THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning m240i Dinan Stage 1 drive train malfunction

09-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #45
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Soo apparently, CalgaryBMW is not a Dinan dealership anymore, and the car is going to be towed to a Dinan dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #46
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

CalgaryBMW is still a Dinan dealer. They just don't want to work on it because of outstanding payment and they didn't do the installation. My new service advisor is an ass so the basically lied to me. My good service advisor is on vacation...

Now it is just Dinan dealership discussing with Dinan as to how to get paid.

So the car is in limbo again......
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #47
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakoMako View Post
CalgaryBMW is still a Dinan dealer. They just don't want to work on it because of outstanding payment and they didn't do the installation. My new service advisor is an ass so the basically lied to me. My good service advisor is on vacation...

If you can request it - Request the Vehicle to be towed to Bavaria BMW in edmonton. Im not to sure if we deal with Dinan anymore but the only other dealer i can think of would be Edmonton bmw..and lets just say there are some very sketchy/shady technicians there.

If they say yes PM me and you can request me as the tech to work on it. I enjoy what i do and enjoy the brand.
Sorry to hear about your car never seen something like that happen at all. Pretty crazy to be honest.

If it does go to Edmonton BMW let me know as well.. i can get ahold of the Shop foreman there and make sure the car is taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #48
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Quote:

If you can request it - Request the Vehicle to be towed to Bavaria BMW in edmonton. Im not to sure if we deal with Dinan anymore but the only other dealer i can think of would be Edmonton bmw..and lets just say there are some very sketchy/shady technicians there.

If they say yes PM me and you can request me as the tech to work on it. I enjoy what i do and enjoy the brand.
Sorry to hear about your car never seen something like that happen at all. Pretty crazy to be honest.

If it does go to Edmonton BMW let me know as well.. i can get ahold of the Shop foreman there and make sure the car is taken care of.
Thank for the offer.

At the moment, Motorwerkes in Calgary seems like they are willing to take the job. They are sorting the problem out right now with Dinan in-terms of financial issues.

Dinan spoke to me and ensures me that they will take care of my and get the car fixed.

Can confirm that this problem is not a Dinan problem, more of a BMW issue. The car would have failed even without Dinan. Dinan just really committed with their warranty and decided to take the bill.

It is Canada BMW who stated that powertrain warranty is void regardless of any mod to the engine, and that dealerships should no send any warranty claims for the engine when there is any mod on the powertrain.

After this case, I assume Dinan is going to revisit their warranty policies for Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 11:08 PM   #49
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

hmm interesting. At least the car is getting fixed. Dont know anything about Motorwerkes, hopefully it all works out for ya
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #50
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Update: I am still waiting them to actually work on the car. Dinan is sorting out the ways to compensate motorwerkes.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #51
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
Quote:

Thank for the offer.

At the moment, Motorwerkes in Calgary seems like they are willing to take the job. They are sorting the problem out right now with Dinan in-terms of financial issues.

Dinan spoke to me and ensures me that they will take care of my and get the car fixed.

Can confirm that this problem is not a Dinan problem, more of a BMW issue. The car would have failed even without Dinan. Dinan just really committed with their warranty and decided to take the bill.

It is Canada BMW who stated that powertrain warranty is void regardless of any mod to the engine, and that dealerships should no send any warranty claims for the engine when there is any mod on the powertrain.

After this case, I assume Dinan is going to revisit their warranty policies for Canada.
Man, I am super curious why Dinan is footing the bill for this given it has nothing to do with the tune? Doesn't that sound odd to anyone? Man, good on them, but new engine is what, $20k? I get their insurance or accrued $$ cover it, but still.

And out of curiosity, I think somewhere in these threads it was mentioned that the bolt that got sucked into the turbo came from the intake; just curious if your intake was stock or aftermarket?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #52
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Man, I am super curious why Dinan is footing the bill for this given it has nothing to do with the tune? Doesn't that sound odd to anyone? Man, good on them, but new engine is what, $20k? I get their insurance or accrued $$ cover it, but still.

And out of curiosity, I think somewhere in these threads it was mentioned that the bolt that got sucked into the turbo came from the intake; just curious if your intake was stock or aftermarket?
As soon as you put a tune on the engine... you are voiding the warranty on the engine.... BMW can say the extra stress on the engine caused the bolt to come out....

A complete engine is probably more like $26k and probably 5-6k for labor ?

Dinan matches the BMW warranty and that's why you pay the exorbitant prices... It really sucks they are going around and around... it's really simple either they pay or not.... maybe they are trying to get BMW to cover some of it... and that's why the dealer won't touch the car till they know they will get paid....
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      09-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #53
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:

As soon as you put a tune on the engine... you are voiding the warranty on the engine.... BMW can say the extra stress on the engine caused the bolt to come out....

A complete engine is probably more like $26k and probably 5-6k for labor ?

Dinan matches the BMW warranty and that's why you pay the exorbitant prices... It really sucks they are going around and around... it's really simple either they pay or not.... maybe they are trying to get BMW to cover some of it... and that's why the dealer won't touch the car till they know they will get paid....
The BMW/Dinan dealership says they don't want to do it because Dinan has only been crediting them instead of actually paying, thus having a bit of outstanding fees.

Now that I am at a pure Dinan dealership, Dinan is figuring out how to pay them to do the job.

I was told the job is going to be around $30k.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #54
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Stock intake. Waiting for Dinan intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:42 PM   #55
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

From the damage photo, it looks as though the compressor retaining nut in the turbo came off. There also seems to be damage to the shaft and lack of threads visible with no shaft end countersink, perhaps indicating the shaft itself fractured and the tip is left in the retaining nut that destroyed the compressor wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 05:32 AM   #56
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
What is the market value of your car?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #57
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
What is the market value of your car?
More than that.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #58
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Sorry if I missed this in the thread when reading through it, but did this happen on a track or regular driving?

I'm curious because I would love to take mine to the track some day but worry that it might not be a good idea to do with the car I rely on for daily transportation. Or even adding boost mods to in the first place, after seeing that some folks are having issues with them.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #59
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Sorry if I missed this in the thread when reading through it, but did this happen on a track or regular driving?

I'm curious because I would love to take mine to the track some day but worry that it might not be a good idea to do with the car I rely on for daily transportation. Or even adding boost mods to in the first place, after seeing that some folks are having issues with them.
Highway
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma519.00
      09-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #60
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
From the damage photo, it looks as though the compressor retaining nut in the turbo came off. There also seems to be damage to the shaft and lack of threads visible with no shaft end countersink, perhaps indicating the shaft itself fractured and the tip is left in the retaining nut that destroyed the compressor wheel?
You are probably correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:42 PM   #61
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Update: CalgaryBMW will do the work. They are now sorting out the payment from Dinan, and work will be started.

Was told by CalgaryBMW that they hope to get the engine ordered by the end of this week. A few more administrative work to go and they can start. It is getting closer.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #62
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio

Mark
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #63
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Finally ordered parts
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #64
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Recieved update for service manager. Parts have arrived, and the car is good to go next Monday
Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      10-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #65
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Update: delayed again. Turbo damaged upon arrival. 2-3 more weeks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #66
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Update: the turbo is coming from Germany. The car will be done in by early November.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00