THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N20 Tuning for pussies (meaning me!)

02-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #45
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
It used to be very popular couple years ago, not so much now
It is basically identical to BMS stage 1 and RC

If you just want a tune for noticeable power increase without a complicated install just get the BMS stage 1
So I've been following this thread because I have many of the same questions as the OP. I appreciate different people's input, and I'm trying to decide between a racechip, AA8, JB4, or no tune at all.

but I'm a bit confused by this statement. how is a racechip identical to a stage 1 or a scorcher? The racechip connects to a third sensor and has 9 different maps...seems to me to be in a different league than those other two. I see in your "F-chassis tune comparison" thread you cite the fact that all three of these "trick" the ECU into delivering more boost, but isn't that the basis of chip tunes in general? Does a tune such as a JB4 increase power in some different way that I am not understanding?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #46
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
So I've been following this thread because I have many of the same questions as the OP. I appreciate different people's input, and I'm trying to decide between a racechip, AA8, JB4, or no tune at all.

but I'm a bit confused by this statement. how is a racechip identical to a stage 1 or a scorcher? The racechip connects to a third sensor and has 9 different maps...seems to me to be in a different league than those other two

RC connects to MAF . The older version of the BMS stage 1 used to connect to that same sensor, but doesnt anymore because Burger Tuning did not find it useful so i would not call the extra connection an upgrade

RC does have different maps and that is an upgrade

When i said identical i meant in the way they make power. They add a certain amount of boost with no additional features

RC is a good tune, but it is not in any way in a different league when compared to AFE and BMS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 11:38 AM   #47
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
RC connects to MAF . The older version of the BMS stage 1 used to connect to that same sensor, but doesnt anymore because Burger Tuning did not find it useful so i would not call the extra connection an upgrade

RC does have different maps and that is an upgrade

When i said identical i meant in the way they make power. They add a certain amount of boost with no additional features

RC is a good tune, but it is not in any way in a different league when compared to AFE and BMS
OK, interesting. And I think you were responding to my post while I went back to edit it. What about my last question...does a JB4 do something other than "tricking" the ECU into making more boost?

Also, I think it would be helpful if I knew for myself what all these different sensors actually do. Is there somewhere I can find an explanation of this that a layman could understand?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #48
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
As far as I know, all any of them do is trick the DME into thinking it's putting out LESS boost than spec and then the DME bumps up the boost to the level it thinks it supposed to be..(equating to about a 4lb bump) and more HP. The piggybacks monitor a few variables/sensors but the flashed tune looks at the entire picture (or at least MORE of the picture than piggybacks and is thus considered a theoretically safer option.)

My flash tuned SS never hiccupped in 17yrs of usage but isn't near as high tech of an engine as our turbo 4s/6s are......
      03-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #49
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Just to close out this thread, at least for me, I ended up picking the AA8 piggy-back tune. The guys at GSR were very helpful, but I just couldn't get my head around a mod that couldn't be COMPLETELY undone if required, since the car is very new, and I don't yet know how mod-tolerant my dealer is.

I wrote up the install here... http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233814

It's only been a few days, and the car is still adapting to the tune, but so far I'm very happy.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #50
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
Just to close out this thread, at least for me, I ended up picking the AA8 piggy-back tune. The guys at GSR were very helpful, but I just couldn't get my head around a mod that couldn't be COMPLETELY undone if required, since the car is very new, and I don't yet know how mod-tolerant my dealer is.

I wrote up the install here... http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233814

It's only been a few days, and the car is still adapting to the tune, but so far I'm very happy.
Glad to hear that you are happy with your choice.
Thank you for going with us as your vendor

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #51
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

What's the risk of a stage 1 tune whether piggy back or ecu flash on the n20. I have seen some articles showing n20 is a weak engine and have blown rods . Is this with the above tunes or more aggressive with down pipes added etc? Just got a ecu tune and have been driving a little more aggressive than I used to and potentially the issue that might happen on stock engine .
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #52
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
What's the risk of a stage 1 tune whether piggy back or ecu flash on the n20. I have seen some articles showing n20 is a weak engine and have blown rods . Is this with the above tunes or more aggressive with down pipes added etc? Just got a ecu tune and have been driving a little more aggressive than I used to and potentially the issue that might happen on stock engine .
N20 is a weaker motor, no question about it but with a safe flash, you have nothing to worry about. Either a piggy back on mild settings or a stage 1 re-flash with normal gains, you should be perfectly fine. If you do end up getting down pipe, we can built you a re-flash that will work with basic intake/downpipe but limit torque output to safe levels.
Appreciate 2
      03-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #53
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalrx View Post
As long you get your tune (Flash or Piggy) done with a proven company and you run the recommended maps, you will be safe

