THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Mercedes-Benz W/S206 C-Class Sedan/Estate

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
10282
Rep
5,226
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor1
Mercedes introduced the W201 in 1982 as the precursor of the C-Class, which went on to become its best-selling series lineup. After nearly 40 years on the market and six generations (including the original 190 series), the C-Class has racked up more than 10.5 million sales. The time has come for a new generation that will try to continue the success of its predecessors despite competing in an SUV-hungry market.

The German luxury brand is not wasting any time as the sedan is being joined from day one by the more practical wagon, which will continue to remain a forbidden fruit in the United States. As expected, the exterior design is not a major departure from the outgoing model, but Mercedes has implemented enough changes to make the C-Class feel fresh for 2021.

It follows the sharper headlight design theme seen in the bigger models and adopts a cleaner side profile with reduced lines. The US-spec model will be available with a choice between 18- and 19-inch wheels whereas its European counterpart is also getting a smaller 17-inch set. At the back, the W206 generation is the first C-Class to have two-piece taillights, bringing the model in line with the more expensive E-Class and S-Class.

From the outside, some would argue it's more along the lines of a significant facelift rather than a next-generation model, but that all changes once you hop inside the cabin. No, we haven't made an error while uploading these images as these do show the new C-Class rather than the latest S-Class. The screen-heavy setup has trickled down from the crown jewel of the Mercedes lineup.

In North America, the 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster will be standard, and so will the 11.9-inch touchscreen for the second-generation MBUX infotainment system. Over in Europe, lesser trim levels will make do with a smaller 10.25-inch driver's display and a more compact 9.5-inch center screen. The interior will be more spacious than before as a result of stretching the wheelbase by one inch (25 mm), now at 112.8 in (2,865 mm).

Speaking of dimensions, the new C-Class is 2.5 in (65 mm) longer and 0.5 in (10 mm) wider compared to the model it replaces and has a sleeker stance thanks to a slightly lowered roofline. As a result of its increased footprint, there's more headroom, elbow room, and shoulder room at the front and rear, with passengers sitting in the back also enjoying more legroom.

In terms of practicality, the cargo capacity of the sedan has remained unchanged – at 17.9 cubic feet for the US model and 455 liters for its European counterpart. It's a different story with the long-roof model as the wagon can now swallow 490 liters with the rear seats up and 1,510 liters after you fold them, representing a 30-liter increase in both instances.

Let's talk about the engines, which are all electrified and linked to a nine-speed automatic transmission. The US-spec model keeps things simple by being offered exclusively with a turbocharged 2.0-liter gasoline mill. The C300 offers 255 horsepower 190 (kilowatts) and 295 pound-feet (400 Newton-meters) of torque and is complemented by an integrated starter-generator (ISG) providing a temporary boost of 20 hp (15 kW) and 148 lb-ft (200 Nm).

Both the rear-wheel-drive C300 and its 4Matic sibling hit 60 mph (96 km/h) in 5.9 seconds and top out at an electronically capped 130 mph (209 km/h).

The European C-Class also gets C200 / C200 4Matic gasoline models with a smaller 1.5-liter developing 201 hp (150 kW) and 221 lb-ft (300 Nm), plus the aforementioned boost from the ISG. The all-paw model reaches 62 mph (100 km/h) in 7.1 seconds in both sedan and wagon flavors while the RWD models do the job in 7.3 seconds (sedan) and 7.5 seconds (wagon).

In terms of top speed, the AWD-equipped C200 sedan and wagon reach 150 mph (241 km/h) compared to the 153 mph (246 km/h) velocity of the RWD sedan and 149 mph (240 km/h) of the RWD wagon.

A base C180 will be available in Europe exclusively with RWD and the 1.5-liter dialed down to 167 hp (125 kW) and 184 lb-ft (250 Nm). This one too has the ISG, contributing to a decent sprint to 62 mph in 8.6 seconds before the car reaches 144 mph (231 km/h) regardless of the body style.

