THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Recaro SR-6 GK100S review

02-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW m235i F22

Question Recaro SR-6 GK100S review

I have tried SR-7 seats but felt it was too similar to stock seats (it was comfortable but not body hugging enough). I have also tried Sportsters seats but felt it did not provide not enough shoulder support and it's more expensive than SR-6 and SR-7. Thus I got these SR-6 seats from Japan. SR-6 is more body hugging than SR-7 and sportsters. It has great pelvis, waist and shoulder support. Much less expensive than sportsters seats. Looks good too! Comfortable enough for me in long drives.

Drawbacks: It's cloth so it needs occasional maintenance down the road. No side seat airbags (the rail kits comes with the side airbag canceller). Getting in and out of the rear seats is slightly more troublesome (space is a bit reduced even with seats all the way front and folded). Getting in and out of these seats requires a bit more effort than stock seats because of the raised sides but is not difficult.

Overall I'm happy with these seats.
For those interested, the seat rails product number is 2014.024.1 (L) and 2014.024.2 (R)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep
Drives: 15' Silver Metallic M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS View Post
I have tried SR-7 seats but felt it was too similar to stock seats (it was comfortable but not body hugging enough). I have also tried Sportsters seats but felt it did not provide not enough shoulder support and it's more expensive than SR-6 and SR-7. Thus I got these SR-6 seats from Japan. SR-6 is more body hugging than SR-7 and sportsters. It has great pelvis, waist and shoulder support. Much less expensive than sportsters seats. Looks good too! Comfortable enough for me in long drives.

Drawbacks: It's cloth so it needs occasional maintenance down the road. No side seat airbags (the rail kits comes with the side airbag canceller). Getting in and out of the rear seats is slightly more troublesome (space is a bit reduced even with seats all the way front and folded). Getting in and out of these seats requires a bit more effort than stock seats because of the raised sides but is not difficult.

Overall I'm happy with these seats.
For those interested, the seat rails product number is 2014.024.1 (L) and 2014.024.2 (R)
What did the weight saving turn out to be over the OEM seats?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Would really like to install those seats in my car. I wonder if the fabric is the same from years ago - I really liked the after market cloth they used to use.

Last edited by overcoil; 02-22-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
What did the weight saving turn out to be over the OEM seats?
I didn't get a chance to weight the OEM seats but it's definitely much heavier than the recaro. The recaro SR-6 s is 15kg (33 lbs) each (not including the rails).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Woul really like to install those seats in my car. I wonder if the fabric is the same from years ago - I really liked the after market cloth they used to use.
Hmm..not sure about the fabric from years ago. The one I have has 2 materials : kamui black cloth and the glass mesh black on the bottom and lumbar/back area. The glass mesh feels smoother and more durable.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #5
Quicksilver_M235
Marshal Of The State
Rep
Drives: 15' Silver Metallic M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAY-OS View Post
I didn't get a chance to weight the OEM seats but it's definitely much heavier than the recaro. The recaro SR-6 s is 15kg (33 lbs) each (not including the rails).
Just an FYI, the stock seats weigh in at around 47.5 lbs (w/rail) each.
Found that spec from a parts distributor.

So you knocked out just shy of 30 lbs (though a bit less since you mentioned that did not include the rails).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 03:25 AM   #6
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
Just an FYI, the stock seats weigh in at around 47.5 lbs (w/rail) each.
Found that spec from a parts distributor.

So you knocked out just shy of 30 lbs (though a bit less since you mentioned that did not include the rails).
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to shed more weight than that but it's better than nothing! There are lighter seats around but it will cost significantly more than these SR-6.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

All the better that these have some meat on them - seat is probably one of the most essential safety items, and not a place to skimp on strength, especially w/o a full cage (you hope you never need it, but that is what keeps you from jetting out the back or side window in some crashes).

And they look great too. How hard was the install, and any CEL problems w/ cancelled airbags?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #8
barfastic
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport Pack

Garage List
when you install after markets seats, do u lose all functionality of the m sport seats?

i.e. my seats, go front back, and tilts both the back and the leg cushion.

i understand losing the electric bolster control, but that leg cushion tilt i really like...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:43 AM   #9
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
All the better that these have some meat on them - seat is probably one of the most essential safety items, and not a place to skimp on strength, especially w/o a full cage (you hope you never need it, but that is what keeps you from jetting out the back or side window in some crashes).

And they look great too. How hard was the install, and any CEL problems w/ cancelled airbags?
I brought it to a shop for installation. The shop is experienced with installing recaro's (which is good because instructions are in Japanese). It looked straightforward. Install rails on new seats, remove old seats, install the cancel side airbag thingy, then install new seats. No CEL with the cancelled airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
when you install after markets seats, do u lose all functionality of the m sport seats?

i.e. my seats, go front back, and tilts both the back and the leg cushion.

i understand losing the electric bolster control, but that leg cushion tilt i really like...
Yep, pretty much lose all function except move front/back, and tilt back seats. But I feel the seats are perfect, only need to tilt the back to adjust. I don't find the need to adjust anything else. Of course, you should try the seats first before you make a decision.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00
      02-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Nice. They look great.
      11-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #11
KAY-OS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

7-wood recaro back side and seat side cover review

After almost 2 yrs of daily driving, there appears to be some wear on the low back support. 1-2 stitches are starting to become undone after repeatedly getting in and out of the car. I would have thought the recaro would be more robust than this. Oh well. Perhaps recaro should move the stitches to the side instead of on the edges of the pads.

So one day, I decided to do a search on seat cover/protection for the recaro on Rakuten japan, and lo and behold I found these! A seat side cover and back side cover:
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/carnalead...o-sr6-sgl-ssc/ (Seat Side cover)
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/carnalead...sr6-sgl-brssc/ (Back side cover)

They have another cover that covers the shoulder and the back side together (https://item.rakuten.co.jp/carnalead...8f51c465d4f5a7) but I didn't think it was necessary for me.

I found out the brand of the covers is a company called 7-wood (http://www.7-wood.com/) after it was delivered to me as I didn't pick up the brand name on the rakuten's website. Looks like it's cheaper on their website.

Anyways, decided to try it out. Bought it from Japan on Rakuten. The Quality is amazing. Install was a breeze. It has plastic tabs which will insert underneath the back and seat cushions. It looks totally brand new! Absolutely looks like official recaro gear. Should have gotten these earlier so as to protect the seats. Amazing. Well worth it. Definitely would recommend these for their recaro seats (such as SR-6 or SR-7 and other seats). Check 7-wood website for available covers.
Attached Images

2014 BMW M235i auto. JB4 & EWG connector + BMS BEF (EWG Race 10 map) + BMS WMI kit (dual BM5 nozzles, 80% meth mix, Boost additive 50, Scaling 60, min flow boost 6.5psi), 98 RON/93 oct pump gas, intake, ER CP, Forge BOV, Wagner Evo II competition intercooler, ER kitty-less DP, eisenmann exhaust, quaife LSD
Appreciate 2
overcoil3073.50
WolfGTI716.00