THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Dealer Inventory Questions

05-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #1
Hungarai
Rep
Drives: M235 xdrive

Dealer Inventory Questions

I live in the Washington DC area and I am in the market for an M235 xdrive. We have many dealers in the area, but their inventories are incredibly stale. None have the color combo/options that I am looking for, even with some reasonable sacrifices. To help me level-set my expectations on this issue, I hope some of you can answer a few questions:

* In general, can I expect dealers to receive more 2015 M235s in these summer months? If so, any thoughts on how many per month?
* When will dealers begin receiving 2016s?

Unfortunately, ED doesn't fit my schedule. Regular U.S. custom order could possibly work. From the day I place the order at the dealership, what's the probable date of delivery range? Is there a great deal of unpredictability in the date?

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
gtfalve
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungarai View Post
I live in the Washington DC area and I am in the market for an M235 xdrive. We have many dealers in the area, but their inventories are incredibly stale. None have the color combo/options that I am looking for, even with some reasonable sacrifices. To help me level-set my expectations on this issue, I hope some of you can answer a few questions:

* In general, can I expect dealers to receive more 2015 M235s in these summer months? If so, any thoughts on how many per month?
* When will dealers begin receiving 2016s?

Unfortunately, ED doesn't fit my schedule. Regular U.S. custom order could possibly work. From the day I place the order at the dealership, what's the probable date of delivery range? Is there a great deal of unpredictability in the date?

Thanks all.
Don't expect too many M235is to be popping up at dealerships in the area, BMW is starting to wind down on 2015 product. If you were to order one now you'd probably get it some time in July, assuming the dealerships in your area still have '15 allocation. I ordered my car in June last summer and received it on August 23rd, which was the first '15 2 series my dealership received. If you plan on ordering one, make sure to get your order in soon before BMW shuts down their factory in Auguast
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I ordered a 2014 M235 around mid May of 2014 and received car around August 8th of 2014.
Couple of things: When shopping for my car found the dealers outside Wash D.C. up to and around Baltimore to be excellent. Matter of fact BMW of Towson has a red M235ix automatic as a loaner car.
I bubbled a tire on the Baltimore Beltway - caught a pot hole of similar when making a lane change - so analyze the roads you will use to make sure tires aren't an issue. One of the Ravens players lived near Fells Point Balto. City and the low profiles on his 5-series couldn't handle the brick streets very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
pete1713
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
FWIW, I'm in the mid-Atlantic as well. While I had a couple of dealers that came close to having something in stock that I wanted, none was quite there. They also couldn't find anything, they said, within transfer radius.

I got lucky when BMW of Catonsville found one on the dock in Germany that they managed to secure for me. Otherwise, I'd found what I wanted in Columbus, OH, and was considering the logistics of flying out there and driving back.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
dcfella
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete1713 View Post
FWIW, I'm in the mid-Atlantic as well. While I had a couple of dealers that came close to having something in stock that I wanted, none was quite there. They also couldn't find anything, they said, within transfer radius.

I got lucky when BMW of Catonsville found one on the dock in Germany that they managed to secure for me. Otherwise, I'd found what I wanted in Columbus, OH, and was considering the logistics of flying out there and driving back.
Got mine from BMW of Catonsville too. They had ALMOST the exact spec'd car I wanted(only thing missing was the driver's assist package) and they gave me a fair price(about 7% off msrp).
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfalve View Post
Don't expect too many M235is to be popping up at dealerships in the area, BMW is starting to wind down on 2015 product. If you were to order one now you'd probably get it some time in July, assuming the dealerships in your area still have '15 allocation. I ordered my car in June last summer and received it on August 23rd, which was the first '15 2 series my dealership received. If you plan on ordering one, make sure to get your order in soon before BMW shuts down their factory in Auguast
When you say "allocation" what are you referring to? And when you say "starting to wind down on 2015 product" what exactly are you referring to? According to the published production schedule Leipzig is going to be producing 2015 2 series for at least another 5 to 6 weeks. I'm also in NJ, and the dealers are saying that they can now procure all the 2 series cars they care to order, but they just don't stock many of them as there not much demand, even at higher volume dealers. They say that you can expect a car ordered today to be rolling out of the factory in 2 to 4 weeks. If you look back at what other forum members have reported here, it seems to typically be 4 to 5 weeks from production to arrival at northeast/midatlantic dealers. Leipzig is scheduled to start producing 2016 2 series in July.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
When you say "allocation" what are you referring to?
Dealer's are "allocated" a certain number of each model for each production. They can't just order as many as they want of any particular model. This allows BMW to distribute their production evenly over their sales network.

