THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Installing TechnicPnP Active Sound removal harness

07-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #45
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
I emailed him last week, he responded, ordered the ASD cable. No problems. I had emailed in early June, was told to ask again at the end of June so that's what I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #46
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Thanks. I'll email him again.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #47
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
So, I successfully installed the ASD bypass harness two days ago. I removed it tonight. With the harness in place the subwoofer under the driver's seat does practically nothing. Seriously, it might as well not even be there with the harness in place. Removing the harness and re-connecting the ASD module immediately brings the driver's side woofer back to life. So it appears the ASD module is also the power AMP for that woofer? I have a 2016 M235i with the HK audio.

Personally I like having more bass way more than I dislike having the fake engine sound. So, now I have a harness I'm not going to use. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to ship it out for $55.

Last edited by orangeglim; 07-16-2016 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #48
drakensoul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
So, I successfully installed the ASD bypass harness two days ago. I removed it tonight. With the harness in place the subwoofer under the driver's seat does practically nothing. Seriously, it might as well not even be there with the harness in place. Removing the harness and re-connecting the ASD module immediately brings the driver's side woofer back to life. So it appears the ASD module is also the power AMP for that woofer. I have a 2016 M235i with the HK audio.

Personally I like having more bass way more than I dislike having the fake engine sound. So, now I have a harness I'm not going to use. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to ship it out for $55.
Have you e-mailed Technic's group? First time I have heard of something like this and makes me wonder if something was mis-wired in the harness; further makes me hesitant to buy yours, one that you've basically tested and found to be non-working

See what they say
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #49
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
It's not that it doesn't work, it does the job, it makes the fake engine sound go away. The cost is the lack of power in the driver's side subwoofer. A loss of bass response is specifically called out by Technic, I assume this is what they're referring to.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #50
drakensoul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
It's not that it doesn't work, it does the job, it makes the fake engine sound go away. The cost is the lack of power in the driver's side subwoofer. A loss of bass response is specifically called out by Technic, I assume this is what they're referring to.
Again, haven't heard this from anyone else and would think if that was the cost of every ASD defeat harness used someone would have mentioned it by now.

Anyone else have the same observation?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #51
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'll preface this by saying I'm no audiophile, but I don't notice any difference in the bass. Still one of my favorite mods.
      07-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #52
djarchow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

I didn't notice any drop in output either and certainly no big loss in only one subwoofer. My guess is you have a bad connection in the harness on the one subwoofer channel.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #53
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by djarchow View Post
I didn't notice any drop in output either and certainly no big loss in only one subwoofer. My guess is you have a bad connection in the harness on the one subwoofer channel.
Agreed. I noticed the fake noise drone gone. By bass works fine.

Have you tried it for a bit, as sometimes the bass does shutoff in the 2 series (with or without this harness). I have had it happen a few times and the fix is a full restart of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #54
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Yah, I've had the woofers cut out completely before installing the harness. That's definitely not what's going on here. I've sent an email to technic to see what's up.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #55
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Heard back from Technic. He provided two useful pieces of information:

Quote:
The ASD is actually a 15W peak or so amplifier. The OEM amp inputs are those 15W peak from the ASD outputs. 15W is about 8V peak.

The iDrive output is about 2.8V peak low level. The ASD inputs are those iDrive 2.8V outputs. So when you bypass the ASD what you are actually doing is taking the iDrive outputs and making them the new OEM amp inputs. You are lowering the OEM amp input from ~8V to ~2.8V. That will change the volume and bass impact of the OEM amp outputs.

Raise the Bass adjustment a bit to compensate for the loss of input level. Please note that your OEM amp also has DSP and time alignment in it, so you may hear one woofer sounding louder than the other. That has nothing to do with the harness.
Quote:
Your OEM amp takes 4 inputs and create 7 outputs -front, rear, center, woofers. if you use your balance and fader at your iDrive and the front and rear speakers sound normal to you then harness is passing the iDrive 4 outputs into your OEM amp 4 inputs correctly. Otherwise there is a problem with your harness.

If you notice that both your front and rear speakers sound normal then the harness is not the problem, it is the way the OEM amp creates the 7ch out of 4 inputs, in particular the woofer channels. All 7ch OEM HiFi amps (F3x, F1x, F0x, F2x) have DSP and time alignment. What that means is that your OEM amp is taking into consideration the input level to create and process the 7ch output level and time alignment. The bypass harness by design is changing that input level as described below. That is the cost of bypassing the ASD.

