THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech MMI Prime reset/black screen problems

02-21-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
Steve220
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d

Bimmertech MMI Prime reset/black screen problems

(have posted this in F30 forums, but hopefully seeing if anyone knows here)

Hi

I've been having a lot of issues with my Bimmertech MMI prime on my 65 plate 220d while using Apple CarPlay

i am getting alot of either phone disconnects, screen randomly going 'back' a menu or sudden black screen with either system reset or other problems

seen below:

i have been given another MMI prime computer from Bimmertech to try, but issues seem to still be happening. I have only swapped the computer out and have also changed all the wiring, but this doesn't feel like a wiring issue.. car SHOULD have fully standard wiring and have an iphone X, neither have ever shown issues with any other system. Car iDrive and MMI are at lastest versions

Is anyone else getting these issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Another variable is your phone. I suggest you try one from a friend to see if it behaves the same. This way you either identify the issue or eliminate another possibility.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve220 View Post

Based on info I've found below, the position of the wifi antenna plays a big role in connection stability. Where is your wifi antenna... can it be placed closer to your phone? I notice with mine, if phone is not close enough to the wifi antenna, I get lots of dropout. I moved antenna right beside my drivers seat, and that solved the problem entirely.

ow it Works

Wireless CarPlay has three requirements, a Bluetooth connection, a Wi-Fi access point, and location data. Here’s is a simplified breakdown of the entire process:

To initialize the connection the phone uses Bluetooth to send a signal to the head unit requesting to connect.
Once the Bluetooth connection is made the phone will request wireless credentials to the Wi-Fi access point.
Upon confirmation the head unit will send the wireless credentials to the iPhone, which will cause the phone to search and join the Wi-Fi access point.
After the Wi-Fi connection has been established, the Bluetooth signal will disconnect and all audio and video will be transferred over Wi-Fi.
And now you’re set, you now can use CarPlay wirelessly.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
Steve220
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberlandjames View Post
Another variable is your phone. I suggest you try one from a friend to see if it behaves the same. This way you either identify the issue or eliminate another possibility.
i am trying another phone this week, apart from initial connection issues its been problem free for my first one hour journey this week, but the problems are intermittent so a longer test over days will tell..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark184 View Post
Based on info I've found below, the position of the wifi antenna plays a big role in connection stability. Where is your wifi antenna...
i have mounted the antenna in the console, between the iDrive head unit and the MMI box, with abit of foam packing inbetween both so nothing will move loose or get crushed. its directed towards me and cant be more than 3ft away from the phone currenty, Id hope that the antenna is omnidirectional so it isnt massively important aslong as its close?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:36 AM   #5
kevinnguyen5128
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i M Sport

Have you find a way to fix it? I having same problem, black screen while music still playing, help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve220 View Post

Hi

I've been having a lot of issues with my Bimmertech MMI prime on my 65 plate 220d while using Apple CarPlay

i am getting alot of either phone disconnects, screen randomly going 'back' a menu or sudden black screen with either system reset or other problems

seen below:

i have been given another MMI prime computer from Bimmertech to try, but issues seem to still be happening. I have only swapped the computer out and have also changed all the wiring, but this doesn't feel like a wiring issue.. car SHOULD have fully standard wiring and have an iphone X, neither have ever shown issues with any other system. Car iDrive and MMI are at lastest versions

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Any resolution to this? I have the same issues with the screen going dark for a second or two at a time and sometimes both sounds and video go away for a second or two.

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I had the same problem, replaced the unit and the problem continues. Revert to stock - and no problem.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 04:50 PM   #8
steeps5
Rep
Drives: '16 BMW 228xi, '17 Ford Escape

Having this issue with a Carlinkit unit. I placed the wi-fi antenna up behind the head unit. Has anyone tried moving the antenna and fixed the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #9
KJEEP
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 750i X Drive M Sport

I noticed that the wifi antenna is not very strong and is susceptible to interference.

After I placed mine in the center glove box, I rarely have issues. Now, I only get interruptions in high-traffic areas where my iPhone decides to scan for another wireless network.
Appreciate 1