THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

03-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #111
Hemisedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming in March: 2016 BMW M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23fizzer View Post
one other thing which is a bit annoying is that it seems like its the only BMW from the last 10 years that doesn't auto dip the passenger side mirror when reverse gear is engaged.
That's interesting, mine does this.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:36 AM   #112
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
I agree about the LED lighting, but for around $200 you can redo the entire exterior lights.
I did it in less than 1 hr. See Below...

http://deautokey.com/product/bmw-f2x...e-turn-signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Hate is a strong word, but there are a few things that I wish were different:

-the fuel tank is too small.

-even with the sunroof delete, there is barely enough headroom for us long of torso types. Seat should go lower.

-wish the beltline was lower - no resting the elbow on the windowsill in this car.

-Agree that all the running lights should be LED at this point for this price. They are in my '11 328i!

-Wish the color choices were better. At least offer the M235i in Valencia Orange.

-Wish you could get a 228i with Premium Pkg without the sunroof.

-The LSD is just egregiously expensive.

-The fancy big LCD in the extended instrument cluster should do more.

-Wish there was an option to skip iDrive altogether like in the Euro 1-series. I would be perfectly happy with the 2 knobs and 10 buttons that my '11 has.

-Too much gloss plastic and silver highlights in the center dash area - I much preferred the original matt plastic. Will probably back-date to the older parts at some point.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:45 AM   #113
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
No, because on a modern BMW it would be completely pointless. The engine ECU varies the engine coolant temperature widely depending on current operating conditions. An actual gauge would have to be so dumbed down that it would effectively be the same as an idiot light. We already have that. What would be useful is what I think some Subarus have, a little light to tell you the engine isn't up to temp yet. Or the dynamic redline on the tach that the M-cars get.

What should certainly be available for those of us with the extended displays in the instrument cluster is the ability to change the fuel econ gauge to an oil temp gauge. Or at least have a digital readout available.
we have an idiot light? where?

how am i supposed to know when the engine has warmed up without a temp gauge?
Appreciate 3
      03-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #114
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
we have an idiot light? where?

how am i supposed to know when the engine has warmed up without a temp gauge?
OBDII wireless dongle (with a power switch) and Torque. That's the cheapest solution so far. There are far more integrated solutions out there, but for now this one works for me. Bottom right gauge in the display is the engine oil temp. Keep it in limp mode until you get up to 200*.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #115
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
OBDII wireless dongle (with a power switch) and Torque. That's the cheapest solution so far. There are far more integrated solutions out there, but for now this one works for me. Bottom right gauge in the display is the engine oil temp. Keep it in limp mode until you get up to 200*.

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere in the forum but do you have any further details on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #116
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23fizzer
Quote:

sorry if this has been posted elsewhere in the forum but do you have any further details on this?
Check out this thread.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083154

I went with the iSaddle brand dongle and it works. I want to try something with an on/off button though so I ordered this from amazon. Being a cheap a$$ I went with the cheapest one and didn't see that it's shipping from China. I'll have to wait until April to get it. :/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o00_s00

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #117
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Check out this thread.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1083154

I went with the iSaddle brand dongle and it works. I want to try something with an on/off button though so I ordered this from amazon. Being a cheap a$$ I went with the cheapest one and didn't see that it's shipping from China. I'll have to wait until April to get it. :/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o00_s00
wow that's very helpful. thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #118
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
I agree about the LED lighting, but for around $200 you can redo the entire exterior lights.
I did it in less than 1 hr. See Below...

http://deautokey.com/product/bmw-f2x...e-turn-signals
yeah, same here! i had 1 small issue though, the bulb went out but they replaced it quickly with their lifetime warranty and so far 0 issues, only compliments and enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #119
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I use my old Android Nexus 4 along with OBDLx bluetooth which is on sale for $49.95. It has automatic shut off so you never have to look at the thing again. I recently was away from my car for a month so I can verify that the automatic shut off works fine. https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxb...FUQbgQodWmAAuQ
I've been happy with the setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #120
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Does anyone else feel like the torque is lacking and driver engagement is a bit numb? Coming from an E39 M5 this may seem a bit absurd to some, maybe my expectations are too high, but I think because of the weight of the 2er is doesn't feel "peppy" off the line like the 135i does. A good example is when you're sitting at 1500-2000 RPM and just want to floor it, you aren't going to pull very hard unless you downshift. Thoughts? Maybe somethings wrong with mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #121
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Does anyone else feel like the torque is lacking and driver engagement is a bit numb? Coming from an E39 M5 this may seem a bit absurd to some, maybe my expectations are too high, but I think because of the weight of the 2er is doesn't feel "peppy" off the line like the 135i does. A good example is when you're sitting at 1500-2000 RPM and just want to floor it, you aren't going to pull very hard unless you downshift. Thoughts? Maybe somethings wrong with mine.
Sounds like it's chip time

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #122
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like it's chip time
I was thinking the same, but does the chip help with lower end torque or just in the higher rev range? Also wondering if intake/exhaust might help with responsiveness.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #123
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
I think you can't expect a 6 banger to have grunt torque like a V8. The M235 has plenty of power but you have to drive it differently than a V8, if you have an automatic it needs to be in Sport if you want it to respond without hesitation when you floor it. If you have a manual you have to shift it within the Turbo power curve.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #124
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I use my old Android Nexus 4 along with OBDLx bluetooth which is on sale for $49.95. It has automatic shut off so you never have to look at the thing again. I recently was away from my car for a month so I can verify that the automatic shut off works fine. https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-lxb...FUQbgQodWmAAuQ
Nice, I like the auto-shut off feature.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #125
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you can't expect a 6 banger to have grunt torque like a V8. The M235 has plenty of power but you have to drive it differently than a V8, if you have an automatic it needs to be in Sport if you want it to respond without hesitation when you floor it. If you have a manual you have to shift it within the Turbo power curve.
That's true. I guess it will be a combination of staying in the higher rev range with spirited driving (not used to that) and maybe adding some performance bolt-ons to satisfy the speed freak inside.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:16 AM   #126
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

Quote:
one other thing which is a bit annoying is that it seems like its the only BMW from the last 10 years that doesn't auto dip the passenger side mirror when reverse gear is engaged.
Mine does it, you need to have the mirror selector in the left position for it to work.
Appreciate 1
Jeaux1.50
      03-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #127
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLR View Post
Mine does it, you need to have the mirror selector in the left position for it to work.
yeah, tried that. still doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #128
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Shame. This is the first car I've driven with it and it's really handy. I didn't even know the mirror dipping was a thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #129
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This looks to be the same thing for $20? Idk, I'll give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&psc=1&smid=

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #130
Xi-Xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWKLR View Post
As was said, there are 2-series that don't have this functionality regardless of the button position. like mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #131
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRingoI View Post
As was said, there are 2-series that don't have this functionality regardless of the button position. like mine.
That sucks. I actually found it pretty useful twice today.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #132
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Maybe it can be coded in...?
Appreciate 0