THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications deAuto LED Rear Turn Signal, Reverse, Brake Lights

04-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #155
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Well, I ordered my reverse lights and the tracking said that it was "left with an individual" this past Friday around noon. Too bad no one was actually here and my package is nowhere to be found. I contacted Deautokey and they said that it is "out of their hands" and implied that it's up to me to work it out with the post office. wtf.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #156
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ugh, their fine print explicitly states that they're not liable for any lost or stolen packages, but they did offer to send me another set of bulbs plus some fee if they are indeed lost. I'm sure that they're a small outfit, but I really don't like policies like this. I feel like a company should ensure that things get delivered to you and they stand behind the product from the moment it's ordered all the way until the product is delivered.

http://deautokey.com/warranty-policy

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #157
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

That's bad luck on the delivery, unfortunately it is becoming very common. I had a stack of boxes stolen from my front steps just before Christmas, my neighbors even chased the thieves down the street!
The delivery policy of DeAutokey is sub par. Even the deliveries from Aliexpress have delivery protection and their LEDs are 1/3 the price.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #158
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, after fighting the USPS automated service (seriously I had to pretend like I had not tracking info in order to actually speak with a person) I was able to at least start the investigation that Deauto Key requires. We'll see. Hopefully it'll get delivered. I've never had any packages stolen before, so I'm hoping that the mail person scanned the package and then forgot to actually take it out of the truck. :/

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #159
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, after being more than a week late I finally received my reverse lights. Taking the housing off was a bit more of a pain than I had anticipated. Still, the entire process took me about 15 minutes.

The reverse lights are way brighter than stock. They kinda hurt my eyes, but my eyes are sensitive to light ever since my corrective surgery. If I had to guess I'd say that they're at least 5 times brighter than stock. I'm sure the lumen values are out there to prove my estimation to be wrong lol. As bright as these are they're still not bright enough to overcome my 5% tint on the rear windows. :/ I am able to see a bit better using my side mirrors though since my sides are 18%. Regardless, the Bimmertech rear camera add-on has just been added to my mod list. I'm sure that these bulbs will help the camera out immensely.
Attached Images

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 02:07 PM   #160
puffalo
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235 Coupe 6MT RWD

Another succesful upgrade, thank you to the kind folks in this forum who led me to deauto for the LED's. Couple of installation notes. The rear tail light assembly is very snug and requires a little force to remove. Be aware of not scratching the surrounding paint when yo remove. Also the snaps that hold the bulb section to the housing are very snug as well. When closing be sure to put something very soft like a towel under the housing so you don't scratch the lenses when you squeeze it all back together.
The front turn indicators easiest access is thru the fender liner. Take out three screws from bottom and pull liner back. With a small flashlight look up and you will see the round cylinder with tabs that you twist a 1/4 turn to remove. Swap the bulb for the LED and your done. Test and then button her up.
Total time about 45 minutes start to finish
Appreciate 2
      07-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #161
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

So, to confirm in this thread... If i want to change my front turn signal to LED's, I simply can code out bulb checks and there will be ZERO flickering at startup and ZERO flickering while driving around town. I'm dying to order a pair, but want clarity in this before even deciding which brand to get.

My second question is,(if you code out the bulb checks), can you then code out the amber glow at night during driving, but allow the blinker LED blinker to remain functional when activating the blinker only?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #162
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i
So, to confirm in this thread... If i want to change my front turn signal to LED's, I simply can code out bulb checks and there will be ZERO flickering at startup and ZERO flickering while driving around town. I'm dying to order a pair, but want clarity in this before even deciding which brand to get.

My second question is,(if you code out the bulb checks), can you then code out the amber glow at night during driving, but allow the blinker LED blinker to remain functional when activating the blinker only?
yes and yes. here's a post describing how to code out the flicker. also read the post after this one.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...2#post17874832

Build thread
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #163
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Nice! Thanks Bentzero. Now to look through a list of 150 degree LED front turn signals . Is there a compiled list where to buy? I saw binmian has a pair for $100 bucks
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 11:11 PM   #164
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Nice! Thanks Bentzero. Now to look through a list of 150 degree LED front turn signals . Is there a compiled list where to buy? I saw binmian has a pair for $100 bucks
Um, I didn't really find too many lists. Deautokey has a nice package and listing. I got my reverse bulbs from them for $50. They're ridiculously bright which is what I wanted because I have dark tint and needed the extra light.

