THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech ID4 to ID6...anyone done it?

06-11-2019, 01:24 AM   #23
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I'm currently discussing the upgrade with Steve from code my bimmer. I'll let you know how it goes. I already have ID6 but due to a misunderstanding of the requirements for CarPlay by my SA, I can't have it. I'm working on upgrading to the nav HU with CarPlay activated. As far as the newer touch screens, yes, they only work on the newer head units
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:10 AM   #24
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Greetings- I have read so many posts and am so confused about this.

I have a 2016 m235 that has NBT EVO and ID4. It seems to me working in computers and software for a living that my hardware should be new enough to run the new code (maybe not as fast or as perfectly) but be able to run it well enough.

Is it possible to re flash the ID6 code onto my current hardware, and therefore unlock native CarPlay?

Or does this situation still require that I buy and install new hardware to get onto ID6?

Lastly, is it possible that someone can just code carplay compatibility into ID4 since the NBT EVO hardware is pretty competent and then bypass the need to go to ID6? It seems like if these cheapy little add on modules can do it, the ID4 software should be robust enough to handle it. I would assume the logic and computation remains on the iPhone itself and the BMW side of things is just to map pixels and create a screen render which it already understands how to do for other applications and the back up camera.

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Yep, all F23s equipped with ID4 NBT EVO can upgrade even as early as November 2014. For F22 it is March 2015 onward only.

Your vehicle definitely is compatible. If you want to be sure, just check the map version and ensure that it says North America EVO.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #25
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Greetings- I have read so many posts and am so confused about this.

I have a 2016 m235 that has NBT EVO and ID4. It seems to me working in computers and software for a living that my hardware should be new enough to run the new code (maybe not as fast or as perfectly) but be able to run it well enough.

Is it possible to re flash the ID6 code onto my current hardware, and therefore unlock native CarPlay?

Or does this situation still require that I buy and install new hardware to get onto ID6?

Lastly, is it possible that someone can just code carplay compatibility into ID4 since the NBT EVO hardware is pretty competent and then bypass the need to go to ID6? It seems like if these cheapy little add on modules can do it, the ID4 software should be robust enough to handle it. I would assume the logic and computation remains on the iPhone itself and the BMW side of things is just to map pixels and create a screen render which it already understands how to do for other applications and the back up camera.

Thanks!!!
We can definitely flash your current HU to run ID6 with fullscreen Apple CarPlay but your BMW Nav will pretty much be unusable since you will see reboots when using on board nav.

I've had a few customers who did not care for the BMW on board GPS and were ok with only using Apple CarPlay.

You'll need a battery maintainer that can keep the vehicle voltage above 13v at all times for the flash and it usually takes about an hour.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #26
DMMinVB
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3

Garage List
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
2017 x3 id4

I bought the 2017 X3 thinking it could run Apple CarPlay. I don’t have and don’t want a Nav system. Can ID6 be loaded on my hardware to enable CarPlay? Is that something someone local could do for a reasonable cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:55 AM   #27
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMMinVB View Post
I bought the 2017 X3 thinking it could run Apple CarPlay. I don’t have and don’t want a Nav system. Can ID6 be loaded on my hardware to enable CarPlay? Is that something someone local could do for a reasonable cost?
If your X3 does not have Nav, you'll need to replace the head unit along with the screen if you're looking to add ID6.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 06:29 AM   #28
jorgeclgi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
If your X3 does not have Nav, you'll need to replace the head unit along with the screen if you're looking to add ID6.
Hey Steve, wanted to know if is possible to upgrade a BMW 2019 with 6.5” screen to 10,25”? Can you give me info of what’s needed?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #29
ernie334
Rep
Drives: bmw 435xi gc

I have a 2016 f36. Can i flash mine to id6? Will it keep rebooting due to only 2gb ram?

Love to do this myself w some links to download. Thx
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 02:58 PM   #30
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie334 View Post
I have a 2016 f36. Can i flash mine to id6? Will it keep rebooting due to only 2gb ram?

Love to do this myself w some links to download. Thx
Yes, possible to do this flash. Usually there are not reboots when using CarPlay on Fullscreen
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 02:47 AM   #31
carlosdelajonquera
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i e82 and 118 F21

Hello,

Does anyone know if is possible to add 2Go Ram in ID4 in order to run ID 6 without randoms reboots??
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 04:08 AM   #32
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdelajonquera View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know if is possible to add 2Go Ram in ID4 in order to run ID 6 without randoms reboots??
It's not possible to do it. Random reboots may only appear when using OEM Nav with Route guidance.
Appreciate 0