THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics HK speaker replacement including center

07-07-2020, 01:56 AM   #1
Sunsetter
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

HK speaker replacement including center

I have a 2015 M235i convertible with the Harman Kardon system and am ready to upgrade the speakers. I have already replaced the stock HK amp with the Audiotec Fischer Match Up 7BMW amp, and have also added an 8" Alpine sub in a sealed box. This has improved the soundstage and (seriously) upgraded the low-end. But, the sound quality is still too muddled for my liking. Focal has a new BMW-specific offering that looks like it may be good, but the thing that I am having trouble figuring out is the center channel speaker. I know that many people recommend unplugging this, but the Match amp does some DSP that actually uses the center channel to create a surround effect rather than just mash the left and right together. As such, I don't want to get rid of the center, but do want it to have the same sound characteristics as the left and right. My center channel consists of a separate woofer and tweeter, but the Focal BMW-specific products only include a coaxial center (presumably for people upgrading from the base stereo which doesn't have separate tweeters). So, my questions for the experienced members of this group are:

- Has anyone successfully replaced the HK center? Is it possible to remove the HK tweeter from the mounting bracket it is in and swap in an aftermarket tweeter? Does anyone sell this mounting bracket separately?

- Has anyone found a source willing to sell a single 4" component speaker rather than the usual pair?

- Has anyone heard this new Focal IS BMW 100L system? I have heard some good things about the now-discontinued prior IF-BMW system, and this is still in stock in a few places. There however seems to be no reviews of this new system.

- Any other speaker recommendations for a convertible? I drive the car almost exclusively with the top down, so am leaning towards metal tweeters to cut through the noise.

Thanks in advance for any insights anyone can provide.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Most folks disconnect or code out the center speaker. I did the latter in my car. I have the same Audiotech-Fischer amp. I've also replaced the front speakers with Eton (my car has the HK option). The rears were replaced with JLs. The real change came when I added the Audiotec-Fischer USB module to the amp. This bypasses the head unit's digital to analog converters. Basically, I had to run a 15' USB cable from the center console to the USB module in the amp. Then , I had to tell the amp that a signal on he USB cable has priority over the analog signal from the head unit. OMG! Difference was day and night!

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...p-7bmw/up-7dsp
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      07-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Not to jack your thread but has BMW water downed the AMPs on the HK now? I noticed a big difference from an older model 5 series, 3 series I had to the one I have now in my M235i.

If so, does anyone have the watts power from before? Also, isn't there much better cheaper alternative to where you can actually feel the music smashs your skull when turned up?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
Not to jack your thread but has BMW water downed the AMPs on the HK now? I noticed a big difference from an older model 5 series, 3 series I had to the one I have now in my M235i.

If so, does anyone have the watts power from before? Also, isn't there much better cheaper alternative to where you can actually feel the music smashs your skull when turned up?
HK is not HK across platforms, you cannot compare either generations or 5 / 3 / 2. Remember the 2 is a base price $30K entry level car for the 4-cyl. HK in 2 is roughly equivalent to HiFi in F3x cars.
Appreciate 1
Hekler29.00
      07-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post

The 2 series audio is certainly no something to tut-tut about. I've basically replaced the entire audio system (speakers, amp) and bypassed the crappy head unit digital to analog converters by interfacing directly with the amp via the A-F USB module. I chock it up to BMW spending so much money on making the car a great driver that it skimped on the audio system.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 01:33 PM   #6
Namushe
Registered
Rep
Drives: MBW X6m

I've disconnected central speakers
I have Audiotec-Fischer amp too
Yep I did almost the same
and I have the greatest result now
I like it

In my free time, I go to planet moolah
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Whoa whoa whoa stop the clock. You can code out the center speaker?? Need info or link please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Most folks disconnect or code out the center speaker.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep

You need bimmercode and the right comms adapter that plugs into the obd2 port. Check the coding section.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 11:21 PM   #9
TropikThunder
Private
Rep
Drives: current: 330i next: x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Most folks disconnect or code out the center speaker. I did the latter in my car. I have the same Audiotech-Fischer amp. I've also replaced the front speakers with Eton (my car has the HK option). The rears were replaced with JLs. The real change came when I added the Audiotec-Fischer USB module to the amp. This bypasses the head unit's digital to analog converters. Basically, I had to run a 15' USB cable from the center console to the USB module in the amp. Then , I had to tell the amp that a signal on he USB cable has priority over the analog signal from the head unit. OMG! Difference was day and night!

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...p-7bmw/up-7dsp
Resurrecting old thread: The Audio-Tech Fisher amp has 5 satellite channels (5x 65W) with one for the center channel. Are you just not connecting that channel? I don't see where Match makes a (single) center channel speaker, and while Eton does, I don't think I'll miss it.

By the way, what do you think of the Etons? They're hard to find in the US (only two dealers with wildly different pricing).
Appreciate 0