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #54
Info@EnzoPerformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 700R+

Quote:
As long you get your tune (Flash or Piggy) done with a proven company and you run the recommended maps, you will be safe
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #55
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
Quote:
That is true, but how often is the customer satisfied with current power levels? They always seem to want more and having easy access to changing maps on PiggyBacks can prove to be dangerous for those individuals. Having a flash limited to "safer" power levels means that customer has no ability to keep on cranking up the boost and thus lowering the chance of possible issues.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #56
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionPerformance View Post
That is true, but how often is the customer satisfied with current power levels? They always seem to want more and having easy access to changing maps on PiggyBacks can prove to be dangerous for those individuals. Having a flash limited to "safer" power levels means that customer has no ability to keep on cranking up the boost and thus lowering the chance of possible issues.
Not all piggy offer the option of changing maps

Having the flexibly and choice to pick different maps on the fly should be considered a pro for these piggys not a con

I think people are smart enough not to run maps too aggressive for their cars and those that do know that they are taking full responsibility in case anything goes wrong.

I never had this problem with any of our customers

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #57
AngeloF31
Rep
Drives: F31 Estoril Blue\Coral Red

is Map1 on the Stage 1 and Stage 2 HB4 the same map? IAll i plan on is a MPE and maybe an intake. on my F10 N55, i had the same mods plus a JB4 stage 2 but kept it on the same Map5.

taking cost out of the equation, for the N20 with MPE and maybe intake, is there any reason to go with the Stage 2?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #58
Bushings
Rep
Drives: e90 on Order

Active 8 tune from Active Autowerke - now my 228i outputs 300 lb ft of torque - I live on a hill so every time I come back from work I enjoy 15 seconds of pure bliss. It is a piggy back box. Have driven about 5000 miles so far on it - Very Very Happy
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 08:13 PM   #59
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD1953 View Post
Curious,
arent these little 228i coupes "fast enough" for street driving "as is" ??

I hope so, I have one with a 6MT on order.
I just got my 228ix and it is plenty quick enough for me. Now I am an older guy and had my share of fast tuned rides so I definitely see the advantages and temptation of the reasonable tune options on the market. My advice would be to break it in, and see if it meets your expectations. The only thing I may add is a better sounding exhaust. The stock is a little weak sounding to me. Good luck, I love mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #60
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloF31 View Post
is Map1 on the Stage 1 and Stage 2 HB4 the same map? IAll i plan on is a MPE and maybe an intake. on my F10 N55, i had the same mods plus a JB4 stage 2 but kept it on the same Map5.

taking cost out of the equation, for the N20 with MPE and maybe intake, is there any reason to go with the Stage 2?
Yes map 1 is the same on both +4 psi

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #61
tencazzo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport

Hey guys! Didn't want to open a new thread and asking here for advice. I live in Germany and want to get a box with decent gains in performance for N20 in my 220i, without upgrading anything else. Choosing between BMS stage 1, JB4 or DTE systems. Last one is German company with huge experience, offering products with certification and motor guarantie (+30 PS and +50 Nm on crank) www.chiptuning.com you can choose English language. Box uses 3 sensors: manifold air pressure, boost pressure and camshaft. Looks like AA8 tune but without air mass sensor. I can get BMS tunes here in Germany shop, but I am struggling if JB4 is much better option since it connected to CAN bus but not to camshaft and if makes a huge difference? Another thing is that JB4 is made in USA and not that popular here in Germany, so is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #62
Vincitore
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2-Series M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tencazzo View Post
Hey guys! Didn't want to open a new thread and asking here for advice. I live in Germany and want to get a box with decent gains in performance for N20 in my 220i, without upgrading anything else. Choosing between BMS stage 1, JB4 or DTE systems. Last one is German company with huge experience, offering products with certification and motor guarantie (+30 PS and +50 Nm on crank) www.chiptuning.com you can choose English language. Box uses 3 sensors: manifold air pressure, boost pressure and camshaft. Looks like AA8 tune but without air mass sensor. I can get BMS tunes here in Germany shop, but I am struggling if JB4 is much better option since it connected to CAN bus but not to camshaft and if makes a huge difference? Another thing is that JB4 is made in USA and not that popular here in Germany, so is it worth it?
So what you decided? I'm also thinking about DTE now.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #63
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

There is a lot of great info in these posts. I have had a Dinan installed for over 18 months. When Dinan upgraded to the Stage 1 V2 the change produced all the power I was looking for and since you live in CA I'll offer this little tidbit, I had my F22 checked out by a local SMOG shop and it passed. Dinan is working on an upgrade to make the V2 even smoother. And one last thing, no error codes since installing the V2.
Appreciate 0