Mercedes will also offer C200d, C220d, C220d 4MATIC, and C300d mild-hybrid diesels on the Old Continent with a 2.0-liter oil burner. It produces 161 hp (120 kW) and 280 lb-ft (380 Nm) in the base version, followed by the midlevel model with 197 hp (147 kW) and 325 lb-ft (440 Nm) and optional all-wheel-drive, and then the top-tier diesel with 261 hp (195 kW) and 406 lb-ft (550 Nm). The beefiest of the bunch completes the sprint in 5.7 seconds (+0.1s for the wagon) and is limited to 155 mph (250 km/h).

But wait, there's more. In Euroland, Mercedes also has a C300e serving as a plug-in hybrid model with a 2.0-liter gasoline engine and an electric motor offering a combined output of 308 hp (230 kW) and 406 lb-ft (550 Nm). The PHEV variant has a 25.4-kWh battery pack with enough juice for an electric range of 62 miles (100 kilometers), per WLTP.

Available in both body styles, the C-Class with a charging port is the only member of the family to feature air suspension, which actually comes standard. The PHEVs come with a more generous cargo capacity and a longer load floor after repositioning the battery pack.

Mercedes is adding optional rear-wheel steering to the C-Class to reduce the turning circle by 17 in (43 cm) to 10.64 meters (419 inches). The steering angle at the rear axle is 2.5 degrees or four times smaller than the more sophisticated setup installed in the S-Class. At speeds below 37 mph (60 km/h), the rear wheels steer in the opposite direction to the front wheels and in the same direction at higher speeds.

The MBUX is not the only tech inherited from the big-boy S as Mercedes is also implementing the Digital Light system. The optional headlight setup projects guidelines and warning symbols onto the road up ahead while offering superior dazzle-free illumination by splitting the light using a whopping 1.3 million micro-mirrors.

The new Mercedes C-Class will arrive in US dealers at the beginning of 2022. Meanwhile, Europeans will be able to order the sedan and wagon from late March and check out the cars in the shiny metal at dealers from this summer. The C-Class All-Terrain rugged wagon will follow, along with the AMG C43 (or is it C53?) and C63 high-performance models with their hybridized four-cylinder engines.
https://www.motor1.com/news/489998/2...-class-reveal/



Attached Images
              
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 2
mkoesel6824.50
supra931563.00

      02-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6825
Rep
19,182
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Well, it looks like what one might've expected based on all the leaks. It's an attractive design, if somewhat more derivative of the outgoing model than new C Class iterations often are.

It's unfortunate that they don't seem to be sharing any details on the C43 nor "C63e" at this time. I was hoping to see C43 pictures and at least get some mention of the latter if only to get official confirmation on what they are calling it. These two are by far the most interesting as far as drivetrain because of the downsizing. All of the other models being introduced today were also equipped with a four cylinder in their equivalent W205 form, so there's no big shake-up there. Though the new 261hp I4 diesel is somewhat interesting. They are basically matching the 330d in power (and getting only slightly less torque) with two fewer cylinders.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i10281.50
JTO243055.00

      02-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
10282
Rep
5,226
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List












__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 1
supra931563.00

      02-23-2021, 09:04 AM   #4
heavyD^2
Lieutenant Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
1770
Rep
1,719
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Boring Mercedes on the outside and boring Tesla on the inside. Someone needs to tell Mercedes that only Tesla fanboys like the giant tablet interior. They are even doubling down with all haptic controls on the steering wheel leaving the driver no tactile controls. That entire dashboard looks cheap in a car of this price point. I generally am okay with most modern MB exterior designs but the droopy rear ends have never looked great to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:15 AM   #5
am3r1ka
Lieutenant
am3r1ka's Avatar
United_States
873
Rep
463
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E90  [0.00]
Seems to take more after the CLA in the front fascia department. At least it's not offensive I guess.
__________________
Retired: 2011 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #6
Burrcold
Colonel
Canada
2309
Rep
2,141
Posts

Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I like it better in all ways vs the current. VERY conservative but clean design inside and out. I too was REALLY hoping to hear what's in store for the C46/63.
__________________
2019 Audi RS5 Sportback
2020 BMW M340i xDrive - Sold
2019 Audi S5 Sportback - RIP
2019 Audi S4 - Sold
2018 Audi S5 Coupe - Sold
Appreciate 2
JTO243055.00
stein_325i10281.50

      02-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
10282
Rep
5,226
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Boring Mercedes on the outside and boring Tesla on the inside. Someone needs to tell Mercedes that only Tesla fanboys like the giant tablet interior. They are even doubling down with all haptic controls on the steering wheel leaving the driver no tactile controls. That entire dashboard looks cheap in a car of this price point. I generally am okay with most modern MB exterior designs but the droopy rear ends have never looked great to me.
I wouldn't say only "Tesla fanboys" like the tablet design as while they are the originator of the design, its clear that auto industry is following them, and there is a large market interested in that design.

Even with its controversial design MB has already had success with the W223 S-Class and its tablet style interior with 40k orders at launch (more than the beloved W222 at launch). Every automaker from Volvo to Subaru, Ford, Ram, Porsche, Audi, VW, and even BMW is following their lead and removing buttons and switchgear in favor of "touch-capacitive" buttons and large screens for "uncluttered" interiors. As much as we hate it, luxury is now more synonymous with screens and tech than it is leather, wood and metal.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 3
mkoesel6824.50
JTO243055.00
Tacoma509.50

      02-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #8
heavyD^2
Lieutenant Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
1770
Rep
1,719
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
I wouldn't say only "Tesla fanboys" like the tablet design as while they are the originator of the design, its clear that auto industry is following them, and there is a large market interested in that design.

Even with its controversial design MB has already had success with the W223 S-Class and its tablet style interior with 40k orders at launch (more than the beloved W222 at launch). Every automaker from Volvo to Subaru, Ford, Ram, Porsche, Audi, VW, and even BMW is following their lead and removing buttons and switchgear in favor of "touch-capacitive" buttons and large screens for "uncluttered" interiors. As much as we hate it, luxury is now more synonymous with screens and tech than it is leather, wood and metal.
Screens are cheap. As you said Subaru has a big tablet screen and they are not a brand I look to for luxury. All this does is blur the lines between luxury and mainstream offerings from the Japanese and domestics. All auto interiors are going to have big tablets and bright led ambient lighting that distract from that actual luxury touches. This glowing LDC interior has all the ambience of tacky discotheque setting for teenagers obsessed with having a smartphone in their face 24/7.

It's like the big grilles. All automakers are going in that direction and as you can see from this forum there's a lot of detest for it. If you accept that automakers are going this direction because people love this interior then you also have to accept that people love big grilles.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 02-23-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #9
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6825
Rep
19,182
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
If you accept that automakers are going this direction because people love this interior then you also have to accept that people love big grilles.
Or alternatively one simply acknowledges that, outside of a relatively small group of hardcore enthusiasts, most people don't scrutinize every last aspect of vehicle design and appearance as part of their purchasing process. Obviously the way a vehicle looks does play a role in what people buy. But laymen criteria for what looks good and what doesn't tend to be far less sophisticated than those features "car guys/gals" may obsess over.

This phenomena isn't limited to automotive world, nor is it even limited to aesthetics. It's just that most people are looking for something that meets their needs and don't care to analyze deeply. Whether it's a $5 bottle of wine that gets the job done, the model of washer/dryer they in the Best Buy circular, the condo advertised at $169,990 on the big billboard, whatever. Consumers are just that - consumers. They consume things and move on with life.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i10281.50
JTO243055.00

      02-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #10
heavyD^2
Lieutenant Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
1770
Rep
1,719
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Or alternatively one simply acknowledges that, outside of a relatively small group of hardcore enthusiasts, most people don't scrutinize every last aspect of vehicle design and appearance as part of their purchasing process. Obviously the way a vehicle looks does play a role in what people buy. But laymen criteria for what looks good and what doesn't tend to be far less sophisticated than those features "car guys/gals" may obsess over.

