THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Surround view with BMW connect

12-30-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
bluesman8266
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M240i

I saw a video of the surround view using your phone with the BMW connect app. My 240i is setting at the Port waiting for the boat ride so I can't check. Do you have to have the parking assistance for this to work ? The video was really cool showing you could be miles away from your vehicle and take a look all the way around it. I didn't add that option I'm fairly confident that I can find a parking spot on my own but if it lets you keep a eye on your baby it's almost worth the $200.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I’m assuming you mean 240i? The 2 series doesn’t have surround camera option. The parking assistant is only for automatic parking, in terms of hardware it only adds side PDC sensors, nothing more. The surround camera is currently reserved for 4-5-6-7-8 series (not sure about 3 but if 4 is there it might as well be). So don’t worry, you didn’t miss anything
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:16 AM   #3
bluesman8266
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
I’m assuming you mean 240i? The 2 series doesn’t have surround camera option. The parking assistant is only for automatic parking, in terms of hardware it only adds side PDC sensors, nothing more. The surround camera is currently reserved for 4-5-6-7-8 series (not sure about 3 but if 4 is there it might as well be). So don’t worry, you didn’t miss anything
Thanks, I guess. I was really hoping that it would. I didn't think it had all the extra cameras but I couldn't see how it could have the parking assistance with out them. There must be two different parking things that I'm not understanding. What I read was while driving around the car would alert you about a open parking space. Too do that I was assuming that it had to have the 360 cameras and it sounded way to cheep for the extra technology. And yes I meant 240i.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I see where you are coming from but remember that in the end of the day 2 series is a entry level BMW so not all the tech that it’s bigger siblings have trickled down to it yet. The parking assistant uses PDC’s on the side of the vehicle to determine the size of the parking bay.

Last edited by omera60; 12-31-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

The PDC sensors are not optical, they are ultrasonic. They work kind of like sonar, sending out pings and getting a distance back. They only have a range of a few feet.

The way they work for parking spot size is 'seeing' (actually hearing) the distance change from a close parked car as you drive by next to it, to a relatively far distance in the gap between cars. If the car moves forward enough to 'see' a car sized gap, it alerts you that the spot is big enough.

It's not very accurate, and can easily be fooled by something like a motorcycle in a spot.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #6
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

This is not a factory option, but that doesn't mean it's not possible:

It's also on my future mod list.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 1