THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum bilstein b14 for m240i RWD, keeps sending me the same 2 L struts

05-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

bilstein b14 for m240i RWD, keeps sending me the same 2 L struts

Has anyone installed the bilstein b14 coilover kit on an m240i rwd? I've received 2 kits so far with both containing identical left and right front struts. So the bracket protruding from the side is the same.

Not sure what is going on lol. Bilstein isn't giving me a straight answer either. I called them and they said they don't have individual part numbers for the 2 front dampers, just a single part number.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

according to realoem there is a left & right piece for oem parts, not sure if somehow bilstein is different..

left: 37116865539
right: 37116865540
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
according to realoem there is a left & right piece for oem parts, not sure if somehow bilstein is different..

left: 37116865539
right: 37116865540
thats why we are are scratching our heads. ECS is telling us they should be identical. Even though they saw the pictures and sent us a new kit. i'm going in circles right now. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
You must have the adaptive suspension. RWD vehicles with passive dampers use two "left" struts in the front, so that's how Bilstein developed their kits.

You can use the two left Bilstein struts, but you'll need to get an additional left end link. After that, it'll fit/work.

Here's a post I made explaining the same situation to another RWD user last year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
RWD cars use two of the same front struts (one PN) on the left/right side (doesn't matter what side you put them on). xDrive and RWD EDC cars have L/R specific struts.

RWD cars also use one PN (31306792211) for both their L/R sway bar end links. RWD EDC cars have separate L/R end links (31306792211 and 31306792212), once again, the same as xDrive.

For your son to use the B14s he needs one more 31306792211 end link to replace the 31306792212 right end link, or adjustable end links. Also he can either use an EDC delete kit to plug into the EDC wires that normally go to the strut, or can have EDC coded out (and just tuck the wires behind the wheel liner) to prevent the car from throwing warnings because it doesn't detect the EDC sensors anymore. When I went from EDC to static suspension I coded it out.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You must have the adaptive suspension. RWD vehicles with passive dampers use two "left" struts in the front, so that's how Bilstein developed their kits.

You can use the two left Bilstein struts, but you'll need to get an additional left end link. After that, it'll fit/work.
I do!! ECS told me the system was compatible as plug and play. So looks like that isn't the case. This is what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Is this normal to do btw? Or should I be backing away from this and going with something more directly compatible?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
I do!! ECS told me the system was compatible as plug and play. So looks like that isn't the case. This is what I needed to know. Thanks so much!

Is this normal to do btw? Or should I be backing away from this and going with something more directly compatible?
It's totally fine to install the Bilstein kit with two left struts on your vehicle as soon as you get a second matching left end link to fit to the right side. I edited my last post above to include where I explained this exact situation to a couple of users last year (and they successfully put this B14 kit on their RWD EDC 3-series vehicles). You will need to add a delete kit or code out EDC, but I believe you already know that part.

The alternative is ask Bilstein to send you two xDrive front struts since those are L/R specific. They'll fit your vehicle, have the same spring rates and damping, and the only difference is the amount they protrude below the knuckle is a bit less (because they have to leave clearance for a front drive axle CV boot).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's totally fine to install the Bilstein kit with two left struts on your vehicle as soon as you get a second matching left end link to fit to the right side. I edited my last post above to include where I explained this exact situation to a couple of users last year (and they successfully put this B14 kit on their RWD EDC 3-series vehicles). You will need to add a delete kit or code out EDC, but I believe you already know that part.
Yep, we planned to code it out. Thanks so much for the advice!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Thread revival.

Looked into the B14 kit since some sites like FCPEuro shows that they are compatible with the US-spec M240i, but on Bilstein's own site, only the B16 kit is listed.

Contacted Bilstein and this is what they said:

All the M240i’s that were sold in the US had electronic suspension and for this reason we only have the B16 DampTronic kit cataloged for your vehicle. This kit will plug into and interface with the factory EDC system.

FCP Euro is purchasing some Euro spec B14 kits and selling them on their website. We will reach out to them about this. We would not recommend using the B14 kit on your US spec M240i.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #9
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHP to B58 View Post
Thread revival.

Looked into the B14 kit since some sites like FCPEuro shows that they are compatible with the US-spec M240i, but on Bilstein's own site, only the B16 kit is listed.

Contacted Bilstein and this is what they said:

All the M240i’s that were sold in the US had electronic suspension and for this reason we only have the B16 DampTronic kit cataloged for your vehicle. This kit will plug into and interface with the factory EDC system.

FCP Euro is purchasing some Euro spec B14 kits and selling them on their website. We will reach out to them about this. We would not recommend using the B14 kit on your US spec M240i.
B14 is a retrofit on the m240i not a direct fit plug and play. Bilstein is not going to recommend a part not directly made for the m240i with adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 10:55 AM   #10
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
B14 is a retrofit on the m240i not a direct fit plug and play. Bilstein is not going to recommend a part not directly made for the m240i with adaptive suspension.
Makes sense. Did you have to buy any additional parts/components to code out EDC?

If the only difference between the two kits is retention of EDC then I'd be fine with the B14s.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 12:13 AM   #11
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHP to B58 View Post
Quote:
Makes sense. Did you have to buy any additional parts/components to code out EDC?

If the only difference between the two kits is retention of EDC then I'd be fine with the B14s.
I just had to buy an additional end link. Per the above recommendations. and just had the EDC coded out instead of deleting them at the hardware.
Appreciate 0