This phenomena isn't limited to automotive world, nor is it even limited to aesthetics. It's just that most people are looking for something that meets their needs and don't care to analyze deeply. Whether it's a $5 bottle of wine that gets the job done, the model of washer/dryer they in the Best Buy circular, the condo advertised at $169,990 on the big billboard, whatever. Consumers are just that - consumers. They consume things and move on with life.
I agree with what you are saying. I believe most buyers don't really care about the size of the grille either way. Big or small they don't care as long as the car excels at what they are looking for in their commuter whether that be utility, sportiness, fuel economy, etc. However with the screens the reality is that they are distracting and force drivers to take their eyes off the roads. Once we get to the days of autonomous vehicles this will be a non-factor but I'm a believer that the average driver today is far worse than drivers of a few decades ago because of the distractions going on inside their vehicle whether it be them on their cell phone or navigating through infotainment screens. I have already got used to big grilles and don't mind them in most applications but I'm never going to like having to use a touch screen to change interior temperature or turn on heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
10282
Rep
5,226
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Though the new 261hp I4 diesel is somewhat interesting. They are basically matching the 330d in power (and getting only slightly less torque) with two fewer cylinders.
One interesting model from the previous generation that I assume they will be continuing on is the plug-in Diesel hybrids. Of course being the US and dieselgate we'll never see these but the combination of diesel and a PHEV is very interesting as that isn't something I've seen on many other Euro cars (or maybe I'm not paying attention enough ). Apparently it gets 35 miles electric (I'm assuming this is WLTP) while still retaining the torque and efficiency if a diesel engine when not using electric. Pretty neat.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #12
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6825
Rep
19,182
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
However with the screens the reality is that they are distracting and force drivers to take their eyes off the roads. Once we get to the days of autonomous vehicles this will be a non-factor but I'm a believer that the average driver today is far worse than drivers of a few decades ago because of the distractions going on inside their vehicle whether it be them on their cell phone or navigating through infotainment screens.
You're right. I agree with all of those points.

But to the original suggestion that consumers don't want this type of interface, I tend to agree with stein_325i that things are moving this way because, like big grills, people have already accepted that this is the way forward. And since people love their touch screen phones and devices, most probably see this as a move for the better even though it's arguably inferior from a safety perspective.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i10281.50

      02-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #13
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6825
Rep
19,182
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
One interesting model from the previous generation that I assume they will be continuing on is the plug-in Diesel hybrids. Of course being the US and dieselgate we'll never see these but the combination of diesel and a PHEV is very interesting as that isn't something I've seen on many other Euro cars (or maybe I'm not paying attention enough ). Apparently it gets 35 miles electric (I'm assuming this is WLTP) while still retaining the torque and efficiency if a diesel engine when not using electric. Pretty neat.
I agree, that is a cool setup, and I'd like to see an updated version. If rumors are true, the "C63e" will have a PHEV setup with over 100hp in the electric motors alone. If you combined that with the 260hp diesel, you'd have something that could go toe-to-toe with the M340d and probably be far more efficient. I don't know if they'll actually build something like that, but it would be awesome.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i10281.50

      02-23-2021, 12:36 PM   #14
Germanauto
Brigadier General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
5847
Rep
4,222
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW, SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Exterior styling is very clean and classically Mercedes in a way. The outgoing generation has too many quirky styling bits that have been cleaned up.

I'm really not a fan of the ugly screen but that's what wows consumers. Rest of the interior is a home run design-wise. Quality will probably be sub-par in typical Mercedes fashion.
__________________
Make BMW Great Again
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #15
supra93
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1563
Rep
1,890
Posts

Drives: CLK, E500, Supra, RX7
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Interior
Exterior
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #16
FinalRenegade
Private First Class
FinalRenegade's Avatar
Canada
150
Rep
142
Posts

Drives: M6 GranCoupe | Last Model Year
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Exterior styling is very clean and classically Mercedes in a way. The outgoing generation has too many quirky styling bits that have been cleaned up.

