THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Battery Discharging when vehicle stopped

12-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #23
v4257
Rep
Drives: None

I'm the OP and posting an update in Dec 18.

In early 18 the dealer said that the car had 'unauthorized wakes' when locked. They looked around and found that insulation on the wiring harness had rodent chew marks on it (argh!). They had me replace the main engine wiring harness. I also put down a *lot* of rat poison in my garage. :-)

Sadly this did not fix the issue. But the messages went away in the summer.

With the cold weather here - the message is back and I took it back to the dealer they finally agreed that something is wrong. They spoke to BMW engineering and they were asked to change the comfort access door handles. The parts are enroute from Germany to USA right now.

If you get this message - there is a parasitic drain. The battery is not low - that's a different message.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #24
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Don't mean to necro-post, but I'm starting to hit this as well. After getting a second vehicle, due to my kids getting bigger, I'm starting to drive my M235 a lot less. It can sit up to 4 days at a time. Is it my battery or do I just need to hook up a battery tender on the off periods?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:12 PM   #25
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

A good battery will not die after sitting 4 days unless there's a draw on it besides the normal memory retentions.
Appreciate 1
BentZero622.50
      01-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #26
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
A good battery will not die after sitting 4 days unless there's a draw on it besides the normal memory retentions.
True this. I travel for work so my car sits at the airport long term parking for up to 9 days at a time and I've never had an issue with any of my three BMW's over the past 10 years.
Appreciate 1
BentZero622.50
      01-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #27
v4257
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Don't mean to necro-post, but I'm starting to hit this as well. After getting a second vehicle, due to my kids getting bigger, I'm starting to drive my M235 a lot less. It can sit up to 4 days at a time. Is it my battery or do I just need to hook up a battery tender on the off periods?
OP here. I do hook up a battery tender sometimes - but for my car - this is an unrelated issue.

The message is saying that the battery was draining while car was off for some reason. The message is not saying that the battery is low. You battery can be 100% charged (as shown by tender/multimeter) and you can still get this message. Interestingly - I never get this alert in the summer - only in cold temps.

I get the alert less often after they changed the comfort access handles but I still get it. The rest of the car is amazing - but this issue does not want to die.

If your dealer does figure it out - please share it here. So far - 3 years in - I do not have a real fix for this.
Appreciate 1
BentZero622.50
      01-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #28
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Now that I think about it I do have a Bluetooth OBDII dongle that I leave plugged in 24/7. It's probably constantly drawing power, but I've had it for years now. I'll unplug it and see what happens.

I also only ever see the message when it's cold though. Very strange.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:08 AM   #29
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Now that I think about it I do have a Bluetooth OBDII dongle that I leave plugged in 24/7. It's probably constantly drawing power, but I've had it for years now. I'll unplug it and see what happens.

I also only ever see the message when it's cold though. Very strange.
Cold weather strains the battery more so it could be that the amps are being read by the computer and throwing the error message. My vehicle does it ever time I get into it and I drive 20 minutes each way to work, but I also have a camera that constantly records until the battery gets to low, then it auto shuts off.
Appreciate 1
BentZero622.50
      10-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #30
jackyfame
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430I GC

Hey guys, I'm new and have similiar issues with my 2019 BMW 430i GC. I had my battery replaced and returned in OEM parts such as steering wheel, turning signal blinkers, and intake. However, I am still getting the drainage issue with my car as well. My mechanical said the drain is pretty big and it is possible it is from terminal 15, which is the startstop button. Now my car is in the dealership and they discovered there is tuned. Hopefully they don't void my warranty, but if they do. And they decide to help me and try to fix the problem and make me purchase all these parts and it isn't fixed. Would I be refunded or I will I just be paying for the parts even if it doesn't get fixed.. Sorry for the rant, it's honestly annoying dealing with this car that has only been 1 year old..
Appreciate 0