THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Advice on tuning my 2016 M235

02-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
SPDER
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Advice on tuning my 2016 M235

Hey guys!

I just got my CPO 2016 M235 with 20,000km last week. I love this car especially the Xdrive in our Canadian winters and roads. That being said I came from a 400whp MK7 GTI and I'm definitely looking for more power.

I've already ordered a 5" FMIC, 4" decatted downpipe and a chargepipe. I've also done quiet a few forums researches and basic research on the tune that I want. I've narrowed it down to 2 possible options and I think the answer is clear that the BM3 is far superior than the JB4.

I have an extended premium warranty unlimited mileage or 8 more years and I paid a hefty price tag for it. But honestly, it was the sales rep who recommended it and sold me on it!

My car is already equipped with the MPE. Now the only reason I am leaning towards the BM3 is mainly for the blurble tune and just reading on how responsive the BM3 is vs. the JB4.

I know JB4 isn't a mickey mouse company and they are still very capable devices to increase power.

I need some honest opinions and people with experience possibly with both to fully sell me on one or the other. Also what are the horsepower/torque numbers like?

And just to mention, my good buddy is the head manager at the parts/mechanic department and said he would take care of me if I did have infact a warranty claim, but he still mentioned that the BM3 would possibly get flagged before the JB4 would.

If I tend to still go with the BM3, does the motor and tranny support it? Is it reliable with a FBO setup? What problems can I be facing in terms of failing parts?

People with the JB4 running this setup, how is it? Is it responsive, does it tend to have some hiccups if its not fine tuned by someone at BMS?

I just need to be sold 110% before I proceed going forward.

EDIT: Someone also told me to use a JB4 with the MHD tune added? Thoughts?

Last edited by SPDER; 02-09-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDER View Post
Hey guys!

I just got my CPO 2016 M235 with 20,000km last week. I love this car especially the Xdrive in our Canadian winters and roads. That being said I came from a 400whp MK7 GTI and I'm definitely looking for more power.

I've already ordered a 5" FMIC, 4" decatted downpipe and a chargepipe. I've also done quiet a few forums researches and basic research on the tune that I want. I've narrowed it down to 2 possible options and I think the answer is clear that the BM3 is far superior than the JB4.

I have an extended premium warranty unlimited mileage or 8 more years and I paid a hefty price tag for it. But honestly, it was the sales rep who recommended it and sold me on it!

My car is already equipped with the MPE. Now the only reason I am leaning towards the BM3 is mainly for the blurble tune and just reading on how responsive the BM3 is vs. the JB4.

I know JB4 isn't a mickey mouse company and they are still very capable devices to increase power.

I need some honest opinions and people with experience possibly with both to fully sell me on one or the other. Also what are the horsepower/torque numbers like?

And just to mention, my good buddy is the head manager at the parts/mechanic department and said he would take care of me if I did have infact a warranty claim, but he still mentioned that the BM3 would possibly get flagged before the JB4 would.

If I tend to still go with the BM3, does the motor and tranny support it? Is it reliable with a FBO setup? What problems can I be facing in terms of failing parts?

People with the JB4 running this setup, how is it? Is it responsive, does it tend to have some hiccups if its not fine tuned by someone at BMS?

I just need to be sold 110% before I proceed going forward.

EDIT: Someone also told me to use a JB4 with the MHD tune added? Thoughts?
So i have bm3 and honestly man i love it, it literally is as smooth as stock but with much more power. Also gives you the freedom to pick and choose your burble settings and a few other things from within the map. There are also many tuners that are listed within bm3 that can make custom tunes and further improve it for you. And not to mention that PTF is literally the best in the business and their customer support is amazing!
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
SPDER
Rep

Thank you for your reply.

I heard many great responses and read so much positive feed back about BM3. But is it reliable for your platform? I know the N55's are really strong motors!

And will this likely completely void my powertrain warranty?
Is it that easy to detect?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
since you paid for extended warranty I would suggest not getting a jb4 or bm3. Both are easily detectable if something goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:51 AM   #5
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

Go bm3 stage 2 you will love it you have all the supporting hardware. The power band feels so oem just insanely fast. Do the ngk spark plugs as well, I have done them, some people say it's not necessary though?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
SPDER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
since you paid for extended warranty I would suggest not getting a jb4 or bm3. Both are easily detectable if something goes wrong.
I heard that the BM3 can be detected really easily. But the JB4 cant be found right away.

But yes, if BMW really wanted, they could detect both.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
SPDER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
Go bm3 stage 2 you will love it you have all the supporting hardware. The power band feels so oem just insanely fast. Do the ngk spark plugs as well, I have done them, some people say it's not necessary though?
Thanks for the advice, my main concern was my warranty. Shouldn't have purchased the additional extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #8
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

and with power, you need braking..

so upgrade to slotted rotors and ebc yellow, motul 600 or better fluid.
and you'll never use the free brakes that you paid extra for.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
slow_f22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, my main concern was my warranty. Shouldn't have purchased the additional extended warranty.
with which ever tune you get BMW can detect it as previously stated, with your buddy in the department you have a better chance than anyone else since you have a inside man. with that said doing any modifications to your car can void warranty if it is diagnosed that those mods caused the issue. personally i wouldn't of gotten the warranty knowing i have a buddy who could hook me up and help me in a situation of repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
khoanguyen0705
Kh Ng
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 F83

Same boat here. I have JB Stage 1 for my 14 m235i and love it. But definitely want more torque. I did some research about both JB4 and BM3, and man BM3 got me at the burble and pops sounding in the exhaust note. My thought about both products are same in term of power delivered. JB4 has the advantage of how easy installation is. While some people have to go to a local tuner to install the BM3 (or I'm not a noob for not installing it by myself )
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoanguyen0705 View Post
Same boat here. I have JB Stage 1 for my 14 m235i and love it. But definitely want more torque. I did some research about both JB4 and BM3, and man BM3 got me at the burble and pops sounding in the exhaust note. My thought about both products are same in term of power delivered. JB4 has the advantage of how easy installation is. While some people have to go to a local tuner to install the BM3 (or I'm not a noob for not installing it by myself )
Hi Khoa,
Glad to see you on the forums. You can pass by our shop at anytime, i will show you how to load BM3 for free.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #12
khoanguyen0705
Kh Ng
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi Khoa,
Glad to see you on the forums. You can pass by our shop at anytime, i will show you how to load BM3 for free.
Hi Mike,
Honestly I'm leaning towards BM3 for the long run. Since you said that thank you so much in advance. I definitely will get it from our shop as soon as someone would pick up my stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Hi Mike,
Honestly I'm leaning towards BM3 for the long run. Since you said that thank you so much in advance. I definitely will get it from our shop as soon as someone would pick up my stage 1.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:43 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
+1 for BM3
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for your reply.

I heard many great responses and read so much positive feed back about BM3. But is it reliable for your platform? I know the N55's are really strong motors!

And will this likely completely void my powertrain warranty?
Is it that easy to detect?
I mean i drive my car pretty damn hard and have done so for like 30k or so and it has been FLAWLESS, the BM3 stage 2 tune paired with a custom map by the man himself CaryTheLabelGuy is honestly perfect man. But as some others have mentioned, if you are really concerned about keeping your warranty tuning your car may not be the best option. But again, BM3+Cary's map= perfect
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0