THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions DIY: Replace Halogen with LED Headlight Bulb

07-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

DIY: Replace Halogen with LED Headlight Bulb

Are you sick of the bland and boring look of your halogen headlights? Do you believe that a premium automobile such as the BMW 228 should have a sharper lighting look? Well, look no further!

I purchased a set of LED's on Amazon and put them in over this past weekend. Overall, totally worth the $40. The install took some customizing but still worth the time. And no codes! Read below for the official how to:

Product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tools needed:
Flat head screwdriver
Small pliers
Jack (optional)

First, I removed the wheel. May not be completely necessary but I preferred to have more elbow room. (NOTE: When putting the wheel back on, the lug nut ft lbs of torque should be at 103) There's a jack pad area behind the front wheel to raise it up. I recommend the Burger Tuning "Floor Jack Adapter" for ease of use - it's $20 and I've had mine for 5 years.

Floor Jack Adapter: http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html

Name:  jackitup.jpg
Views: 3766
Size:  108.5 KB
Name:  burgertuningjackpad.jpg
Views: 3721
Size:  153.9 KB

Then, you will need to remove the cover by pressing down on the two tabs and pulling out. Should be fairly straight forward.

Name:  openwheelwell.jpg
Views: 3721
Size:  107.4 KB

After this, you will find a black circular cover. Right tightie, lefy loosy - loosen and it will pull off. It may require some effort.

Name:  circularlook.jpg
Views: 3850
Size:  82.2 KB

Now, we need to remove the stock bulb. You will find a silver retaining clip with three points that are locked into different areas. Using a flat head screw driver, I pushed the top down and to the right, which then made the retaining clip move forward. At this point, you should be able to move it up and down as there are still two hinges on the bottom. Remove the entire retaining clip by squeezing both sides to remove it from the bottom hinges. If the clip falls, you can use a magnetic retriever tool to grab it (personal experience). After this is complete, you should easily be able to remove the bulb by pulling the electrical connector off.

Name:  removestock.jpg
Views: 4018
Size:  87.0 KB
Name:  retainingclipopen.jpg
Views: 4152
Size:  86.5 KB
Name:  removeelectricconnecter.jpg
Views: 3722
Size:  65.8 KB

Now comes the tricky part. The LED bulbs I received have a large fan on the rear. This makes it difficult for the stock retaining clip to fit correctly. After reaching out to the vendor, they suggested modifying the stock clip rather than an adapter. As you can see, the retaining clip, as is, doesn't work well:

Name:  retainclipnotgood.jpg
Views: 3681
Size:  59.4 KB

First, you can remove the retaining cover from the LED bulb itself. Just grab it and turn left, it should pull right off.

Name:  removeretainingcover.jpg
Views: 3681
Size:  62.6 KB

Now we need to do some customizing to the stock retaining clip. I don't have good pictures of this as this was a frustrating process but I finally got it to fit. The gist of it is this - you need to widen and flatten it out a bit so that it can clip into the hinges and the locking mechanism at the top (like stock) but also able to hold the new retaining cover in. After you've made adjustments, place the retaining cover you removed from the LED Bulb into the socket like below. Take care not to let it fall - if it falls below it will be a VERY irritating experience!

Name:  retainingcoverin.jpg
Views: 4089
Size:  89.2 KB

The photo I have is below is showing what the end state should look like.

Name:  endresultnew.jpg
Views: 3678
Size:  52.4 KB

Now, you can insert the bulb through the socket, turn right to tighten, and voila, the bulb is in! BEFORE buttoning everything back up - make sure to turn on the lights and verify everything works!

Name:  bulbin.jpg
Views: 3636
Size:  90.0 KB

You should see no codes (this was a surprise - I thought for sure the BMW wouldn't like it.)

Name:  nocodes.jpg
Views: 3662
Size:  79.3 KB

And finally, the end result. A few photos below showing the performance of the bulbs.

Name:  performance1.jpg
Views: 3686
Size:  100.8 KB
Name:  performance2.jpg
Views: 3657
Size:  77.3 KB
Name:  performance3.jpg
Views: 3695
Size:  66.8 KB
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
DasPanda
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White 228i xdrive

Thanks for the post! I was just thinking about buying the same product!
Appreciate 0