A dealer may have used all his allocations for a certain model and be unable to order another one unless he trades with another dealer ("I'll give you an allocation for an M4 if you give me one for an M235i.")

Interestingly, my CA told me last week that when he was trying to get an M4 allocation for a potential customer, the other dealer wanted to trade for a 2-series slot.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Dealer's are "allocated" a certain number of each model for each production. They can't just order as many as they want of any particular model. This allows BMW to distribute their production evenly over their sales network.

A dealer may have used all his allocations for a certain model and be unable to order another one unless he trades with another dealer ("I'll give you an allocation for an M4 if you give me one for an M235i.")

Interestingly, my CA told me last week that when he was trying to get an M4 allocation for a potential customer, the other dealer wanted to trade for a 2-series slot.
So if the dealers in my area are each saying they can get all the 2 series they care to order, they are just oversimplifying the situation, and they just mean that they each have excess 2 series allocation?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

Order one

Quote:
When you say "allocation" what are you referring to? And when you say "starting to wind down on 2015 product" what exactly are you referring to? According to the published production schedule Leipzig is going to be producing 2015 2 series for at least another 5 to 6 weeks. I'm also in NJ, and the dealers are saying that they can now procure all the 2 series cars they care to order, but they just don't stock many of them as there not much demand, even at higher volume dealers. They say that you can expect a car ordered today to be rolling out of the factory in 2 to 4 weeks. If you look back at what other forum members have reported here, it seems to typically be 4 to 5 weeks from production to arrival at northeast/midatlantic dealers. Leipzig is scheduled to start producing 2016 2 series in July.
There is a retool time at the factory so to get a 2015 is going to be a VERY narrow window (basically it would have to be a car already allocated to a dealer that is about to go into production, but far enough out you can still make changes) But either way your better off ordering since you'll get a car that is at the very least a post the March 2015 update (they made a few changes that are minor for most cars, but is material for tech package) OR get a 2016 which will likely include even more updates.

The 2015 would get to pretty quickly since your east coast, a 2016 likely won't get to you before late July, early August. Also if you haven't ordered before make sure you get a production number within a week of ordering.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehlion View Post
There is a retool time at the factory so to get a 2015 is going to be a VERY narrow window (basically it would have to be a car already allocated to a dealer that is about to go into production, but far enough out you can still make changes) But either way your better off ordering since you'll get a car that is at the very least a post the March 2015 update (they made a few changes that are minor for most cars, but is material for tech package) OR get a 2016 which will likely include even more updates.

The 2015 would get to pretty quickly since your east coast, a 2016 likely won't get to you before late July, early August. Also if you haven't ordered before make sure you get a production number within a week of ordering.
What's the March 2015 update you are referring to, and what does it have to do with the tech package? I recall reading that there was some changes to the dashboard trim. Is that the update you are referring to? Were other changes made to the cars at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

Updates

Quote:
What's the March 2015 update you are referring to, and what does it have to do with the tech package? I recall reading that there was some changes to the dashboard trim. Is that the update you are referring to? Were other changes made to the cars at the same time?
Hey Shark, please see this thread

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116749
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post

So if the dealers in my area are each saying they can get all the 2 series they care to order, they are just oversimplifying the situation, and they just mean that they each have excess 2 series allocation?
That is correct. Either they have open slots in their allocation for that model, our it's typical car salesman B/S.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:33 PM   #13
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't see that!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:30 PM   #14
sakitnyatudisini
Banned
Rep
Drives: ford f150

Quote:
Thanks for link advice
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #15
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
They could have excess (haven't sold as many as they/BMW thought they could), they could have a good allocation trading deal with other dealers, or they could be blowing smoke up your a.., uh, nose.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #16
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Every one of my cars I ordered. Takes about 6 weeks or so depending on the timing of the boat coming across the pond. You get exactly what you want. Well worth the wait in my opinion.
      05-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #17
danlgen
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
I'm in nj too, was given similar timeline but told allocation on 235s very limited. I put deposit down mid March, didn't get production number till beginning of may. Still waiting on production date. hoping for delivery in June. Best of luck on you search.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
Hungarai
Rep
Drives: M235 xdrive

Thank you all for the insight -- very helpful. Hopefully I'll pull the trigger sooner than later, be it order or inventory.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #19
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

I ordered my 2014 right before Memorial Day last year. I got it in about 8 weeks on the east coast. You're good, but I wouldn't wait until June to order.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #20
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

With the 2er you're better off ordering. It took about 10 weeks for me.
Appreciate 0