I'm really not a fan of the ugly screen but that's what wows consumers. Rest of the interior is a home run design-wise. Quality will probably be sub-par in typical Mercedes fashion.
Yeah the redesign is gorgeous, but for an entry level car, they've gotta take shortcuts somewhere which I think will be quality (cheap plastics)

I honestly do not like the new tail-lights... The angular triangle doesn't seem fancy to me, I hated it on the new S and E
Appreciate 1
Germanauto5847.00

      02-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #17
AlexFL
Brigadier General
5212
Rep
3,410
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Exterior styling is very clean and classically Mercedes in a way. The outgoing generation has too many quirky styling bits that have been cleaned up.

I'm really not a fan of the ugly screen but that's what wows consumers. Rest of the interior is a home run design-wise. Quality will probably be sub-par in typical Mercedes fashion.
That screen is way too small. I hoped for a 17 inch screen or maybe even two 17 inch screens.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 03:35 PM   #18
AlexFL
Brigadier General
5212
Rep
3,410
Posts

Drives: BMW X3MC, Audi RS7 (pre-ord.)
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

The front looks just like CLA or any other newer MB model. But I guess that's what MB customers like.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #19
Tacoma
Lieutenant
510
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: BMW's for 25+ years
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Screens are cheap. As you said Subaru has a big tablet screen and they are not a brand I look to for luxury. All this does is blur the lines between luxury and mainstream offerings from the Japanese and domestics. All auto interiors are going to have big tablets and bright led ambient lighting that distract from that actual luxury touches. This glowing LDC interior has all the ambience of tacky discotheque setting for teenagers obsessed with having a smartphone in their face 24/7.

It's like the big grilles. All automakers are going in that direction and as you can see from this forum there's a lot of detest for it. If you accept that automakers are going this direction because people love this interior then you also have to accept that people love big grilles.
Don't think I agree with the comparison to big grilles. IIRC, big grille is a design trend that started with the "Singleframe" design of the Audi A8 back in 2004. Circa 17+ years later and this trend is soon likely going the way of the dodo bird because EV's don't even need grilles. Even with ICE cars you don't need large grilles so it was for design not function or practicality.

Large screens, however, is design following function. Besides the practically of a larger navigation, more tech are being incorporated requiring more buttons/switches but instead they put it on the screen and, if you do that, then why not also put existing buttons on the screen, and so on. So to handle all that, you either have a large screen like the new S & C Class, or many smaller screens like the RS7. If you don't do that then you end up with way too many buttons like some Porsche used to have but now they are going towards larger screens too to rid the buttons.

So one is an old and soon to be dated design trend and the other is not necessarily a trend but more of a design necessity.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #20
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
10282
Rep
5,226
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
C-Class Coupe and Cabriolets' Fate Unknown

Mercedes To Axe Some Coupes And Convertibles To Focus On EVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor1
As Mercedes embraces an electric future, it needs to spend money wisely by focusing on high-volume sellers to fund the development of its EQ lineup of zero-emissions vehicles. What that means is that niche models are in jeopardy, hence why the SLC, S-Class Coupe, and S-Class Convertible have already been terminated. As it turns out, additional two-door models are facing the proverbial axe.

In an interview with Autocar, chief operating officer Markus Schafer admitted the company's lineup is simply getting too big: "We reached a portfolio of close to 50 vehicles last year, and there's more to come on the electric side with our EQ lineup. We have some limitations in terms of what we can do in research and development."

He went on to say some of the models currently available are competing in a small market that's simply not worth the trouble as it would be wiser to redirect the R&D efforts towards bigger sellers. Schafer says "significant shifts" in the portfolio are being planned, and while Mercedes is not completely abandoning coupes and convertibles, the main focus will be on EVs.

"That's why we're shifting: we're going to continue with coupes and cabriolets in the future, but in a different form and shape. We will not give up the segment because it's very important to use as a brand-shaper, but maybe in a more limited offering."

Ok, so which models are staying and which are going to be discontinued? Well, as previously mentioned, the SLC and two-door S-Class are gone. A next-generation SL roadster is coming this year and will be followed by an AMG GT Coupe featuring largely the same underpinnings. The E-Class Coupe and Convertible were recently facelifted and will stick around for the time being.

