THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Michelin AS4 or GY Exhilarate

07-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Michelin AS4 or GY Exhilarate

Anyone try these AS4s yet? They seem better in respect to the AS3 but I'm just going by what Michelin has put out and is on Tire Rack. I guess what I'm really concerned about is the droning noise of AS3's and if that has been addressed. I'm coming from MMPS. Live near Chicago and summers just have too short of a season.

This other tire I'm considering is the GY Exhilarate.

I don't think the AS3 is for me. Maybe DWS 06 but I'd rather go another direction.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ggered%20Tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...SortCode=53950
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

My two rear tires (AS3+) need replaced early, so Costco is going to put on the AS4 this Friday. I didn't really see much of a difference in the descriptions when I looked into it earlier this week, but I'll let you know if I hear any of the road noise I occasionally hear with the AS3+.
Appreciate 1
P253.00
      07-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #3
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlum235i View Post
My two rear tires (AS3+) need replaced early, so Costco is going to put on the AS4 this Friday. I didn't really see much of a difference in the descriptions when I looked into it earlier this week, but I'll let you know if I hear any of the road noise I occasionally hear with the AS3+.
Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Reading the descriptions, specs and reviews of the new A/S 4, it appears that Michelin set out to improve the snow performance over the A/S 3+. And, according to Tire Rack's early tests, it looks like they did.
I use the A/S 3+ and am very happy with them. Snow performance is not important to me. I only use the A/S tire to get near freezing usability. So, I'm disappointed that it seems they may have shifted the focus of this tire from dry/wet to snow. Comparing the A/S 3+ and A/S 4 in the same size (225/40), the tread width of the A/S 4 was 0.4 in. narrower than the A/S 3+.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Interesting about the minor change^. I use AS tires for the same reason; I don't care about snow, as much as I care about the few days of freezing temps.
I've only driven on the new tires once after leaving Costco (about a 35 minute drive on highway and back roads). It's so hard to tell "changes" as there's too many variables/factors to think about, so if there is a change, I would say it's negligible. I have to replace my rear brakes this week, so after I attempt to do that for the first time, I'll go for a few more rides on the backroads to see if I can "feel" any differences.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
it appears that Michelin set out to improve the snow performance over the A/S 3+

the tread width of the A/S 4 was 0.4 in. narrower than the A/S 3+
Generally speaking, narrower tread width = better performance in snow; so yeah, those two things do go together.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Generally speaking, narrower tread width = better performance in snow; so yeah, those two things do go together.
Exactly.
Unfortunately, that's not why I was buying those tires...
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      08-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlum235i View Post
Interesting about the minor change^. I use AS tires for the same reason; I don't care about snow, as much as I care about the few days of freezing temps.
I've only driven on the new tires once after leaving Costco (about a 35 minute drive on highway and back roads). It's so hard to tell "changes" as there's too many variables/factors to think about, so if there is a change, I would say it's negligible. I have to replace my rear brakes this week, so after I attempt to do that for the first time, I'll go for a few more rides on the backroads to see if I can "feel" any differences.
I tried getting info from Michelin. Phone CS was worthless. I emailed them detailed questions and all they would say was AS3+ and AS4 have the same noise rating.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ordered a set of 4 of the new A/S 4 in 225/40/18 from Costco for my wife's MK6 GTI. $661 installed, out the door. I have an install appointment for next Wednesday. I can compare them to the A/S 3+ on my car and the Conti DSW06 that are on her car now. I'll post my impressions/opinions here.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      08-08-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I ordered a set of 4 of the new A/S 4 in 225/40/18 from Costco for my wife's MK6 GTI. $661 installed, out the door. I have an install appointment for next Wednesday. I can compare them to the A/S 3+ on my car and the Conti DSW06 that are on her car now. I'll post my impressions/opinions here.
Look forward to it! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #11
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got them installed and drove about 20 miles. Here's my subjective observations/opinions:
Pros:
  • Quiet
  • Comfortable ride over road seams and small irregularities
  • No unwelcome slap on moderate size potholes
  • Confidence inspiring turn in feel and expected level of grip in moderate, spirited driving
Cons:
  • Much narrower profile and tread width compared to A/S 3+; similar to or narrower than Conti DSW06
  • Much smaller wheel protector lip on outside sidewall compared to A/S 3+
  • Tread design is much less 'attractive' to me compared to A/S 3+

