THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Please clarify what Adaptive M suspension is on the M240i compared to other BMWs

02-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Please clarify what Adaptive M suspension is on the M240i compared to other BMWs

I have a new 2019 M240i that comes standard with Adaptive M Suspension. The drive settings available are Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport Dynamic, and Sport +.

Compare to my 2018 X3 M40i, for example, which has Adaptive M suspension but has the modes Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport +, and Adaptive.

Is Sport Dynamic on the M240i kind of equivalent to Adaptive on the X3 M40i? I did notice that the Sport Dynamic setting has normal steering effort compared to Sport + which has higher effort, leading me to believe that Sport Dynamic probably makes the steering heavier in more spirited driving but I haven't tested yet as I am still in my break-in period.
2002 E46 330i in OB
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The shocks on these cars are simple in design and simply run soft or firm depending on setting. There's nothing constantly adapting to road conditions like in some of the pricier BMWs. All the shocks do on these cars is run in the soft setting in the following modes: ECO, Comfort, Traction (one quick push of the DSC button), or Sport (assuming you've only selected "Drivetrain" as the setting in Sport).

In Sport mode, you can go into settings in IDrive and change a few parameters. You can select "Drivetrain" and it gives you the quicker throttle setting and exhaust burbles, but the shocks and steering are in the softer Comfort setting. If you select "Chassis" then it gives you stiff shocks, stiff steering, but the throttle is in the Comfort setting and the burbles are lessened. If you select Drivetrain/Chassis, then it gives you stiff steering, stiff shocks, Sport throttle, and the louder burbles. Sport+ is all of this plus the stability control allows for the some wheelspin and slip.

DSC Off turns off all nannies, gives you stiff shocks, stiff steering, Comfort throttle for better control, moderate exhaust burbles, engages the electronic "fake" LSD (only mode this is operational), and allows for as much wheel spin and drifting as you want.

Traction gives you soft steering, soft shocks, Comfort throttle, and the stability control allows for the some wheel spin and slip. I find this to be the best setting for most snow light snow driving. Deeper, slippier stuff may need DSC Off.
      02-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
MostlyHarmless
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The shocks on these cars are simple in design can run soft or firm. There's nothing constantly adapting to road conditions like in some of the pricier BMWs. All the shocks do on these cars is run in the soft setting in the following modes: ECO, Comfort, Traction (one quick push of the DSC button), or Sport (assuming you've only selected "Drivetrain" as the setting in Sport).

In Sport mode, you can go into settings in IDrive and change a few parameters. You can select "Drivetrain" and it gives you the quicker throttle setting and exhaust burbles, but the shocks and steering are in the softer Comfort setting. If you select "Chassis" then it gives you stiff shocks, stiff steering, but the throttle is in the Comfort setting and the burbles are lessened. If you select Drivetrain/Chassis, then it gives you stiff steering, stiff shocks, Sport throttle, and the louder burbles. Sport+ is all of this plus the stability control allows for the some wheelspin and slip.

DSC Off turns off all nannies, gives you stiff shocks, stiff steering, Comfort throttle for better control, moderate exhaust burbles, engages the electronic "fake" LSD, and allows for as much wheel spin and drifting as you want.

Traction gives you soft steering, soft shock, Comfort throttle, and the stability control allows for the some wheelspin and slip. I did this to be the best setting for most snow light snow driving. Deeper, slippier stuff may need DSC Off.
Thanks for the thorough explanation; that clears things up as I was kind of thinking that "Sport Dynamic" was similar to Adaptive. After all, the Standard Features list does show "Adaptive M Suspension" for the M240i so I was thinking that meant there was a setting that was truly adaptive, like with the X3 M40i.
2002 E46 330i in OB
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Well it's "adaptive" in the sense that it's two way adjustable, but that's as far as it goes. LOL. The M240/235 suspension in the Sport setting is decent, but it could be better. With these types of setups, spring rates and shock valving are at odds with each other depending on the setting. I'd much prefer just a better well sorted non-adaptive setup like you get on the M2.
      02-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

The Different Modes
The three different modes that you can choose from include comfort mode, sport mode, and sport mode plus. If you are looking for a more relaxed ride, then comfort mode is the one to choose. With this mode, the dampers are balanced out on uneven roads. At the same time, the vibrations are lessened for a smoother experience on the road. These two combined make for a very smooth ride that will allow you to relax and enjoy the journey even more. On the other end, if you are looking for something a bit more sport based, then the sport mode is calling your name. While using this mode, the dampers are tightened and you get a more athletic suspension.

you can feel the difference, a little. But all it does it make putting coilovers in a pain in the ass since you need the edc kit and probably still some coding to remove the option.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0