THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Easy BMW iDrive Coding!

10-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Pahzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 GS OYSTER

Easy BMW iDrive Coding!

Well hello there,

For those who do not know, bimmertech offers coding via the usb drive in your car. $35 per coding option.... or $200 for there full set of coding features.

This seems like an much easier alternative to what seems to me like a complicated process - coding.

From my research, there are clearly more options available to code than bimmertech offers, and I figure a motivated DIY'er could get everything they offer, coded, for less $$

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/bmw-idrive-coding/
      10-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahzel View Post
Well hello there,

For those who do not know, bimmertech offers coding via the usb drive in your car. $35 per coding option.... or $200 for there full set of coding features.

This seems like an much easier alternative to what seems to me like a complicated process - coding.

From my research, there are clearly more options available to code than bimmertech offers, and I figure a motivated DIY'er could get everything they offer, coded, for less $$

You just need a $20 cable and all the tutorials and tools are readily available....

Also with the cable you can code all ECUs not just iDrive...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #3
Pahzel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 GS OYSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
You just need a $20 cable and all the tutorials and tools are readily available....

Whats the difference between just coding iDrive vs coding the ECUs
      10-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I would consider it but won't work with my NBT EVO.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Whats the difference between just coding iDrive vs coding the ECUs
that you can only make changes to the iDrive module....

you can't change anything like seatbealts, headlights, cameras, locking doors etc. etc
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      10-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #6
Rommel42
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 2016

Quote:
that you can only make changes to the iDrive module....

you can't change anything like seatbealts, headlights, cameras, locking doors etc. etc
Totally agree! E-sys is the way to go.The E-net cable is cheap,and you get all the support you need right here.

_Rommel42
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Usually I'm all for businesses providing services someone can do them self for a fee, but this feels like a borderline scam.

Sheeeeeit, come to me and I'll do all that for $10, takes like ten minutes tops.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

I'm too paranoid that I'll brick my car, otherwise I'd definitely go the e-sys route.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Well hello there,

There are well put together guides in step-by-step pictorial walkthroughs as well as videos. For F-series coding, E-sys is the way to go and not that complicated as soon as you understand the basic.

There are both Cheat Codes built into E-sys Launcher as well as fully tested Cheat Sheets.

I am not sure if you are trying to convince yourself to spend the money, but nothing wrong with having it done if you are not inclined to learn and do it yourself..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
I would consider it but won't work with my NBT EVO.
Most of the coding the works on NBT, except Video in Motion, works on NBT_EVO.

Quote:
I'm too paranoid that I'll brick my car, otherwise I'd definitely go the e-sys route.
You are more likely to brick your vehicle if you try flash programming. Just stick to the well tested coding and follow warnings and you should be fine.

When it doubt, reach out to the community first.

There is also the option to have it coded for much less by those who know what they are doing as well as provide tutorial lessons both in person and remotely.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Coding for $200??

Quote:
Hey bub!

I wanted to reply to this thread & your post. I am certainly not going to claim I am a Luddite... but I am no computer expert. I know exactly enough to be dangerous.

And I was also way concerned I was going to brick my car.

Cliche, I know - but if I can code, ANYONE can. Now, I had an experienced coder with me, but he did one change & had me do the rest. PAINFULLY easy.

I can tell you it is NEAR IMPOSSIBLE to brick your car with the coding/changes folks will be doing. Use the various tutorials & cheat sheets, none of them are showing you any changes that will kill your car. Plus, they really help.

First - at no time did the "code default values" button become active so that I could have clicked on it by mistake. It was grayed out the ENTIRE time I was doing my stuff. You can't kill your car with this button, unless you do whatever it takes to make that button active. And I have no idea what that is. And neither do you so.. unlikely you will activate it.

You already know if you do activate it - DON'T click it.

Second - If you follow the cheat sheets, nothing you are doing is vital to the car's operation. You go into the modules (which are in alphabetical order) and make your changes in those only & on the specific elements within the module. You can't select something by mistake when you're coding seatbelt chimes or angel eye brightness.

E-sys tests your changes for errors & will tell you if you have one. Entire time I coded - not one error. I followed the cheat sheet to the letter.

You can make multiple changes in one module & then code the FDL (many videos show making & coding one change at a time as examples. You can make & code multiple changes in the same module.) Move to the next module & make your changes in there, then code FDL again.

If you try to navigate to another module before saving changes, E-sys tells you that unsaved changes were made & prompts you to save. Just make it easy on yourself & code one module at a time.

I am using terms from e-sys folks might be unfamiliar with, but once you are in there you will see what I mean.

Third - what I did, once I was ready to do code a change, I just searched E-sys for the parameter I wanted to change from the coding cheat sheet. For example:

- you want to change the angel eye brightness. According to the cheat sheet, that is in the FEM BODY module & there are 4 parameters you have to code. (Note that there are NUMEROUS changes you can make in the FEM BODY module.)
- open the excel cheat sheet, copy the cell with "MAPPING_STANDL_V_L_PWM_LEVEL_STANDARD" in it.
- in e-sys, at the top of the coding page, there is a search function. Paste the cell contents & check the end for an extra space & delete it if there. Then search. E-sys will take you right to the parameter to code.
- Read it (E-sys function), then expand the folder once E-Sys completes that. Right click the parameter you want to code, select edit & change the value per the cheat sheet.