For me, the cons outweigh the pros because the A/S 3+ has the all the same pros and none of the cons.
I've used the A/S 3+ on multiple cars because I wanted a high performance street tire that: had a wide profile, good tread wear and could occasionally be used in 30-40* weather. I wasn't buying them to use in snow. If I was, I'd get snow tires.
I am disappointed with this new version and will likely not get them for my M240i when my A/S 3+ need to be replaced. Michelin ruined my 'go-to' street tire.
When it comes time to replace my A/S 3+, I will likely get the PS4S and just accept the <40* limitation and faster tread wear.
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2020, 04:31 PM   #12
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Got them installed and drove about 20 miles. Here's my subjective observations/opinions:
Pros:
  • Quiet
  • Comfortable ride over road seams and small irregularities
  • No unwelcome slap on moderate size potholes
  • Confidence inspiring turn in feel and expected level of grip in moderate, spirited driving
Cons:
  • Much narrower profile and tread width compared to A/S 3+; similar to or narrower than Conti DSW06
  • Much smaller wheel protector lip on outside sidewall compared to A/S 3+
  • Tread design is much less 'attractive' to me compared to A/S 3+

For me, the cons outweigh the pros because the A/S 3+ has the all the same pros and none of the cons.
I've used the A/S 3+ on multiple cars because I wanted a high performance street tire that: had a wide profile, good tread wear and could occasionally be used in 30-40* weather. I wasn't buying them to use in snow. If I was, I'd get snow tires.
I am disappointed with this new version and will likely not get them for my M240i when my A/S 3+ need to be replaced. Michelin ruined my 'go-to' street tire.
When it comes time to replace my A/S 3+, I will likely get the PS4S and just accept the <40* limitation and faster tread wear.
Thanks for taking the time to review. I've discarded the idea of the GY's in my first post. The tire dealer I go to is GY and even they have discouraged me. AS3+ seems like it's on the way out which can be an issue. So I'm going with the AS4. If I don't like them within 60 days trial I'll go back to MPSS and deal with the cold temp limitations.
I looked up the tread width and they are narrower than the AS3+ but in line with the MMPS, so hopefully I will not see a difference.
I have to do something. The dry rot on the rears really has accelerated and I don't feel they are safe. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrows drive after install
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #13
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
The dry rot on the rears really has accelerated
How did your tires develop dry rot?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
The dry rot on the rears really has accelerated
How did your tires develop dry rot?
I'd say age primarily. They are just over 5 years old, the point where tires start to degrade. I bought the wheels and tires used. While the tread barely had 1/32 worn off they were 3 years old then. I do theorize that the gobs of silicone shine he had applied has something to do with it.
What's odd is just a few months ago I noticed some very very minor rot. Based on past experience I thought I might even be safe with them next summer. But the cracking has accelerated like I've never seen. Just the rears too.
Look the pic. That long crack is deep enough for me to get my fingernail in and runs all the way around the tire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      08-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #15
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

If AS/3+ are no longer available next tire replacement I may try the Bridgestones 980AS on my 230. They were good on my G37 coupe but not quite as good as the Michelin. On the G I used 245/40-19 and I suspect the 225/40 on the 230 might be better because my main complaint was mediocre hydroplane resistance when new.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #16
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep

I put on the AS4's 3 weeks ago and have driven ~600 miles.

Pro:
-Good traction dry and wet. I had a few issues out of the gate, but that was because of the production film that had not worn off. Pushed it dry yesterday and wet today and liked the result.

-Generally quiet and overall quieter than MMPS. The trade off is no tread noise on MMPS. But MMPS were loud on coarse pavement and IMO even smooth cement. MS4 have very very slight tread noise but much quieter on the coarse pavement and cement.

