THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning OEM M2 exhaust on N20. Any thoughts?

06-27-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
Vincitore
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2-Series M Sport

Garage List
OEM M2 exhaust on N20. Any thoughts?

I would like to change my stock exhaust.
My thoughts were between Eisenmann or Active Autowerke.
But I just found OEM M2 exhaust and I wonder will it fit or not and what will be the sound on 4 cylinders of N20?
Any thoughts/recommendations?

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
KB34
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincitore View Post
I would like to change my stock exhaust.
My thoughts were between Eisenmann or Active Autowerke.
But I just found OEM M2 exhaust and I wonder will it fit or not and what will be the sound on 4 cylinders of N20?
Any thoughts/recommendations?

I don't think there is a quad diffuser for the 228i. So you will need to make a custom one. With that said, many people switch to the dual tips on the 235i quite easily as the rear diffuser on the 235i fits the 228i. I'm not sure how the M2 exhaust would sound, I'm sure you could find something comparable in sound that is already designed for the 228i and would bolt right in place without modifications. But you won't have quad tips. The 235i has dual singles and looks good. I'm not a big fan of quad tips anyway, I personally think the dual singles on the 235i looks better than the M2. Probably something to do with them not being even with each other and me being OCD.

My Other Cars: '18 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack; '78 Pontiac Trans Am 455

Future Cars: '19 RTR Mustang Ecoboost
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
Vincitore
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB34 View Post
I don't think there is a quad diffuser for the 228i. So you will need to make a custom one. With that said, many people switch to the dual tips on the 235i quite easily as the rear diffuser on the 235i fits the 228i. I'm not sure how the M2 exhaust would sound, I'm sure you could find something comparable in sound that is already designed for the 228i and would bolt right in place without modifications. But you won't have quad tips. The 235i has dual singles and looks good. I'm not a big fan of quad tips anyway, I personally think the dual singles on the 235i looks better than the M2. Probably something to do with them not being even with each other and me being OCD.
Thank you! Yes, I must trim my diffuser on the right side to fit the M2 exhaust and to have quad tips. That's not a big problem if everything else fits carefully. At the other side, I don't want to make too aggressive sound from N20, just a bit sporty and louder than stock will be ok for me. Eisenmann has also quad tips. Another option is Active Autowerke 228/328 exhaust, without diffuser modifications.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #4
Cyber_Cloud
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Did you end up doing this? I bought a m2 muffler and am going to do this tomorrow. I’m going to just cut my right side since it’s a non m sport bumper. I’m curious to how this will sound on my 230i
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #5
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

There is work to be done to fit it, but here is how it would look. There may even be some video's of how the M2 muffler sounds on N20.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Vincitore
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Cloud View Post
Did you end up doing this? I bought a m2 muffler and am going to do this tomorrow. I’m going to just cut my right side since it’s a non m sport bumper. I’m curious to how this will sound on my 230i
No bro! I decided to buy Active Autowerke exhaust, looks good and I like the sound. Please, don't forget to share your experience here, interesting to see the result.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Vincitore
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
There is work to be done to fit it, but here is how it would look. There may even be some video's of how the M2 muffler sounds on N20.
Oh, nice nice. Great work on diffuser too will check the sound from my Insta account later today, when I will be there
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
Jompaswe
Rep
Drives: BMW 428ix

I have the M2 exhaust on my 228i

The hangers fit to the OEM mounting points no fabrication needed.

The inlet to the M2 muffler dont line up exactly to the OEM 228i "midpipe" so you have to custom fabricate the connection.

And you have to get a rear bumper with a quad diffuser.

And it sounds great! It is louder than original but the sound is "well tuned"
It has a nice deep tone under acc. with some "pops and burbles" when you go of the throttle. when crusing on the highway it is quiet as stock and no drone.
Besides the M2 rear muffler my car is 100% stock
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #9
Jompaswe
Rep

Some pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jompaswe View Post
I have the M2 exhaust on my 228i

The hangers fit to the OEM mounting points no fabrication needed.

The inlet to the M2 muffler dont line up exactly to the OEM 228i "midpipe" so you have to custom fabricate the connection.

And you have to get a rear bumper with a quad diffuser.

And it sounds great! It is louder than original but the sound is "well tuned"
It has a nice deep tone under acc. with some "pops and burbles" when you go of the throttle. when crusing on the highway it is quiet as stock and no drone.
Besides the M2 rear muffler my car is 100% stock
Nice work on the exhaust. You say you're otherwise 100% stock but your ride height looks lowered. It looks good, can you share what was done? Springs or coilovers?
      10-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
mb67
In search of the perfect cup of coffee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Conv

Check out 228i_valencia Instagram account: he did a lot of work on his n20 including the quad exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:00 AM   #12
Jompaswe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetweenTheWheels View Post
Nice work on the exhaust. You say you're otherwise 100% stock but your ride height looks lowered. It looks good, can you share what was done? Springs or coilovers?
I got Eibach springs mounted.
Really comfortable ride.

Besides the M2 muffler it is 100% stock engine and exhaust wise!
Appreciate 0