I used this video:

The guy's voice/accent will annoy you intensely and there is some dead space, but this video is what I used to get HOW to do the coding (not WHAT to code). He only shows you a couple of examples but his steps are SPOT ON.

He also uses a virtual machine running windows XP on a Mac. E-sys appears VERY VERY slow to read/load the modules & code them. On my computer, reading the FA, Code FDL - everything - ran WAY faster. Almost instant.

Notice in his video that the "Code default values" button never becomes active - even when he points out not to click it.

If you can follow directions & use any kind of software program, then you can do this, too. All I can say is trust me - it's that easy.

It was really great/fun to code something & then see it work. By the second one, I was flying through changes using the search function & I coded a ton of stuff. All of them worked!
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      11-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #11
mwickens
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Convertible

My God, what a UI disaster. There must be a better way. Not looking forward to tackling this when my car arrives -- and I design and code software for a living.
      11-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Hey MASH,

Appreciate the detail. I'm frustrated with the other "options" so I'm going to give this a shot.

Thanks again for the added insight.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Anyone tried to disable GPS/Cellular functions on a 2 series yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #14
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well hello there,

You shouldn't pay anyone to code. I am as dumb as a box of hair, terrified I was going to brick my car, and I did it.

It's not difficult or confusing at all (if you can boil water...) What makes it seem difficult is watching the vids & tutorials without context. None of it clicked for me until I was actually IN E-sys. And once I was, holy shizznit, it's a no brainer. Pikachu's cheat sheet is a godsend.

It literally takes SECONDS to code a change. Get the software & cable from TokenMaster, use Pikachu's cheat sheet & watch this video/use it to follow along while you code:

That video is a little cryptic - it's not really giving you a full explanation of what you're looking at/doing. It shows you HOW to code, though (not what to code) and that's what you need to know.

But...

I am gonna post a step-by-step process, with explanations for what you're looking at & what exactly to do.

And, I am gonna offer up walk-throughs/how to's FOR FREE if:

- you have obtained & installed the software from TokenMaster (as that is what I used), all of the other necessary files, and you have the cable.
- watch that video above
- have Pikachu's cheat sheet, have read it & have the list of stuff you want to code.

For free, folks! I will help you do it!!

Watch for my step-by-step walk through with helpful hints & tips. It'll be long, but helpful.

I might even answer PMs asking for help/advice.

You will not need anyone to do this for you, please - trust me on that. Save your money or donate it to charity.

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #15
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey MASH,

Appreciate the detail. I'm frustrated with the other "options" so I'm going to give this a shot.

I am gonna post a step by step with detailed explanations. Not on every item that can be coded - on the "HOW" to code. There are 2 forms of coding - picking an option from a drop-down menu list, or changing a hexidecimal value.

Hopefully they will help!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #16
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65
Quote:
Hey MASH,

I am gonna post a step by step with detailed explanations. Not on every item that can be coded - on the "HOW" to code. There are 2 forms of coding - picking an option from a drop-down menu list, or changing a hexidecimal value.

Hopefully they will help!
Great. Thanks for doing this. I'll start by digging up the necessary bits.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwickens View Post
My God, what a UI disaster. There must be a better way. Not looking forward to tackling this when my car arrives -- and I design and code software for a living.
There are updated version of E-sys and E-sys launcher. If you design software for a living, then you will have no trouble with the interface. I have step-by-step guides, if interested, as well as the launcher runs on top of E-sys coding software with added features like Cheat Codes to check desired options and quickly apply. And, F-series coding is a lot more straight forward than E-series.

Plus, there is very helpful community to offer in person tutorials or remotely.

If you choose not to code yourself, there always is the option to have it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Why do you want to disable the GPS?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #18
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwickens View Post
There are updated version of E-sys and E-sys launcher. If you design software for a living, then you will have no trouble with the interface. I have step-by-step guides, if interested, as well as the launcher runs on top of E-sys coding software with added features like Cheat Codes to check desired options and quickly apply. And, F-series coding is a lot more straight forward than E-series.

Plus, there is very helpful community to offer in person tutorials or remotely.

If you choose not to code yourself, there always is the option to have it done.

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the step by step guides and launcher? If not, no worries. I'LL do the digging.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #19
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the step by step guides and launcher? If not, no worries. I'LL do the digging.
PM sent (E-sys, Launcher, Psdzdata, NCD / CAFD Tool, & Guides).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #20
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post

GPS and Cellular capabilities/functions

Dont have Nav so there's no need for the function

Please refrain from starting a flame war but bottom line is I want to disable the most intrusive/vulnerable aspects of connected car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #21
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
GPS and Cellular capabilities/functions

Dont have Nav so there's no need for the function

Please refrain from starting a flame war but bottom line is I want to disable the most intrusive/vulnerable aspects of connected car.
If vehicle does not have certain hardware, then those function parameters would be set to not active, from factory. If you are opting to disable rather than upgrade ConnectedDrive, the dealership will disable for you and give you $300 to spend on BMW products.

For example, check CAFD_000000F9 for System_GPS_Receiver & GPS_From_Navi = nicht_aktiv
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      03-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #22
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Quote:
Well hello there,

Where do I buy this cable (e-sys cable?)
Appreciate 0