I got my front blinkers from Amazon for $30. They're just a tad brighter than stock which is what I prefer anyway. I also like the look of these in the headlight housing. They flicker as I noted earlier which is fine by me. It's kinda cool, but that's just me. If I do decide to code it out in my next session I'll probably turn off the side marker function and boost the night time cat eyes to 70%.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 04:36 AM   #165
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero
Quote:
Um, I didn't really find too many lists. Deautokey has a nice package and listing. I got my reverse bulbs from them for $50. They're ridiculously bright which is what I wanted because I have dark tint and needed the extra light.

I got my front blinkers from Amazon for $30. They're just a tad brighter than stock which is what I prefer anyway. I also like the look of these in the headlight housing. They flicker as I noted earlier which is fine by me. It's kinda cool, but that's just me. If I do decide to code it out in my next session I'll probably turn off the side marker function and boost the night time cat eyes to 70%.

Does the boost to the eyes generate a lot more heat where anything can damaged in the headlight? I'm strongly considering this option! Any negative impact from doing this?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #166
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i
Quote:
Quote:

Does the boost to the eyes generate a lot more heat where anything can damaged in the headlight? I'm strongly considering this option! Any negative impact from doing this?
Cat eyes are 100% during the day stock, so nope no real negative effects.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #167
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey Bentzero. Do they make LEDS Where there led white during constant lighting at light and blink yellow when using the blinker? I had custom ones made me for a 350z years ago that did this. Haven't seen anything though. Would be cool to have white on at night and have them still blink yellow
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #168
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Bentzero. Do they make LEDS Where there led white during constant lighting at light and blink yellow when using the blinker? I had custom ones made me for a 350z years ago that did this. Haven't seen anything though. Would be cool to have white on at night and have them still blink yellow
Man, that'd be pretty tight. I've not seen anything like that though.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #169
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Man, that'd be pretty tight. I've not seen anything like that though.
Yeah there called switchback. I had them custom designed for my 350z in the reflectors

I'm trying to find pics so I can post as an example. I might even have a video
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #170
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
full led lights

i did deAuto LED's all around and my AE are coded to 100% at night.

so i like the contrast between the white bright AE and the yellow side/turn signial lights.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #171
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
i did deAuto LED's all around and my AE are coded to 100% at night.

so i like the contrast between the white bright AE and the yellow side/turn signial lights.

nice, still my favorite mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 12:57 AM   #172
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
I am iffy on doing LEDs after some previous experience on the MINI. Changed most of them to LEDs with canbus (resistor) and they work nicely for the first few days.... some start to fail... some last longer than others. I gave up on the MINI and put back all the standard incandescent bulbs there. I even installed non canbus bulbs and they worked fine and again they all failed!

Time was well wasted and was unable to find reliable bulbs and just gave up. Don't want to mess around with the bmw...
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #173
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
I am iffy on doing LEDs after some previous experience on the MINI. Changed most of them to LEDs with canbus (resistor) and they work nicely for the first few days.... some start to fail... some last longer than others. I gave up on the MINI and put back all the standard incandescent bulbs there. I even installed non canbus bulbs and they worked fine and again they all failed!

Time was well wasted and was unable to find reliable bulbs and just gave up. Don't want to mess around with the bmw...
So out of the 12 LED's that go in the M235i, one has failed.
I sent it back, $3 in shipping, and they sent me 2 in less than a week.
And in installation was a snap. Just 1 hr and I replaced all 12, plus the
headlights too.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #174
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
So out of the 12 LED's that go in the M235i, one has failed.
I sent it back, $3 in shipping, and they sent me 2 in less than a week.
And in installation was a snap. Just 1 hr and I replaced all 12, plus the
headlights too.

Thanks for letting me know, I saw your post previously about it. Also they're in the states and I'm at Canada. Their site doesn't allow shipping to Canada yet and the return will be a huge pain in the a**
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #175
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
That Sucks, Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
Thanks for letting me know, I saw your post previously about it. Also they're in the states and I'm at Canada. Their site doesn't allow shipping to Canada yet and the return will be a huge pain in the a**
That Sucks, Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 03:07 AM   #176
Stayreal
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Hey guys, I was wondering if I am only planning to install reverse light LED, will the car do the check up as well? or it does not effect anything, since I am only changing the reverse light. Thanks.
Appreciate 0