THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Short circuit to B+ in convertible top module

05-04-2020, 11:07 PM   #1
jnu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport Convertible

Garage List
Short circuit to B+ in convertible top module

My convertible top is stuck in the down position and throwing code 80504F:

Control unit: Convertible top module (CVM)
Short circuit to B+ detected on one of the following control unit inputs: CLOSE switch, OPEN switch or convertible-top compartment floor switch.

https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...YAMQAxADAANAA=

I have a SmartTop convertible controller installed, and it's worked perfectly for the past 4 years. I tried disabling it via its built in bypass, and that didn't work. I haven't tried physically disconnecting it, but I'll try that next.

The car is being driven less than usual due to COVID, but the top stopped working AFTER a long drive when I'd expect the battery to be fully charged. All other electronics seem to work fine.

Any ideas for what I should be checking?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
We have the same car - 2016 228i MSport Convertible. I've not had any issues with the top, but there was a recall for some sort of strap or straps in the top assembly. You might check with your dealership if you've not had that recall done yet. Aside from that, I'd highly recommend removing the SmartTop module. If that doesn't work, a trip to the dealership is in order.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
jnu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnu View Post

Short circuit to B+ detected on one of the following control unit inputs: CLOSE switch, OPEN switch or convertible-top compartment floor switch.

I have a SmartTop convertible controller installed, and it's worked perfectly for the past 4 years. I tried disabling it via its built in bypass, and that didn't work. I haven't tried physically disconnecting it, but I'll try that next.

The car is being driven less than usual due to COVID, but the top stopped working AFTER a long drive when I'd expect the battery to be fully charged. All other electronics seem to work fine.

Update: I took out the seats and wiggled the smart top connections to retighten to the convertible top module, and the problem went away! I’m guessing the connections had wiggled themselves loose. I love easy fixes!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:43 AM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:

Update: I took out the seats and wiggled the smart top connections to retighten to the convertible top module, and the problem went away! I’m guessing the connections had wiggled themselves loose. I love easy fixes!
Hey just wanted to thank you for posting this update! I have a Smart Top as well, and I appreciate you posting the problem and the solution one never knows when such knowledge may be needed!
Appreciate 0