If you do not bypass the ASD then you will notice that the driver side woofer still outputs less than the passenger side. The same happens in all OEM 7ch HiFi amps, regardless of ASD. All of them. The level difference is not that apparent as bypassing the ASD but it is there, just listen closely without using the Balance or Fader adjustment. That is the OEM tuning of the OEM amp. If you replace the OEM amp with aftermarket amp (XD600/6, for example) then both woofers will sound at the same level -and much better than OEM- just because the DSP tuning will be gone with the OEM amp.
I suspect things are working "correctly" per his description of how the HK amp /ASD work. I will reinstall the harness today and confirm the front/rear left/right speakers are working normally with the harness installed. If they are then the complete lack of bass in that woofer seems like its normal.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #56
Smallm
Old Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, Dinan stage 4

Thanks to Technics PNP and a more than helpful write up by Zooks , I got rid of my ASD this morning. It took me 1 Hour and it was well worth it , I thought I might have had a light exhaust drone but not anymore. imagine that.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #57
Scubadriver
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Another very satisfied customer. No more drone in Sport mode and that's with MPerf exhaust. Great upgrade.
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      08-14-2016, 03:47 AM   #58
Nimsum235
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

I installed the harness but I didn't notice that the driver's side sub woofer was no longer working after I put everything back together. It does work after I checked but its very faint. Did I install the harness incorrectly? I can't think of anything wrong because the connectors are very simple to install.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #59
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimsum235 View Post
I installed the harness but I didn't notice that the driver's side sub woofer was no longer working after I put everything back together. It does work after I checked but its very faint. Did I install the harness incorrectly? I can't think of anything wrong because the connectors are very simple to install.
This is exactly the same symptoms I encountered. I've removed the harness and the sub works at normal power.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #60
Nimsum235
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
This is exactly the same symptoms I encountered. I've removed the harness and the sub works at normal power.
Did you return your harness?
And I also removed mine and put the stock connectors back. I'd rather have the fake noise than lose half the bass.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #61
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
I haven't returned mine. The harness is still sitting in my garage. I made the same decision as you. I chose the bass over the fake engine sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #62
Diamantis
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I haven't returned mine. The harness is still sitting in my garage. I made the same decision as you. I chose the bass over the fake engine sound.
Unfortunately that makes three of us. I only realized it when I installed the Bavsound subs and the one under drivers seat was not playing. I reinstalled the oem sub ...nothing.Then took harness out and sound was back!!
Has anyone installed any amplifier (xd600/6?) and subs are working properly with the harness installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #63
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamantis View Post
Unfortunately that makes three of us. I only realized it when I installed the Bavsound subs and the one under drivers seat was not playing. I reinstalled the oem sub ...nothing.Then took harness out and sound was back!!
Has anyone installed any amplifier (xd600/6?) and subs are working properly with the harness installed?
Also orangeglim and Diamantis : which audio package (Hi-Fi or HK) do each of you have? This issue could very well have to do with a switch that BMW made, probably some time during the 2016 model year, from 2 ohm subs wired in parallel to 4 ohm subs wired in series on specific cars. (Background: through at least early 2015, the underseat subs were 2 ohms wired in parallel for Hi-Fi cars, and 8 ohms wired in series for HK cars.)

With how Technic wires these, I can very easily see ohm rating and wiring technique affecting the harness' operation -- particularly on parallel-wired setups that operate off a single output channel. I would email him and make him aware of the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #64
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Also orangeglim and Diamantis : which audio package (Hi-Fi or HK) do each of you have? This issue could very well have to do with a switch that BMW made, probably some time during the 2016 model year, from 2 ohm subs wired in parallel to 4 ohm subs wired in series on specific cars. (Background: through at least early 2015, the underseat subs were 2 ohms wired in parallel for Hi-Fi cars, and 8 ohms wired in series for HK cars.).
Ok I'm confused
I though that the Hi-Fi cars had 2 Ohm subs wired in series for a total of 4 Ohms at the amplifier and the HK cars had two 8 Ohm subs in parallel for a total of 4 Ohms at the amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #65
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Ok I'm confused
I though that the Hi-Fi cars had 2 Ohm subs wired in series for a total of 4 Ohms at the amplifier and the HK cars had two 8 Ohm subs in parallel for a total of 4 Ohms at the amplifier.
That apparently used to be the case. HK cars now have 4-ohm subs; that's been verified in other threads. No one's endeavored to figure out exactly when the switch happened; until that happens, the only real way to know for sure is to pull the subs themselves and look on the magnet.

It's worthwhile to note that both Hi-Fi and HK amps have had anywhere from 3 to 5 individual part numbers for F22s on RealOEM.com to date. Shifts in ASD tuning, etc. could account for that, but I suspect that's not all of it. Configuration changes -- including how the subs are powered -- likely account for some of the revisions, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #66
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Also orangeglim and Diamantis : which audio package (Hi-Fi or HK) do each of you have? This issue could very well have to do with a switch that BMW made, probably some time during the 2016 model year, from 2 ohm subs wired in parallel to 4 ohm subs wired in series on specific cars. (Background: through at least early 2015, the underseat subs were 2 ohms wired in parallel for Hi-Fi cars, and 8 ohms wired in series for HK cars.)

With how Technic wires these, I can very easily see ohm rating and wiring technique affecting the harness' operation -- particularly on parallel-wired setups that operate off a single output channel. I would email him and make him aware of the issue.
I have the HK audio. 2016 m235i here. I've got the oem woofers out of the car. I put my multimeter on one of them and it read 3.5 ohms.
Appreciate 0