CON:

- Jarring ride. I mean hard ride like RFT's. Almost like the 1st gen RFT. They did soften just a little during the breakin.
- Loss of steering feel. I think it's the hard sidewall. The MMPS were wonderful in this regard. Now the steering is light like, well you guessed it, RFT's.
- Cannot get them balanced. The place has a Hunter Road Force. I don't think they used it on the first go. Returned and found the guy had no idea what he was doing. So I got one of the more experienced guys to do it. Still had issues so I retuned a 3rd time. I think one was not road forced as it was 1oz off. Fixed that and drove to work and back. Still vibrates a bit high speed. I think there is no margin of error because they are so stiff.

I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm not going to drive on the highway and hate it the whole way because of a balance issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #17
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I put on the AS4's 3 weeks ago and have driven ~600 miles...
I have no idea what to do at this point. I'm not going to drive on the highway and hate it the whole way because of a balance issue.
I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with them.
I did not have the balance issues or experience the RFT-like ride quality on my wife's GTI. Other than the issues I noted above, I think they are comparable (though not as good) as the A/S 3+.
But like I said, for the next tire on my M240i, I think I'll get the PS4S and accept the cold weather limitations.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #18
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
I'd say age primarily. They are just over 5 years old, the point where tires start to degrade.....
Look the pic. That long crack is deep enough for me to get my fingernail in and runs all the way around the tire.
I'm wondering if that is freeze damage. Technically the MPSS is a summer only tire, and according to Michelin should not be driven on under 40F. Not even supposed to store them below freezing, and if you do, don't move/bounce/inflate them until they are warmed back above freezing.

But, if you're in the Chicago area, you can easily get well below zero. If the tires are driven when that cold, then you could definitely get cracking like that. That would especially explain the crack all the way around the circumference.

If it was regular tire rot, you would see it way more in the sidewalls, and not in the tread blocks.

UPDATE: Found the reference I had on MPSS and cold weather cracking. Sounds exactly like the cracks you have.

Name:  Michelin Warning.PNG
Views: 1143
Size:  231.3 KB

Last edited by ggggbmw; 10-14-2020 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #19
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

I need tires in the next couple of weeks and am close to buying the AS4s. I just dread the possibility of buyers remorse the first warm day of next spring. My M240i is my daily driver so an all season makes at least some sense, but I do drive my car quite hard in the corners so lost stickiness will be missed.

Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #20
sauceonside
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
I need tires in the next couple of weeks and am close to buying the AS4s. I just dread the possibility of buyers remorse the first warm day of next spring. My M240i is my daily driver so an all season makes at least some sense, but I do drive my car quite hard in the corners so lost stickiness will be missed.

Ugh.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. My original MPSS are nearing end of life. I often travel from Northeast to Midwest and frequently reach temperatures under 40. I have a dedicated set of Sottozero winters but I don't like using them when there's not real snow conditions. So I'm torn between getting the AS4s for the summer instead of using Winters for cold temps in the fall and early spring.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #21
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceonside View Post
Quote:

Ugh.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. My original MPSS are nearing end of life. I often travel from Northeast to Midwest and frequently reach temperatures under 40. I have a dedicated set of Sottozero winters but I don't like using them when there's not real snow conditions. So I'm torn between getting the AS4s for the summer instead of using Winters for cold temps in the fall and early spring.
Quote:

Ugh.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. My original MPSS are nearing end of life. I often travel from Northeast to Midwest and frequently reach temperatures under 40. I have a dedicated set of Sottozero winters but I don't like using them when there's not real snow conditions. So I'm torn between getting the AS4s for the summer instead of using Winters for cold temps in the fall and early spring.[/QUOTE]
There will be temperatures below freezing this week and it made me realize I made the right choice in opting for the AS4s (they go on text Tuesday). I'm dreading driving on those cold days and am looking forward to having them throughout the winter. I'll see if I can live with them on warm days. If not, I'll get a second set of wheels and some summer only stickies and give the middle finger to regret. I'll post my impressions.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 05:30 PM   #22
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the AS4s on this week. Haven't taken any pictures yet (and I'm not sure that there is really anything to see), but I am VERY pleased. I'm quite surprised how well they corner. I can't say I won't get a set of summer wheels for warmer weather, but I'm glad for my decision to get the AS4s for the cooler weather. Wow.

Added photos:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Rollo`124.00