THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Passenger side tail light malfunction

06-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #23
wichitagreg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Cabriolet

extended warranty protection for this problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-12-2019, 12:06 AM   #24
itsbeenfunmike
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
Turned out to be ground wire short.
This. I had the same issue turns out the ground was kinda crusty looking. Still under warranty so they replaced the right tail light. I guess that one looked the worst. They only replaced the board tho and re-used the other parts.

Kinda disappointed I was hoping I would get a whole new set of tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #25
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Got word they replaced both tail lights on mine. I'll know for sure if it's new assemblies entirely when they drop the car off tomorrow morning. Interesting though they are doing bare minimal replacements on some and completely replacing both sides for others
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #26
iain1133
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: white 2015 220d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Mines in right now for the same thing. I let it go for several months until it was due for service. Hope it finally gets resolved. It's really annoying to hear the gong go off every time it fails randomly when I go to use it exiting the neighborhood. Some times it will fail every drive. Then it would go for weeks working perfectly fine...
Took mine into dealers to see if they would cover the cost(out of warranty) as it's a known SIB. They wanted £120 to run a diagnostic check first. I said 'I've told you what the problem is and the fix' . No sir. So I drove it straight home again to fix myself , now if I could only find that post with the fix for the ground wiring , I've also sourced the bulb holder with the 8 pin socket. £30.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #27
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iain1133 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Mines in right now for the same thing. I let it go for several months until it was due for service. Hope it finally gets resolved. It's really annoying to hear the gong go off every time it fails randomly when I go to use it exiting the neighborhood. Some times it will fail every drive. Then it would go for weeks working perfectly fine...
Took mine into dealers to see if they would cover the cost(out of warranty) as it's a known SIB. They wanted £120 to run a diagnostic check first. I said 'I've told you what the problem is and the fix' . No sir. So I drove it straight home again to fix myself , now if I could only find that post with the fix for the ground wiring , I've also sourced the bulb holder with the 8 pin socket. £30.
Wow that's insane... they covered mine under warranty 100% and I had them do it in conjunction with the service. They replaced both sockets and wires and bulbs as an entire assembly.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #28
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

I know this is an old thread but it just happened to me.

First the turn signal says its no good, then it's fine, then its no good again. Then the brake lamp, and finally the reverse lamp.

Basically every lamp in the housing.

No water, no cracks, and it's just the fried harness. Fixed under warranty, and I made sure they replaced the wiring.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #29
bonhamsurf
Rep
Drives: 2016 Long Beach Blue M2

Same thing

Just bought a used 2016 M235i Vert. Having the same issue. Started off very randomly, now becoming more and more frequent.

Anyone have the part numbers for these lights?

I don't think I'm under warranty. I just bought the car and had it shipped to me.
Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #30
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
take it to the dealer.. its a known issue with lens cracking and water leaking into the assembly causing it to malfunction randomly.. they replaced the entire right rear emi calculator gst login ifsc code assembly for free.
I was hoping it was just a one time fluke thing but after multiple shut downs and restarts it's still the same issue. I even tried it the next day and same problem.

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 10-12-2019 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #31
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

There is a known fault, I'm told up until late '16 or early '17 - inadequate ground wire that eventually burns out/melts. Multiple solutions - initially they soldered in a second ground wire harness to your original housing, then they started replacing the units with the newer, better units. If you have this done, take a good look to be sure they don't botch the install - they did on mine, pulled the weather-stripping gasket back so the upper/inner corner was obviously loose and left a 3mm hole for water to get in. They also seem to 'forget' to offer both at once, so I've made 3 trips now to finally get it all updated. The water-entry is a separate known fault/issue, but probably throw's similar codes once things start shorting out.

There is a post here about the factory 'fix' (adding the wiring harness), but try to pressure the dealership to give you two new housings, especially if you are under warranty. If you have to DIY, it is a fairly simple thing, you won't really need a new housing or harness. Info is here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ess/1VnZ8zZX2B
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
Johnnie228
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport Auto (2016)

Tail light malfunction.

New to the forum. Any ideas guys? My 2 series RH side rear light cluster has gone on the blink today. Removed it and it looks like one of the 8 sections of the lighting plug has melted and the matching pin on the cluster itself is blackened. I had problems with moisture when it was new, so the dealer has looked at the lights before. LH side was replaced and still looks as good as new. It looks to be like the dealer have retro fitted some sort of extra cable on both sides, as it has a date tag of 2017. But the RH has still malfunctioned. Anyone know if it is definitely covered under an extended warranty? Mine is 11 months out of UK standard 3yrs. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #33
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
The new part did not work. I left the dealer with no resolution. I reseated all associated fuses and it's been working for 2 months.
Who's ideas was it to put the fuse panel in trunk? The trunk can leak and fubar a bunch of electronix. I rented a small MB in Germany years ago. The fuse panel was in the passenger side floor!!! Gott im Himmel!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #34
Firebirdof06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i Vert

Does anyone know if this is covered under CPO?

I am getting the taillight errors. Today the brake light didn't work but the turn signal did. Yesterday was the opposite.

I jiggled around the wires and I would get different effects of light bulb failures. Finally jiggled them in a way that all the bulbs came on, but don't see that lasting.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #35
2blue
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ’16 228iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitagreg View Post
extended warranty protection for this problem.
So I've got this now, too. Looks just like johnnie228's photos - melted plastic, burned pin.

Has anyone tried using wichitagreg's extended warranty post as leverage for dealer replacement?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #36
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
So this obviously appears to be a common fault. I'm at 53K miles and I just had the Right Turn Signal Error appear. Guessing it's the same as everyone else - ground wire issue. Guess I'll need to get it to the dealer and see what they say. Hopefully since I'm still under 48 months by over on mileage, I'll get some type of dealer assistance on this "known issue". We'll let you know what happens.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #37
JJBeemerGirl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

This multiple bulb malfunciton just started on my CPO 2016 M235i. I'm curious to see if it's covered. I'll call the dealer on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #38
alxsaleen05
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I, BMW 335

does any one knows how to installed repair kit for the rear tail light on M235i?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 11:57 PM   #39
Catbacker
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Happened to me as well. The dealership is only charging me $625 to replace some bulb sockets and a ground wire. I come from a electronics/computer background. $30 parts cost tops.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:23 PM   #40
MaryK88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228iX

Hello,

I have a 2016 228iX with this problem and after checking with the dealership I am out of warranty. I have a friend who’s father is a retired mechanic and he said he could probably replace the light for me. However I know nothing about fixing cars and I want to make the repair as easy as possible for him. Do any of you know what parts I would need to purchase to do this repair. I have read other post about this and I thank you all for the information provided. It seems like I need to order a new light unit and a new wiring harness? Is there anything else besides those 2 items that would be needed? Do you know where I could find the part numbers to be sure I bought the correct items?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Mary
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 02:09 PM   #41
Ruffles
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Sorry to bump and old thread but I just found this and it is exactly my problem. My sons 2016 M235i is showing this malfunction and I see the same burned ground pin. From the description of the TSB, it seems there is a wire harness with a new ground wire to correct this? Can anyone confirm? I'm sure the car is out of warranty and our local BMW dealer isn't very friendly and most likely not provide me any info on how to fix this myself but they'll gladly charge an arm and a leg to do it. I still haven't forgiven them for quoting $1200 for a replacement key .
Appreciate 0