THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Recommended D1S bulbs? And why?

06-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
abcfgh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Recommended D1S bulbs? And why?

The M235i was getting repaired at a BMW collision center (bumper, intercooler, etc.) and the left side bulb mysteriously burnt out right after picking up the car. They did take off the headlights, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it. The car has 65k miles...does that sound about right?

Anywho, can anyone recommended a D1S bulb that last as long/longer than OEM and have a similar color and why? Please only respond if you have direct experience.

I believe OEM is 4300k and I am prepared to try out 5000k as it should be brighter. I don't really want to go for 6000k bulbs, but I am tempted to try the RCP bulbs for $25.

Last edited by abcfgh; 06-04-2020 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Call Candle Power Inc - https://store.candlepower.com/d1sbulbs1.html
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #3
abcfgh
Private
Rep

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Did you blatantly disregard what I wrote or did you just not read my post? I will make sure I do NOT give them a call or purchase ANY products there. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I read your post. I've purchased a variety of bulb types from them, including Xenon D2S (granted, not D1S) & received great service, products & pricing. Have a nice life.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

My source for bulbs is mteclightingusa.com , local facility to me here in So Cal. I got referred to them from another BMW forum and could not be happier with service and bulbs I got. They offer real Philips and Osram which is a shot in dark if you buy from ebay or amazon. I personally went with Philips 6k, I know I sacrificed some lumens going into that temp range but that was the choice I made..

If you are looking for max lumens, you may want to stick with Philips or Osram 4300k. You cant go wrong with either brand and you don't have to buy from them. Just make sure you source genuine, many many knock off bulbs floating around.

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
abcfgh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMLLOPEZ View Post
My source for bulbs is mteclightingusa.com , local facility to me here in So Cal. I got referred to them from another BMW forum and could not be happier with service and bulbs I got. They offer real Philips and Osram which is a shot in dark if you buy from ebay or amazon. I personally went with Philips 6k, I know I sacrificed some lumens going into that temp range but that was the choice I made..

If you are looking for max lumens, you may want to stick with Philips or Osram 4300k. You cant go wrong with either brand and you don't have to buy from them. Just make sure you source genuine, many many knock off bulbs floating around.

Best of luck
Thanks, the Phillips and Osram apparently have a website link where you can type in a serial # of some sort to determine if they are genuine or not.

It's crazy to me how one OEM BMW bulb retails for $300 or close to $200 online when you can buy some cheapy ones for $25/set. 1/10th the price.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

OEM bulbs are Osram or Philips, can't remember off the top of my head. I assume they do the leg work to make sure you get real authentic bulbs, so the convenience factor does play a role there I guess.

Real Osram or Philips will start at about $60-75 per bulb (4300k) and go up from there. Even then, you're looking at over $100 so they are not really "cheap" per say. Make sure you verify bulb authenticity. Last thing you want to do is get stuck with a set of fake bulbs you paid a premium price for.

One thing to add is a quality built bulb will last you a very long time and provide the most lumens possible within its said temp range. "Cheapo" bulbs may look okay but will not compare in lumen output.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #8
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I ordered genuine Osram CBBs here:
https://www.amazon.com/OSRAM-Xenarc-.../dp/B0771LG4ZQ

And found they were original and verified through Osram trust. Amazon also sells the factory color temp, and the others in between. In my research and buying process I would not use anything but Osram bulbs, they seem to have the highest reliability and lifespan your going to get. 65k seems totally acceptable for an HID lifespan, but parts also randomly fail. I did buy cheaper bulbs to try and the quality and ignition difference vs the osrams were night and day.

You could also source Philips d1s, as the quality is the same, but check out the YouTube comparisons of color temp. Iirc Philips leans more pure white with their bulbs so probably what your looking for

Edit: going up in Kelvin temp does not make the bulb brighter, actually the opposite as a general rule. But there are other variables so I found the HID comparison videos that measured luminosity output of each model of popular bulb to be critical to selecting the right one
Appreciate 0