THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Cannot reset oil service warning

12-03-2022, 10:09 AM   #1
Craig in Alabam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i Convertible

Cannot reset oil service warning

Hi Folks,

I have searched and not found anything relating to this.
I just had an oil change done at the dealer on my 2017 230i convertible.
The oil had only been in there less than 2,000 miles.
The service advisor came out to tell me that the technician could not reset the oil service due warning, but that they would diagnose it for $189. I said I was in a hurry and would get back to them.
Sure enough, when I try to reset the oil change interval (by holding in the mileage reset button, etc. I've done this before.) it says "Reset Impossible."
All other items can be reset.
In addition to that, the warning (last screen on the iDrive) now says I have driven 9,000 miles and service is overdue.
I haven't driven 9,000 mile since I've owned the car. I just change the oil every year. This year I let them do it as they were having a special ($99!).

Has anyone else seen this? If so, was there a fix? Apparently it's all new to the tech at my dealership. It's not that big a deal, but I like things to work as they should.

I tried setting the time back a month just for grins. The warning triangle went from red to yellow and the warning screen just said Oil Service Due Soon (or something like that). But still could not reset the oil service.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Cheers!
Craig
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 01:39 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Does your oil level report correctly, or do you get an error? Damaged oil sensor wiring or a faulty sensor can prevent the oil service reset. There are also a few other things that can be tried, this thread covers most of them: https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/e...ssible.914893/
Appreciate 1
dradernh4422.00
      12-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #3
Craig in Alabam
Private
Rep

Thanks, Aerobod!
Oil level works fine and says level is at max.
I should have added that my oil service was due 11-2022, and I went in on Dec. 1st. That never seemed to matter before, though.
In any case, I will check out the link you sent.
Thanks again for the help!
Craig
Appreciate 1
Mike F.103.00
      12-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
Craig in Alabam
Private
Rep

No kidding!

Craig
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
darkcomet
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Craig,

I had the same problem on my 2018 M240i.
When I tried to clear the messages using the method of holding down the trip meter and doing the reset interval this way and that's when I got the same messages.
"Engine Oil Reset Impossible" and "Vehicle Service Check Reset Impossible" I believe is what they were.

I was able to resolve by using the ISTA software and performing a reset with the car in accessory mode and connected to a laptop. You might be able to do this with one of those apps like Carly but I'm not sure. You need a laptop, an OBD to ETH adapter and lots of patience getting ISTA set up and learning about it. There's a couple videos on youtube by George Austers that are very helpful.

I'll end by saying I knew both the oil had been changed and knew that the vehicle had been serviced by a non BMW dealership, so wasn't super worried about the messages being there.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0