THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Shopping for a 2 Series: Question about M Sport Pkg

01-07-2021, 03:27 AM   #1
mdf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Shopping for a 2 Series: Question about M Sport Pkg

Hi. New forum member. I'm looking at buying a 228 or 230.

I don't know if I can be helped unfortunately. But a couple of questions about the M Sport Package.

So the first 2 Series I ever drove was a 228 with the M Sport Package. I drive 35 mph up a winding gentle hill. As soon as I started uphill, every two car lengths, the front suspension would twitch, up-down, then the rear would twitch, up-down. Like I was hitting a small lip in the pavement, every two car lengths. I went slower, and it was time, not distance. Regular pattern, front suspension would kick, followed by the rear. When I drove a winding street downhill, no issues. Flat street, no issues. Afterwards, I drove the same incline in my loaner car and the road was totally smooth.

Throttle response was awful in this car. Full-throttle, fine. Car moved quickly. But in a corner if I wanted a little more throttle, there was just nothing. And the steering was so light and overboosted that I just gave up on driving this car hard.

So I can't figure this out. Is this normal behavior for the M Sport Package? My guess is I set something wrong or I did something wrong but what? The suspension seemed, bizarre. I drove a base 228 and thought its suspension and steering was much better.

I'm going out to test another 228 with the M Sport Package. How should I set it up, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

And here's why I don't know which mode I was in unfortunately: I got the key, got set up, put the car in Sport mode but then got into a thing with the salesman unfortunately. Maybe a sidetrack but the thing was, he told me over the phone the car was a non-smoker and I drove all the way out to see it, and it's a smoker. The cabin reeked of cigarettes and it really pissed me off. Also their add says car has power seats and it doesn't. I pulled around got out and had a few unhappy words with him, then he got in the car and started pushing buttons everywhere getting the AC going full blast and opening the windows and sunroof and telling me “smell is gone” and I never thought to look or recheck the mode. And I never changed it while driving. I was so thrown by the twitching suspension and light steering, I meant to change modes to experiment but my attention went elsewhere and I just forgot. I don't recall the engine ever cutting when I stopped at traffic lights so I think that's Sport?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:20 AM   #2
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

your the wrong kind of demographic for 228. i would look into a m235i or m240i, there going to be closer to what your looking for. The cost between between a m235i and 228 m package isnt that much on the used market.
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 2
mdf278.50
      01-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

So, lots to unpack here.

The 228/230 can handle and feel wildly different based on spec. I recall there are 4 possible specs?

Sport (This is the default suspension)
X-Drive with Track Handling Package
RWD M-Sport
RWD Track Handling Package

The Track Handling Package cars have adjustable suspension. Sport and M-Sport are fixed. If there were changes to the suspension every set amount of time then maybe an issue if you drove a Track Handling Package variant. I don't know how it would be possible with a fixed suspension car.

If you had shitty throttle response and ultra-light steering that sounds like Comfort mode. The steering in these will never be great no matter the mode or package for the record but, the Sport modes at least have weight to it and vastly improves throttle response.

In M-Sport RWD variant, the suspension is just a bit firm but I don't think unexpectedly so.

These cars have a memory button above the ignition that disables/enables Auto Start/Stop so you can't necessarily use that as an indicator.

If you're in regular Sport mode and hit the DTC button it puts you back in Comfort with DTC on.

Last edited by GoldfishRT; 01-07-2021 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
mdf
Private
Rep

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. Thanks to you both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishRT View Post
The Track Handling Package cars have adjustable suspension. Sport and M-Sport are fixed. If there were changes to the suspension every set amount of time then maybe an issue if you drove a Track Handling Package variant. I don't know how it would be possible with a fixed suspension car.

If you had shitty throttle response and ultra-light steering that sounds like Comfort mode. The steering in these will never be great no matter the mode or package for the record but, the Sport modes at least have weight to it and vastly improves throttle response.

In M-Sport RWD variant, the suspension is just a bit firm but I don't think unexpectedly so.

These cars have a memory button above the ignition that disables/enables Auto Start/Stop so you can't necessarily use that as an indicator.

If you're in regular Sport mode and hit the DTC button it puts you back in Comfort with DTC on.
Those were very helpful clarifications. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
It depends on the year I think.

I have the 2015 spec. If you have the Track Handling Package for that year, you get the M-Adaptive suspension, vs. if you just got the M-Sport trim without the package, you'd get the M-sport non-adaptive suspension. At any rate, that weird skipping behavior you describe just sounds like something might be wrong with the suspension of that particular car?

