THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics CarPlay and texting

01-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
MichBadger
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240ix vert

CarPlay and texting

I still haven't spent a lot of time in my new car, as I'm waiting for the snow to pass here in Michigan. When purchased, the BMW Genius could not get Carplay to work in the car but I had a 13 hour drive in front of me, so didn't want to spend any more time trying.

I'm used to using Carplay in a Ford with a touch screen. I was able to use the voice commands to have it read and respond to text messages. I was able to get the carplay screen to come on in the BMW but so far can't seem to use voice commands to get it to do anything. I've used search and see lots of issues with Carplay, but haven't been able to see if anyone is successfully using it for receiving an sending text messages with voice commands.

Anyone able to do this?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

How are you trying to trigger the voice commands? Pushing the voice button the steering wheel triggers the BMW voice command system, pushing AND HOLDING the same button for a few seconds gets you Siri.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:59 PM   #3
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
I believe if you hit this button while CarPlay is active you can tell Siri "send message to.."
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 06:33 AM   #4
MichBadger
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
How are you trying to trigger the voice commands? Pushing the voice button the steering wheel triggers the BMW voice command system, pushing AND HOLDING the same button for a few seconds gets you Siri.
Yes, was using the steering wheel button. I will try holding it, rather than just pressing it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
MichBadger
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichBadger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Yes, was using the steering wheel button. I will try holding it, rather than just pressing it. Thanks.
Holding the button works. Thank you!
      02-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichBadger View Post
Holding the button works. Thank you!
FYI, this works without Carplay as well. As long as you're connected via bluetooth, holding will activate Siri (to text or do whatever else).
Appreciate 0