THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dealer says they can't read drivetrain malfunction codes from a week ago??

10-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Dealer says they can't read drivetrain malfunction codes from a week ago??

My car has thrown this code 3 times now (drivetrain malfunction, full power not available, drive conservatively). Each time it goes into what I think is 'limp mode' - uneven running especially under acceleration. All 3 times I was accelerating fairly suddenly and turning at the same time (rapid lane change to avoid rearending s/b who panic braked, gunning it as I make a right turn for a truck coming over blind ridge). First 2 times it returned to normal after momentary shutdown. Last time it took a few hours of sitting. It has never done this (even thru 5 track days, one of which had the low fuel warning going), but those aren't the same kind of abrupt throttle/turn combo that brought it out initially.

Q #1: Dealership tells me, that they can't pull codes to Dx anything, since it has been turned on and off a few times since then, would have to still be malfunctioning for them to Dx anything. Can that be true?? I thought they could pull all kinds of historical details, like to find if you're running tunes, etc. (I'm not, I'm full stock, but what I read sounds like they can get a ton of old data).

Q #2 is ideas about what is causing this - I'm suspecting rapid shift uncovers fuel pump (but no mention of low-fuel error) or somehow triggering the yaw-sensor or enough wheelspin-control to make it nervous? This last time, I had the chance to ask Mike Miller, and he thinks it is possibly a sign the battery is going soft, so is there a simple way to Dx that myself (not a lot of trust for dealership, given the above).

I'm still waiting for callback from head SA, hoping to verify it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
My car has thrown this code 3 times now (drivetrain malfunction, full power not available, drive conservatively). Each time it goes into what I think is 'limp mode' - uneven running especially under acceleration. All 3 times I was accelerating fairly suddenly and turning at the same time (rapid lane change to avoid rearending s/b who panic braked, gunning it as I make a right turn for a truck coming over blind ridge). First 2 times it returned to normal after momentary shutdown. Last time it took a few hours of sitting. It has never done this (even thru 5 track days, one of which had the low fuel warning going), but those aren't the same kind of abrupt throttle/turn combo that brought it out initially.

Q #1: Dealership tells me, that they can't pull codes to Dx anything, since it has been turned on and off a few times since then, would have to still be malfunctioning for them to Dx anything. Can that be true?? I thought they could pull all kinds of historical details, like to find if you're running tunes, etc. (I'm not, I'm full stock, but what I read sounds like they can get a ton of old data).

Q #2 is ideas about what is causing this - I'm suspecting rapid shift uncovers fuel pump (but no mention of low-fuel error) or somehow triggering the yaw-sensor or enough wheelspin-control to make it nervous? This last time, I had the chance to ask Mike Miller, and he thinks it is possibly a sign the battery is going soft, so is there a simple way to Dx that myself (not a lot of trust for dealership, given the above).

I'm still waiting for callback from head SA, hoping to verify it is possible.
#2 did your traction control light trigger on the dash while this happened? If so, it could possibly the yaw rate sensor which is designed for safety measure. It could be the reason your car went into limp just to protect you by cutting power to the engine significantly. It is odd that dealer can't pull that code though. You'd think the car's computer would log that sort of deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I don't recall that - it did ping the check engine light, and the written warning on the dash-screen, but the combo of suddenly going into what feels like 3-cylinder-mode, and the pinging warnings would have distracted me enough I can't be sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
biz4two
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 f22 n20 228i

Arrow

OP ... The easiest way...IMHO...is to pull the codes yourself? Do you have a basic code reader?

Also, the codes should be stored...even if the check engine light goes off.

biz
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0