THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Potential future DCT for M240xi or AWD M2?

12-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #23
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishthedish View Post
That is exactly my opinion of the Crosstrek. You couldn't pay me to drive it.
Such different experiences! I guess the relative flat and low altitude of Michigan created a different environment, but it was excellent with Bridgestone K02 tires on the daily commute to work around Oakland County (just outside Detroit area). It took off strongly at traffic lights (automatic trans) on snow covered roads and left most others behind. It did the winter duty and all around shopping/Costco trips and never let me down. I didn't expect it to feel refined or premium...it was a very reliable tool for the job. Sorry you guys had such bad experiences with them.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #24
Trishthedish
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Such different experiences! I guess the relative flat and low altitude of Michigan created a different environment, but it was excellent with Bridgestone K02 tires on the daily commute to work around Oakland County (just outside Detroit area). It took off strongly at traffic lights (automatic trans) on snow covered roads and left most others behind. It did the winter duty and all around shopping/Costco trips and never let me down. I didn't expect it to feel refined or premium...it was a very reliable tool for the job. Sorry you guys had such bad experiences with them.
No need to apologize at all! They just don't have the power needed at altitude, unfortunately. If they started selling a Crosstrek XTi or something of the sort, they would sell like hot cakes IMO.

Well crap... I suppose I will just keep my current car for now
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #25
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I may actually take a look to see what is available nation wide.

Regarding your last statement, I'm not sure I agree 100%. The STi is actually fairly well balanced and can achieve perfect corner balance relatively easily. It also has LSDs, and you can easily pull the front end out of an understeer situation barring you don't mind the tire wear, or throttle lift oversteer easily. It also biases 59% of power to the rear wheels set in "auto" on the C.Diff, and up to 100% either direction if necessary... just so we are working with factual information here.
just my personal opinion...i've owned a 2014 wrx and driven my buddies 2013 sti. those cars stock for stock have a lot more understeer compared to a m240xi. There's a lot more refinement on the chassis and suspension side on the F chassis compared the sti but less raw feedback.

the m240xi is designed to be more of a daily driver car. if you want a track star, get the M2. i owned the M2 and the steering is more linear and the turn in and response is much better compared to the regular 2 series, it also comes with m4 brakes and a lsd as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #26
Rick.Null
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 2 series

I still don't understand OP's issue with the ZF8. I seriously think OP needs to put the car in Sport+. Given how little is the difference between ZF8 in Sport modes and DCT, it doesn't seem like such a make-or-break scenario "oh the cars completely utterly untouchable without a DCT" 😂

The ZF8s transformative capabilities from a silky smooth shifter to a quick responsive sporty shifter are phenomenal, and the dynamism lends to a far superior and versatile driving experience. Given OP's background I hope OP gets to drive the car in Sport+ mode, and even then you can always run a tune on transmission to make it even more aggressive.

This whole love for the DCTs, is something I notice a lot. In my experience, has more to do with some whimsical attachment with the idea of these configurations than any discernible performance aspects. Oh, and did I mention how fucking terrible the DCT is in stop-and-go traffic? It is a painful chore!
Appreciate 2
Mehim76.50
      12-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The BMW DCT is dead. The ZF 8AT is the choice until ZF mass produces a clutch-based (i.e., replaces the torque converter) planetary automatic. That setup will the offer the best of a DCT and planetary automatic. Benz is already using it in some of its cars. That's the future once ZF perfects it.

If I were the OP, I'd get a DCT M2 N55 and then use the Forester in snow driving or buy a reliable snow driving machine like a 4X4 truck with the right tires. I would steer clear of the M2 Competition unless you plan to keep it under warranty the entire time of ownership as that S55 crank hub is a spooky thing, especially in the DCTs.

If the OP settles on the M240X, get wheels that can fit 245/35R18s up front. I cannot stress how much of a difference running 245/35R18s up front vs the stock 225/40R18s makes in terms of lateral grip, steering feel, weight, significantly reduced shoulder wear, etc. No other suspension changes. It's monumental and it abundantly clear to me that BMW neutered the lesser 2 series cars with the narrower front tires to keep them off the heels of the M2. I'm back to running the stock staggered setup on my winter tires (grippy Michelin Pilot All Season 4s) and the front axle is seriously lacking front end grip above 7/10s driving.

Last edited by XutvJet; 12-22-2020 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #28
Trishthedish
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
just my personal opinion...
I appreciate your opinion, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.Null View Post
I still don't understand OP's issue with the ZF8. I seriously think OP needs to put the car in Sport+....
I'm over the ZF8 issue after the many comments here regarding how the transmission performs in Sport+ mode. I have to trust that you guys are correct here since I did not get to drive the car in Sport+.

I actually don't want the DCT, it just seemed to perform more like I would want it to during my test drives of the M240xi and M2C IF auto was my only option, which it is for the Xdrives... Of course that's a moot point now given the DCT is dead, wasn't an option at all for the Xdrives (my original question was if it would be in the future), and I'm pretty much over the M240xi given the lack of LSD. I'm not going to void a warranty right away with an aftermarket diff to get a new car to handle (in the snow) as well as the car I already have. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If I were the OP, I'd get a DCT M2 N55 and then use the Forester in snow driving or buy a reliable snow driving machine like a 4X4 truck with the right tires. I would steer clear of the M2 Competition unless you plan to keep it under warranty the entire time of ownership as that S55 crank hub is a spooky thing, especially in the DCTs.
I would probably just get a manual M2C and keep it stock. I guess I'm old now and I don't really mod my cars anymore.

I've decided to just hold out for now and see what happens. I truly do appreciate all of the opinions and valuable information.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #29
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would probably just get a manual M2C and keep it stock. I guess I'm old now and I don't really mod my cars anymore.
I'm dead set on getting an M2 too, but that S55 scares me. Even with no mods and a 6MT, the crank hub can spin. At best, the timing gets jacked up and you spend a few grand to retime everything. Worst case is the valves crash into the pistons and there is also damage to the block or crank. In that instance, you're out nearly $15K to 20K assuming the car isn't under warranty.

The N55, especially in the original M2, is a reliable and power setup with a conservative tune (MHD, Dinan) and a downpipe. It needs an intercooler for track driving or consistent power on the street in warmer weather. A quality downpipe alone will add around 20-25whp/wtq (no tune needed), greatly improve throttle and turbo response, and put less strain on the turbo. With just the DP and intercooler, the N55 M2 will be just as quick from 0-100ish as the M2 Competition and without the risk of a spun crank hub. Parts are a hell of a lot cheaper for the N55 as well. I'm also a bit leery of the air/water intercooling as some S55 owners in M2/3/4 have had coolant leaks in heat exchangers which leak coolant directly into intake tract and combustion chamber. The M2 N55 intercooling is less efficient, but it's way more simple and less risky. That's for sure.
      12-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #30
Rick.Null
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=Trishthedish;27041740]
BMW makes an lsd for the M240xi, methinks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #31
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Methinks? Methinks not.
All discussion I have seen of the LSD specifically notes that it is not for X-drive vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #32
Rick.Null
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Methinks? Methinks not.
All discussion I have seen of the LSD specifically notes that it is not for X-drive vehicles.
Yup, you are right. Seems like there was one for the M235xi and then for the M240i as well, but not for the M240xi
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #33
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.Null View Post
Yup, you are right. Seems like there was one for the M235xi and then for the M240i as well, but not for the M240xi
33108659989 is for the M240i automatic and was marketed for quite some time for the XDrive. BMW removed it from their website but it is apparently compatible. I do not know why it was removed or what ramifications having the LSD has to the xdrive system.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #34
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Quote:
The problem is the rest of the car, and I'm ready to get back into something more refined. I just can't believe the options are so limited.
I shopped for a refined STI like car for years and eventually settled on the M240i xdrive. Honestly I would sell it in a heartbeat for a wacky Yaris GR or any two door rally inspired awd hatch. But we don't get anything fun like that here.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #35
Rick.Null
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
Quote:
The problem is the rest of the car, and I'm ready to get back into something more refined. I just can't believe the options are so limited.
I shopped for a refined STI like car for years and eventually settled on the M240i xdrive. Honestly I would sell it in a heartbeat for a wacky Yaris GR or any two door rally inspired awd hatch. But we don't get anything fun like that here.
Get one from Australia!

Seriously, what a lovely little bulldog of a car that Yaris GR is!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:40 PM   #36
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

a refined sti would be more like a gla 45amg. Overbuilt turbo i4 with a 7spd dct.

you can also make the argument for audi s3, but both do not offer manual options.

But i'm pretty confident if you wanted to spend the money...you can do a manual swap into a m240xi if you really wanted too. The 340xi and 440xi already come with a manual option.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #37
Trishthedish
United_States
Rep

Picking up a 2020 leftover STi without the big ugly wing tomorrow. This should give me some time to see what BMW does in the next few years. Bummed I'm not getting into something different but the STi is still a fun, quick car that I don't mind beating up a bit.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:47 PM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Picking up a 2020 leftover STi without the big ugly wing tomorrow. This should give me some time to see what BMW does in the next few years. Bummed I'm not getting into something different but the STi is still a fun, quick car that I don't mind beating up a bit.

Congrats, enjoy, have fun, and be safe!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2021, 12:28 AM   #39
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:

why not just wait for the redesign with the ascent motor?
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:02 PM   #40
guy688i
Rep
Drives: M240xi, X3

This post gave me a flashback...

I was driving my '08 135i near Vail in the winter several years ago. I had Blizzak winter tires on but got stuck going up a steep portion on I-70. I eventually made it up, but with a fair bit of drama (wife was terrified). I know many will argue the "need" part of AWD, but I now own a M240xi and can attest to the confidence you are describing. The Colorado Rockies in winter are no joke.

However, I had no issues with the RWD/Blizzak combo for many winters driving the Front Range in Colorado... just the crazy elevations in the mountains.

I suppose you'll blend better in Colorado with your Subaru
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2021, 04:44 AM   #41
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

yeah you can get some smoking deals on subarus in colorado...i remember reading colorado was subaru's largest market then the north east.

still not a fan of the ej25 motor. i had a buddy that blew up his brand new 2014 stock wrx with 5k miles on it with ringland.
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #42
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy688i View Post
I suppose you'll blend better in Colorado with your Subaru
Quote:
i remember reading colorado was subaru's largest market then the north east.
Didn't Car and Driver have a piece a few years ago showing where different brands sold the best. IIRC, Subarus sold best in CO, the Northeast, and the Northwest.

This page with the results of a 2016 study comes up first in a search today: https://www.iseecars.com/most-subaru...ate-2016-study.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #43
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
still not a fan of the ej25 motor. i had a buddy that blew up his brand new 2014 stock wrx with 5k miles on it with ringland.
Agreed. I had a 2012 WRX (EJ25) from 2012 through 2016. It was actually quite reliable, but in the back of my find, I always worried about the rod bearings and to a smaller extent, the ringlands. The WRX EJ25 really liked to spin rod bearings and the STI EJ25 loves to break ringlands, though both EJ25 variants are happy to have either issue. The EJ25 simply wasn't designed to be turboed. You're walking on egg shells if you go beyond Stage 1 and even in stock form, they really don't like low rpm-high load situations like going moderate to heavy throttle in a tall gear and at a low rpm (below 3,000rpms). That can induce super knock and lead to a spun rod bearing or the broken ringland.

Luckily, OEM EJ25 blocks are crazy cheap ($1,500) and dealers swap them in and out like lightbulbs. The best fix though is to get a Stage 1 built short block for around $3,000 with forged pistons and stronger rod bearings. For about $5K all in, then you can reliably run a tune and downpipe and beat on the EJ25 fairly hard with not much concern of it breaking.

The OP sounds like they'll keep the STI stock so hopefully the EJ25 will do alright and they won't have issues with warranty work if it does fail. She had great luck with the 2015 STI and nothing has changed drivetrain wise so she should be ok.

If I had the choice between an STI and M240x, I'd take the M240x every freaking time. It's missile compared to the STI (mid 12s@110mph vs lower 13s@104ish) and the interior quality and refinement are completely different ball games. The STI has a better AWD system, but the STI is really hampered by all that engine mass sitting ahead of the front axle. The advanced AWD system contends with it alright, but you know the weight is there and you need to drive around it.. Simply going with 245/35R18s up front in place of the 225/40R18 makes a monumental difference in the M240/235 front end grip. BMW shod these cars with narrow front tires to keep them off the heals of the M2. An M240x with an LSD, square 245/35R18s, and some really minor suspension tweaks would be quite the track and mountain road weapon that would be quite the daily driver too.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-05-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:39 AM   #44
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Didn't Car and Driver have a piece a few years ago showing where different brands sold the best. IIRC, Subarus sold best in CO, the Northeast, and the Northwest.

This page with the results of a 2016 study comes up first in a search today: https://www.iseecars.com/most-subaru...ate-2016-study.
i'm surprised vermont is higher then colorado
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0