THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing First time HPDE, what to bring?

09-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
First time HPDE, what to bring?

I'm doing my first HPDE next weekend in my M235i. I'm doing the NCC BMW CCA event at Summit Point. I've read a bunch of stuff and I have my helmet, torque wrench, window cleaner, oil, brake fluid, etc ready to go. What I can't seem to find is a good list of other stuff to bring, specifically around this area:

1. The rules/guidelines seem to be very strict about not having anything loose in the car while out on the track. That's fine and makes perfect sense, but, where do you keep it while you're on the track? Just dump it on the ground in the paddock? My plan is to get some sort of storage bin I can keep in the trunk and then take out before the run. Is that how most people do it?

2. I see some pictures of people with ez-ups or other canopies set up over their car, presumably in the paddock. Is this common?

3. I also see pictures of people with folding camp-type chairs. Again, presumably to sit on in the paddock between runs?

Anything else I should consider getting/bringing?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
I'm doing my first HPDE next weekend in my M235i. I'm doing the NCC BMW CCA event at Summit Point. I've read a bunch of stuff and I have my helmet, torque wrench, window cleaner, oil, brake fluid, etc ready to go. What I can't seem to find is a good list of other stuff to bring, specifically around this area:

1. The rules/guidelines seem to be very strict about not having anything loose in the car while out on the track. That's fine and makes perfect sense, but, where do you keep it while you're on the track? Just dump it on the ground in the paddock? My plan is to get some sort of storage bin I can keep in the trunk and then take out before the run. Is that how most people do it?

2. I see some pictures of people with ez-ups or other canopies set up over their car, presumably in the paddock. Is this common?

3. I also see pictures of people with folding camp-type chairs. Again, presumably to sit on in the paddock between runs?

1. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...wjwIkgE&adurl=

2. Don't do it. They usually fly away and hit cars

3. Yes bring one

Tire pressure gauge and or air compressor.
Chalk to mark tires and see if you are over/under inflated. Make a mark and see how much chalk left on the tire shoulder
Bottled water
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

You probably forgot to list it, but you'll need a decent tire gauge to ensure your tire pressures are kept in a suitable range.

Yes, drivers put the things they take out of their car on the paddock surface. It's good to bring a plastic bin or two for the things that will fit, along with a tarp to cover everything in the event of rain.

Some drivers bring ez-ups and camp chairs. They're nice to have - make sure you have a way to keep the ez-up from blowing away if a wind comes up.

Bring rain gear to wear in case you end up having to stand around in the rain. Note that you won't wear that gear when you go out on the track - it's just to keep you dry in the paddock.

Bring PLENTY of water, along with some quality snacks to ensure your energy level remains high. You'll be told multiple times that if you're not peeing clear urine you're not drinking enough water. That is good advice. I buy a 24-pack on the way to each event, and it's generally all gone by the time I get back home.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Thanks! I'll skip the ez-up, but i will bring my camp chair. It's got an umbrella thing to help keep the sun off, so that should work. I have a decent digital tire gauge I've had forever, I also have an inflator with a digital gauge that works great, I'll be bringing that as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #5
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I've just signed up for my first HPDE as well....

How are you prepping your car? I have full bolt ons, but street friendly pads, I figured I might just get some race pads for the car, and bed them in a few days before the event.
      09-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturk View Post

How are you prepping your car? I have full bolt ons, but street friendly pads, I figured I might just get some race pads for the car, and bed them in a few days before the event.
tune it down as much as you can, keep it in D in comfort mode.

I can guarantee that power will be too much for a first timer. Concentrate on listening to your instructor and being smooth, hitting apexs, brake zones....

Your not playing Forza or GT.

For prep, take everything out of the car, including matts. Everything goes..
Nothing in glove box, under seats, in side pockets, all of it out.

Have a helmet, and leave it in your car. Make sure its snell 15 at least.

Have decent street tires, not runflats, with life left, no cords.

Run motul 600 fluid, so full brake fluid flush a week or so before your event.
Run Pads based on weight of car, driving style, speed, and track.... EBC yellows will probably be fine, OEM pads will turn to mush in just a few laps, you might not have anything left to drive home on, but they will last a day.

Bring some sand paper in case you need to skuff your pads/rotors from glazing to get home.

Bring a few giant black garbage bags... Can be used to store things you left in the car that you didint take out and as a rain poncho if needed.

Bring plenty of drinks and cash for fuel... Expect 1/4 tank per session to burn out.. Keep the car a little over half way before each session to avoid the CEL from the starved fuel pump.

Stay near the track the night before... Driving 3 hours to a track day, to drive home 3 hours sucks... stay at a local spot, wake up early, get gas and b-fast, be early to the track. Pick out your spot for the day, unload, get on line for tech, than go sign in and get your folder, stickers, etc.... Listen for driver meeting instructions.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post

Also another thing if available, take as much rides with the instructors as you can.

Usually when you are not running on your group , instructors would take students on their group A as passengers.

It's great cause you can learn good lines and it's always cool to run at speed on a GT3 or R8
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:24 AM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturk View Post

tune it down as much as you can, keep it in D in comfort mode.

I can guarantee that power will be too much for a first timer. Concentrate on listening to your instructor and being smooth, hitting apexs, brake zones....

Your not playing Forza or GT.

For prep, take everything out of the car, including matts. Everything goes..
Nothing in glove box, under seats, in side pockets, all of it out.

Have a helmet, and leave it in your car. Make sure its snell 15 at least.

Have decent street tires, not runflats, with life left, no cords.

Run motul 600 fluid, so full brake fluid flush a week or so before your event.
Run Pads based on weight of car, driving style, speed, and track.... EBC yellows will probably be fine, OEM pads will turn to mush in just a few laps, you might not have anything left to drive home on, but they will last a day.

Bring some sand paper in case you need to skuff your pads/rotors from glazing to get home.

Bring a few giant black garbage bags... Can be used to store things you left in the car that you didint take out and as a rain poncho if needed.

Bring plenty of drinks and cash for fuel... Expect 1/4 tank per session to burn out.. Keep the car a little over half way before each session to avoid the CEL from the starved fuel pump.

Stay near the track the night before... Driving 3 hours to a track day, to drive home 3 hours sucks... stay at a local spot, wake up early, get gas and b-fast, be early to the track. Pick out your spot for the day, unload, get on line for tech, than go sign in and get your folder, stickers, etc.... Listen for driver meeting instructions.
I would probably set chassis to sport and keep drivetrain to comfort. Car gets a bit wobbly with the comfort suspension
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      09-26-2018, 10:54 PM   #9
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

pikcachu is right about the instructor ride alongs. Do as many as you can. Watch what they do. And, if you are a passenger, you can spend more time looking for landmarks to shoot for with corners that have vague turn-ins and apexes.

I would also suggest riding with as many different instructors as you can. They all approach things differently. I was having some issues with early turn-in. One of the instructors I rode with used a slightly different line, getting the car to the track edge well before the turn-in point, and staying parallel to the edge of the track. That idea helped me a lot. I had less fear about going off the turn and could concentrate more on looking down track for the apex.
Appreciate 0