It likely means the 2022 C-Class unveiled yesterday in sedan and wagon formats might not get coupe and convertible derivative for the new generation. Nothing is official at this point, but don't be too surprised if that happens considering we haven't seen any spy shots of two-door C-Class prototypes undergoing testing.

While Mercedes puts swoopy sedans like the CLA and CLS in the coupe category on its official websites for reasons beyond our understanding, Schafer wasn't referring to those. Speaking of these sleek sedans, a new model was considered in the early development stage of the C-Class to rival the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe, but it was ultimately dropped. Reports had referred to it as a CLC revival with rear doors, but that's not happening anymore.

Despite plans to cut back on combustion-engined cars, Mercedes is planning to introduce a model it hasn't offered before. We're talking about the C-Class All-Terrain to fight the Audi A4 Allroad, though to be fair, it's not a completely different vehicle since it's essentially a C-Class Estate with a more rugged look and lifted suspension.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT

Last edited by stein_325i; 02-24-2021 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
mkoesel6824.50

      02-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #21
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6825
Rep
19,182
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
It's not the first time we've heard rumors of the C Class coupe and convertible being dead. It makes sense. Non-SUV sales are still falling, and this leaves two door models, which were already a small niche, with a very thin slice of the pie. I've read rumors of Mercedes going to a single four seat coupe/convertible model, similar to the old CLK (but this time also with no CL or S Class coupe/convertible in the lineup, obviously). I suspect this is where they are headed. Audi is there already with the A3/S3 convertible now gone and TT 2+2 coupe in its final model year, leaving only the A5/S5/RS5 four seat, two door models.

This may or may not foretell a similar future for BMW. With Mercedes reducing their sedan based two-door fleet, it opens opportunity for BMW. On the other hand, it is still a declining segment. At a minimum, it seems increasingly unlikely that the two door 8 Series models will survive past the current generation. If we assume that will happen for the sake of argument, the bigger question becomes, after the G42 2er and G22/G23 4er finish out toward the end of the decade, does BMW try to combine those into a single model somehow? If this were to happen, it would mean the end of either the M2 or M4 so it would obviously have big implications for enthusiasts.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i10281.50
BMWGirlFL1647.50

      02-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #22
stein_325i
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
10282
Rep
5,226
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
It's not the first time we've heard rumors of the C Class coupe and convertible being dead. It makes sense. Non-SUV sales are still falling, and this leaves two door models, which were already a small niche, with a very thin slice of the pie. I've read rumors of Mercedes going to a single four seat coupe/convertible model, similar to the old CLK (but this time also with no CL or S Class coupe/convertible in the lineup, obviously). I suspect this is where they are headed. Audi is there already with the A3/S3 convertible now gone and TT 2+2 coupe in its final model year, leaving only the A5/S5/RS5 four seat, two door models.

This may or may not foretell a similar future for BMW. With Mercedes reducing their sedan based two-door fleet, it opens opportunity for BMW. On the other hand, it is still a declining segment. At a minimum, it seems increasingly unlikely that the two door 8 Series models will survive past the current generation. If we assume that will happen for the sake of argument, the bigger question becomes, after the G42 2er and G22/G23 4er finish out toward the end of the decade, does BMW try to combine those into a single model somehow? If this were to happen, it would mean the end of either the M2 or M4 so it would obviously have big implications for enthusiasts.
Yep rumor has it a "CLE" coupe/cab will be replacing both C and E coupe/cabs. Hopefully it will retain the E-Coupe's lack of a B-Pillar, its just such an awesome and unique design having the windows down with no B-Pillar but still having a metal roof. The only coupe/cabs left other than that will be the SL and GT.

I could see BMW following suit and thinning out the lineup. The 8er is pretty much already on its way out, along with the Z4, leaving the 2er and 4er. The 2er is one foot in the grave with the cab being dead. Sad times ahead for lovers of 2-doors.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST