THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite & Sport (B46/B48)

09-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #45
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

I'm waiting for exhaust details and perhaps the black Friday deal!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:49 PM   #46
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

I ordered the Full Elite/Stage 1 (warrantied unit) and it is on the way! Will report back once it arrives and is installed!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #47
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Reporting back to all of you! I received and installed the Dinantronics Elite/Stage 1 on Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, I couldn't drive the car at all on Saturday because I was up in the Bay Area for just the day, but got some good time yesterday and on this morning's commute (argh).

The installation is very straightforward for the most part. Hardest part was figuring out how far down the back yard I needed to go with the keys to get them out of range. The images Dinan provides are pretty good. For some reason my kit didn't come with the actual instructions for the car (all the other booklets were included), but I had my laptop up and resting right next to me to make the process easy. The 4 is a little different than the 6 but the plugs are generally in the same places. For that reason, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as DIY for those who don't know what they're looking at when they open the hood as there are references to different engine components that some may not understand.

That being said, I found it fairly simple. install is pretty quick. Standard BMW trunk battery disconnect process, unplugging and then plugging in tuner, connecting to battery, reconnecting trunk battery, checking for codes (I had none!) and then starting. Biggest pain is that the space between air intake and negative terminal is small. Second biggest pain was resetting clock - though this was practice for yesterday's return to standard time!

When I first drove the car, I didn't think it did much and it felt as if the difference in power made the minimal lag the car had feel more noticeable. So I used the app to put it into bypass mode (the app is a very nice feature to have!) After a couple days of driving, I think it's adapting and definitely feels better and better. If you've had a VW turbo or a BMW 6 and have tuned it and gotten the standard 50-60 hp bump, you probably won't be a huge fan of this, because it doesn't have that same OMG, kick in the pants bump. That being said, it definitely has more grunt and I think for a warranty matching product it's a pretty good value. In manual mode on the 8AT (and I would think with the manual transmission), you can real feel it pulling harder. Now on to this week's damage...new PSS tires at 15k miles thanks to shoulder wear!

Overall a good product. A special thanks to Jeff@TopGearSolutions for getting this to me!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #48
jet987
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mazda MX5 Miata Club/BBS

Garage List
2017 BMW 230I  [0.00]
Do either of the Sport or Elite systems fix the rev hang in the B46? I have an unmodified 2017 230i manual and when upshifting I gotta wait about a full second before revs drop back down for a smoother shift.
      12-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #49
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Elite for the N20/N26 228i is ~$1500. Elite for the B46 230i is $1099. Difference being in the harness mainly. The first generation plugged into the factory DME and interfaced with everything coming and going from the factory ECU. The new engine is going to select sensors instead. Its a much more cost effective harness solution hence the reduced price.
I am planning to have the Stage 1 Elite installed on my 228ix at a cost of $1500 plus installation cost by a local Dinan certified installer. I have been reading on these forums that it significantly reduces turbo lag, is that true. Also what boost in hp can I expect. I want to get this installed to increase performance and turbo lag. Can you elaborate on this, Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #50
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
I am planning to have the Stage 1 Elite installed on my 228ix at a cost of $1500 plus installation cost by a local Dinan certified installer. I have been reading on these forums that it significantly reduces turbo lag, is that true. Also what boost in hp can I expect. I want to get this installed to increase performance and turbo lag. Can you elaborate on this, Thanks.
Bump in power on the 228i with stage one is approximately +45 HP/+45 TRQ.

Turbo lag technically is unchanged. We do play with fueling in the maps a bit (primarily at shift points) that for some gives the sense of reduced lag however.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #51
fahizzo
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Any details on the reliability of this system? Local dinan installer said the reliability isn't there and Dinan is working out kinks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:02 PM   #52
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahizzo View Post
Any details on the reliability of this system? Local dinan installer said the reliability isn't there and Dinan is working out kinks.
I've had mine on the car for a couple months without issue...wondering what they mean by reliability.
Appreciate 0