The throttle response thing I think is part of the BMW traction control system. This is from what I can tell, present in both the 228 and m235i, but not quite as prominent in the M2, at least based on reports where the m235i will also have a delay in putting down power. Sport Plus mode reduces that, and the Dinan Stage I seems to eliminate it completely.
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I have the 4-cyl in my wagon and the 6-cyl in my M235, DINAN Stage 1 and 2 respectively. It definitely makes a big difference in both cars.
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #7
Rollo`
Captain
Rep

I think the variable steering engaged by sport mode in the 2018+ RWD M-sport 230s improves the steering feel. Still nothing like my old e92 but better than the 2017 without the variable steering that I test drove.

To me this car is not driveable without sport mode engaged. The throttle and transmission response is beyond pathetic in comfort mode.

In sport mode it is a really fun car to drive and I find it very enjoyable.
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #8
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

What you describe is not normal behavior, there was s/t wrong with that car. Steering/throttle actually sounds like he had you in EcoPro mode (was there all this wired graphic stuff on the display?) but could just be another facet of whatever was wrong. You will want to trial a car with the speed-sensitive adaptive steering if you are thinking of that, since some like it and some hate it.

And WTF is 'the wrong demographic' for a 228/230 anyway?
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
And WTF is 'the wrong demographic' for a 228/230 anyway?
Younger than the age for a driver license or dead.

Other than those cohorts, psychographics rule, not simplistic demographics.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 3
dradernh4379.00
Maynard3848.00
mdf278.50
      01-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #10
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Here I was thinking that I missed the part where OP complained about erectile dysfunction or something.
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-09-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
New_2_Guy
Fist BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Hello,

I have 228i m sport rwd manual. I love it. The driving settings make a huge difference. If you are in eco, the throttle response is super slow. And on the dash, when you first enter eco you will see some things change but the center portion of the dash can be switched back out into other options so that may not be a dead giveaway. But cycle through the modes on your next test drive. The track handling pack added adjustable suspension, the blue big brake kit, I think different tires and adaptive steering. I might be missing something so if anyone can correct me please do. I avoided the track handling pack as the road here in Montreal suck and I wanted to avoid expensive suspension repairs in the future. I love the m sport steering wheel and I do most of my commute driving in comfort and then switch to sport or sport plus for fun back roads. Eco is just awful unless you are cruising long distances on the highway with cruise control on. Do not test drive in eco.

And I agree, I hate smoker cars. My brother tried having a used smoker car detailed by several shops and it was never smoke free.
Appreciate 1
mdf278.50
      01-12-2021, 05:42 AM   #12
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
@mdf What you describe sounds all wrong and from the description, looks like a fault/faults with the car you test drove.

Options and packages can be very confusing, specially when they change over time and then you add individual dealer initiatives (my dealer was adding all the M Performance trim at cost price on new orders, at one point) plus owner retro-fits.

So, a way to get clarity is to spreadsheet a list of all the various features and options and then just tick-off what's included with any car you're looking at - like at the end of an old-fashioned sales brochure. Even dealers get confused sometimes - thay have the full range of every model acoss time to contend with so they can get it wrong too.
mdf278.50
      01-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
mdf
Private
Rep

Thanks to you all for your time and advice.

Having driven a few 228's now, I wonder if the mode switch might have been faulty on that first car. One of the 228's I drove, when you clicked into Sport and then Sport+, there was a firm CLUNK that you could feel through the chassis. I could also feel the chassis tighten up. Other 228's I have driven have been softer. The kick I felt with that first car, I wonder now if the mode switch or elements in that circuit were faulty. I don't understand why there would be a delay F-to-R but anyway. I've also discovered that dealers indeed do not always know what options the car actually has. I wouldn't be so surprised now to discover that the car had the THP and the dealer simply didn't know it or list it. It did have manual seats.

Another bummer: I made an offer on a low-mileage 2016 228 that had all the options I wanted and dealer accepted, and I took it for a pre-purchase inspection. The insp turned up a rodent nest in the engine and serious oil leak and other issues. So I bailed out of the deal. Car was real nice on top but not so good underneath.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 02:43 AM   #14
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post
[...] may have been faulty on that first car. One of the 228's I drove, when you clicked into Sport and then Sport+, there was a firm CLUNK that you could feel through the chassis.
Definitely a problem. That's all electronic software stuff. Should not be any clunking from the mode rocker switch.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71RS, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, custom 3" alumalite splitter, GTS wing, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 07:02 AM   #15
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Agreed, clunking indicates a mechanical problem with the engagement of the system. In all my years of switching modes on my 235, I have never experienced a clunk. The whole business is eerily smooth.
Appreciate 0