THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Videos: Summit Point Main

11-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Videos: Summit Point Main

I recently posted a Mid-Ohio video shot from my M240i. This post has the first of a number of additional videos, all shot at other tracks from an E36 M3 race car I used to own.

If necessary, tell YouTube that you want to see these videos in HD by clicking on the Settings icon.

Due to the difference between the cars, this video and the others I've yet to post are generally quite different from any 2 Series video. This post compares the cars: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...0#post26873140.

There are three videos here, shot during a pair of COM TT events in 2012 and 2013. Each has something specific to offer. The club's TT format starts with a warm-up lap followed by three laps with the track to yourself and then a cool-down lap.

1) This video is principally for entertainment purposes. It was shot during a practice session where I was running with a pair of Corvettes that were built to the same spec.

While the Corvettes are quite different from the E36 M3, the two types of car have very similar power-to-weight ratios (seen on the main straight after T10). The cars exhibit different strengths in different sections of the track. The Corvettes excelled with torque and grip while exiting corners. The E36 excelled in the braking zones, having to be braked early when the Corvettes were close in front.

I don't know what limitations the Corvettes had; my main issue was that the dip in the pavement in T9 made my rear suspension compress fully, and I had to lift and wait in that turn. That added a number of tenths to my lap times.

2) This is three laps of the 2012 TT just after it stopped raining. It was 70°. Check out all that shiny pavement!

The video shows the varying rain lines I chose in an attempt to set FTD. I was more than two seconds back, though, although I did win the event's Most Consistent (MC) award by running laps of 1:40.510, 1:40.733, and 1:40.644.

I finished 5.4 and 6.5 seconds in front of the Corvettes, showing how much difference rain can make between cars and drivers. That would never have happened on a dry track.

The E36 had an extremely stiff suspension (e.g., 1590# main front springs), making it not a lot of fun in the rain for this driver; on a slippery track like Summit Point Main, it was like driving on a knife-edge.

3) This is Lap 3 of the 2013 COM TT, and it has data generally sufficient to see what the driver was doing. It was 55°, and the track was still a bit damp from earlier drizzle.

The line driven here is a useful place to start for a driver at Summit Point Main for the first time.

Last edited by dradernh; 11-03-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
MassNerd171.00
      10-04-2021, 10:29 PM   #2
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD

Garage List
After a 15 year break from HPDEs, I shook off the rust with the NCC chapter's event at Summit Point Main this weekend.

Full session 2 on Sunday:

My best lap:

I'm so impressed with the M240i. Really composed on the track with not too much body roll. Lots of power. Plenty of feedback (it's no Miata, but if you are tuned into the car, you'll feel the tires and the car moving). My car tended to understeer with stock suspension and 235F/265F tire setup. I drove in Sport mode to leave traction control on. Didn't need to push too hard one my first event back on the track. I never tripped traction or stability control though. Brakes with track pads (Pagid RSL29s) and Motul RBF600 didn't fade all weekend.

Last edited by MassNerd; 10-04-2021 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 3
dradernh4177.50
msendit415.50
      10-04-2021, 11:32 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
After a 15 year break from HPDEs, I shook off the rust with the NCC chapter's event at Summit Point Main this weekend.

I'm so impressed with the M240i. Really composed on the track with not too much body roll. Lots of power. Plenty of feedback (it's no Miata, but if you are tuned into the car, you'll feel the tires and the car moving). My car tended to understeer with stock suspension and 235F/265F tire setup. I drove in Sport mode to leave traction control on. Didn't need to push too hard one my first event back on the track. I never tripped traction or stability control though. Brakes with track pads (Pagid RSL29s) and Motul RBF600 didn't fade all weekend.
Nice videos - thanks for sharing!

If you didn't say so, I wouldn't have guessed you'd been away from the track for 15 years.
Appreciate 1
MassNerd171.00
      10-05-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Nice videos - thanks for sharing!

If you didn't say so, I wouldn't have guessed you'd been away from the track for 15 years.

For this, I'm going to credit iRacing. It's amazing how much you can learn about the track from the sim. Not just the basic line, but many of the places where you are likely to unsettle the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
For this, I'm going to credit iRacing. It's amazing how much you can learn about the track from the sim. Not just the basic line, but many of the places where you are likely to unsettle the car.
Some time ago, I learned from a student at the Glen what iRacing can do to prepare a driver for a new track.

He'd never been on a track before, so I drove him around in his car for three laps and then he took over. Right off the bat, he drove a smooth, clean line everywhere around the track. I was very surprised and asked him if he was sure he hadn't been on a track before.

You can tell where this is going. He explained that he'd done hundreds of laps of the Glen in iRacing and that the track looked and felt quite a bit like he expected it to. If every driver showed up as prepared as that one they'd certainly get the most for all the money they're spending.

What did you think of Summit Point? For a handling track, I liked it more than Lime Rock Park and Mid-Ohio.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #6
MassNerd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I really enjoyed Summit Point Main. My absolute favorite is the turns 6-7-8 sequence. Such a fun exercise in shifting the weight of the car using the throttle only!

Turn 3 I also really started to love by the end of the weekend. The braking was intimidating as the track kinks in and the surfaces is quite bumpy, but tracking out while rising up that hill is a blast. A little like the uphill at Lime Rock but less dramatic of course. No getting airborn at the top!

And then turn 4 also intimidated me quite a bit with tire wall straight ahead and then tire walls straight off the braking into turn 5. Such as fast corner, but it felt good once I built up the confidence to carry some speed through it. That's a fast turn!

I've only driven Lime Rock and New Hampshire before this. They were the 2 closest to me back in the day. NH has the fun bankings. Lime Rock's elevation changes are amazing and challenging. But I'd say Summit Point is the best overall of those 3 with the most variety of turns. Then again, I'm sure I can't make a fair judgement as I'm still riding the high from tracking there this weekend!
Appreciate 1
dradernh4177.50