THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Buying advice between 240i pre LCI vs Post LCI

12-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
haris2887
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Buying advice between 240i pre LCI vs Post LCI

Hi All.
New user here.
I am about to pull the trigger on an m240i.
I am having a hard time deciding between a 2017 Post LCI vs a 2017 pre LCI.

There is basically about a 2-3K AUD price difference between the two.
Both are around the 30K Km's (18K miles) on the clock.

From my understand the main difference between the LCI is Headlights + Cluster + center trim.

Any one have any ideas on which one I should take ?
**EDIT
Is there a way to determine what upgrades have been fitted to the cars from factory ?
E.G The Vision package or Driver assistance package etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Rick.Null
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by haris2887 View Post
Hi All.
New user here.
I am about to pull the trigger on an m240i.
I am having a hard time deciding between a 2017 Post LCI vs a 2017 pre LCI.

There is basically about a 2-3K AUD price difference between the two.
Both are around the 30K Km's (18K miles) on the clock.

From my understand the main difference between the LCI is Headlights + Cluster + center trim.

Any one have any ideas on which one I should take ?
**EDIT
Is there a way to determine what upgrades have been fitted to the cars from factory ?
E.G The Vision package or Driver assistance package etc...
Hey there,

Check this out for an LCI rundown

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1383402

Also, go to mdecoder.com and put in the VIN for package/options breakdown

Also, for me, the LED headlights alone make the LCI worth it

Oh, and touch screen!!! Totally worth it. Makes life a lot easier!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #3
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

if your gonna mod it, i would just go for the cheaper one unless you really want the updated cluster. if your not going to mod it, i would get the LCI, since its a little bit nicer.
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
haris2887
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

LCI cluster does not bother me because it doesn't have GPS navigation etc ..
It basically has the same information as the old cluster if I am not mistaken..

I will be modding it with a LSD , front lips ,rear diffuser and some nicer peddle shifters ..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
jv92red
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i (SOLD) E92M3 (SOLD)

I have a 17' M240i pre-LCI (7-28-16 production date) and I guess ignorance is bliss. I personally don't see a big difference in having the LCI items as a dealbreaker or must-haves IMHO. Nice to have, maybe.? But worth an extra 2-3K? I'll leave that up to you to decide. For me I'd put that 2-3K into a rear diff like this car SHOULD have come with. But that's a different discussion altogether. (BTW, if BMW did the LCI which then included a limited-slip diff then I would say LCI all the way!)

1)Xenon/HID to LED headlights. My Adaptive Xenon lights that also apparently lit the way for the Mayflower on its voyage to the new world seems just fine to me. I would say a change from Halogen to HID/Zenon/LED would be the most difference/improvement in automobile frontal illumination in the last 30+ years but going from Xenon to LED just seems like maybe more of an efficiency improvement? There are some that say LED isn't an improvement on throw from the Xenon/HID. If there are more differences like color temp or improvements in LUX/Lumens then please don't anyone tell me cause again, ignorance is bliss.

2) Different DRL outline? Went from eyebrow and semi circle with flat bottom to semi oxtagonal and no eyebrow? Both pre-LCI and LCI are LED BTW. Ok.... different, I guess so. To me, no big deal.

3) Redesigned interior (especially trim). I've studied both. I see not much in the way of "improvement" maybe just aesthetic changes really. LCI cupholder has a sliding cover. Same size screen as pre-LCI screen but LCI now has touch screen.... for me = nope, I don't use them in cars if I can avoid them. I HATE fingerprints on car displays and the iDrive controls work VERY well in this car.

4) Digital instrument display. I like the look of my instrument cluster just fine. Not sure if this new instrument cluster is an aesthetic improvement but rather a 'get with the times' technology improvement?

5) New interior and exterior color choices and wheel options. Sunset Orange, Seaside Blue, and Mediterranean Blue for new exterior options. And I think a new additional leather color option "Cognac" was offered. Cool. More options are always nice.

6) Redesigned LED tail lamps. This one I have to study side by side to really see the difference and even then, I'm not sure what the benefit of the change is other than to LED?

I would call all of these changes more of a mid-cycle refresh and not a full LCI change as BMW has done with past cars. From my experience in being in the BMW family with earlier cars, some of the past LCI changes with other models were much more dramatic. Motor changes and infotainment upgrades. But for aesthetic changes, it's all subjective.

Coming from my 2010 E92 M3 Pre-LCI which was mostly the taillights compared to the 11'-13 E92 M3, I always wanted to change them but never did. Would have required a new set of tail assemblies that cost $500-$700 and then required coding as well. It just wasn't a big enough change and other than other E92 owners, no one can tell unless they are parked next to each other. Everything else was the same between cars but when buying and selling these cars EVERYONE wants a LCI M3 E92 vs a pre-LCI M3 E92 and were willing to pay thousands more. (assuming the LCI is a non-competition pack car since the ZCP package wasn't available on pre-LCI cars)
https://bmwsportscar.com/wp-content/...e-vs-lci-1.jpg

So either way, go out and get your M240i and enjoy it for what it is, and don't get caught up in the minutia of things...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 12:31 AM   #6
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

just as a FYI..the post lci is not a digital cluster. There analog gauges with white led back light with black tint glass on top to darken out the gauges when its off.
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:22 PM   #7
BigBødy
Rep
Drives: '16 M235xi, '19, '21 M240xi

I had an original M235i & an LCI M240i. The LCI has a way cooler modernized cluster, yet still maintains the classic analog format (which is exactly what id want). The touch screen idrive is improved which is also nice. Everything else is basically the same. My LCI had constant problems with 1 rear LED tail. It would constantly throw errors & flicker weakly. Easy fix was a sharp blow with your palm to the housing. Overall, id go with the LCI if i had the choice.
Appreciate 0