THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Extending the warranty on an M240i?

01-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #1
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Extending the warranty on an M240i?

I have seen lots of posts on extending the original warranties, but most are for the 228i. My car is a weekend-only 2017 M240i (6MT) which stays in a garage with only 16K miles on it. My CPO warranty expires in a little over a year. Would it be wise to maintain a warranty on this car? If so, BMW or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

BMWCCA tech guru Mike Miller recommends Zurich for the extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
In my mind the choice to purchase an extended warranty is all about how one handles the risk / reward equation. If someone is more risk adverse and feels more secure knowing a repair issue would be covered and not result in a large hit to the checking account then the extended warranty is probably a valuable investment. On the other hand if someone is less risk adverse and can sleep at night not worrying about a potentially catastrophic issue with their car, then the extended warranty is probably a waste of money. Of course there are many other factors to consider, such as would a surprise $2K repair bill be something which significantly impacts your financial situation or would it be something you could manage without worry. Also, has your car had issues previously leading you to think it may continue to have issues. Generally speaking I think consensus is the BMW 2 Series has proven itself to be pretty solid, reliable, trouble-free vehicle.

Personally, my M235i has been out of warranty for 6 months and has 55K trouble-free miles under it's belt. I have chosen to save the money I'd spend on an extended warranty and take my chances. I sleep just fine at night with that decision. Only you can decide whether the extended warranty is worth it for you.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
I have seen lots of posts on extending the original warranties, but most are for the 228i. My car is a weekend-only 2017 M240i (6MT) which stays in a garage with only 16K miles on it. My CPO warranty expires in a little over a year. Would it be wise to maintain a warranty on this car? If so, BMW or aftermarket?
My 2017 M240i has 11K and its warranty expires in 6/22. Like you, mine's garaged and I'm not driving it much; I'm not likely to for some time to come. Because I can afford to deal with whatever is likely to come up during the rest of my ownership, I'm not considering an extended warranty. My best guess is I'll have the car for a total of 6-8 years and 30-35K.

MarcoZandrini mentioned Roundel Tech Talk columnist Mike Miller's reference to Zurich for an aftermarket warranty. This is the full text of his response to a member's query:

Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
How many of these aftermarket warranty threads do we have to live through?
These policies are for risk-averse folks who value peace of mind above all else.
Especially with such a low-mileage vehicle, the simplest route is self-insurance.
Take the money that you would use to pay for the insurance and put it in a place where you won't be tempted to use it for other purposes. If you need it for repairs, it will be there. If not, you are up whatever you have managed to keep untouched.
Remember, insurance companies do not lose money!!
Appreciate 4
      01-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
These policies are for risk-averse folks who value peace of mind above all else.
Especially with such a low-mileage vehicle, the simplest route is self-insurance.
Take the money that you would use to pay for the insurance and put it in a place where you won't be tempted to use it for other purposes. If you need it for repairs, it will be there. If not, you are up whatever you have managed to keep untouched.
^
this 100%
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #7
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Yes, it is a similar post. However, as I stated earlier: There are similar threads, but I wanted this one to be more M240i specific. One that focuses on the B58 drivetrain which is still largely unproven for long-term ownership.

For instance, I recently walked away from a great deal on a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon which JUST came off warranty. It only had 6000 miles on it, too. Although quite reliable and easy to repair, that particular model year did have issues of an engine tick which can require $$$ head replacement. So, I walked.

Hence, my question. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:38 AM   #8
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
While I don't have a B58 in car, my sense is the motor is very reliable, at least as reliable as the N55. You have to remember it's used across almost the entire BMW lineup. I think if there were common issues they would be known by now. In fact when you look at all the 2 Series 3 / 4 Series, 5 Series and X Series, there are probably quite a few B58 equipped BMW's with 100K miles or more of service under their belts. If you're really concerned, I suggest posting your question in other forums.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #9
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Reminds me of 2012 at my local credit union as I was financing my used 2004 E46. They could not understand why I declined an aftermarket warranty. They said what if the engine blows up? So I said, "Then I'll just put another one in it", and walked away with my car. I just don't buy extended warranties.
Appreciate 1