THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New BMW fan! Looking for advices for my f23

12-31-2020, 06:23 AM   #1
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW f23 220i

Smile New BMW fan! Looking for advices for my f23

Hi guys!

I'm looking for your opinions/recommendations on my BMWf23 220i (2019) please.

Well, I got my ECU remapped and the hp/torque gain is pretty impressive on the B48 engine.

I got the shorter antenna as well that's all so far for cosmetics.

I'm on 17" wheels and considering putting some 18" but would this affect the acceleration?

Also, I wanted to upgrade the head unit display but all I see on the market its China-made products which doubtfully any good quality?

I was considering sway bars are they worth it?

And also is there a way to put bigger brakes let's say from m2 on my 220i?

Let me know please!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 09:12 AM   #2
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadVlad View Post
Hi guys!

Well, I got my ECU remapped and the hp/torque gain is pretty impressive on the B48 engine.

I'm on 17" wheels and considering putting some 18" but would this affect the acceleration?

Also, I wanted to upgrade the head unit display but all I see on the market its China-made products which doubtfully any good quality?

Let me know please!
Yes and not in a positive way. Upping wheel and tire size normally increase weight. The more unsprung rotational weight you have to turn, the more acceleration suffers.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Quote:
Hi guys!

[COLOR="Red"]I'm on 17" wheels and considering putting some 18" but would this affect the acceleration?[/COLOR]

Let me know please!
[COLOR="Red"]Yes and not in a positive way. Upping wheel and tire size normally increase weight. The more unsprung rotational weight you have to turn, the more acceleration suffers. [/COLOR]
Quote:

[COLOR="Red"]Yes and not in a positive way. Upping wheel and tire size normally increase weight. The more unsprung rotational weight you have to turn, the more acceleration suffers. [/COLOR]
Thank you for you input USA-RET!

I'd probably just repaint my 17" wheels in glossy black to match the front grill color!

Since its just 220i (even chipped) Id hate to loose the acceleration or torque moments (I love drifting or cornering a bit in the Spain mountains)
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Thank you for you input USA-RET!

I'd probably just repaint my 17" wheels in glossy black to match the front grill color!

Since its just 220i (even chipped) Id hate to loose the acceleration or torque moments (I love drifting or cornering a bit in the Spain mountains)
While he's totally correct in that bigger wheels will affect acceleration, if you're just going from 17's to 18's its likely that you wouldn't be able to feel the difference, especially if you're going from a lower quality wheel to a lightweight high quality wheel.

Also, if you're looking to maybe fit some bigger brakes on there in the future, you may need bigger wheels just for clearance. I'm fairly sure M2 brakes won't fit under 17's.

I guess what i'm saying is that if you like the look of 18-inch wheels, just go for it. It's one inch bigger. If you were going for like 20-inch wheels....you might want to think about penalties to acceleration and handling. But 18's? I think you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #5
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Ok I get that you want to spend money on your car, but these changes are mostly not going to help. Maybe the roads in Spain have no potholes and the bigger wheels will not increase the risk of damage, never been there. Your car has very good brakes, are they causing problems? The sway bar might be helpful, my 230 does understeer. And keeping fresh tires on it will be money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Ok I get that you want to spend money on your car, but these changes are mostly not going to help. Maybe the roads in Spain have no potholes and the bigger wheels will not increase the risk of damage, never been there.
My (admittedly limited) understanding of the situation is that yes, Spain does in fact have a reputation for having very good roads with relatively few potholes.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/an...ecome-disgrace

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
While he's totally correct in that bigger wheels will affect acceleration, if you're just going from 17's to 18's it's likely that you wouldn't be able to feel the difference, especially if you're going from a lower quality wheel to a lightweight, high quality wheel.

Also, if you're looking to maybe fit some bigger brakes on there in the future, you may need bigger wheels just for clearance. I'm fairly sure M2 brakes won't fit under 17's.

I guess what i'm saying is that if you like the look of 18-inch wheels, go for it. It's one inch bigger. If you were going for like 20-inch wheels....you might want to think about penalties to acceleration and handling. But 18's? I think you'll be fine.
Yeah, that's why I was still considering the 18" but higher quality and lightweight.

Currently, I have BMW LA Wheel, M Double Spoke 460... I just checked they are about 1700 euro in Europe. I was quite surprised, to be honest, as I thought it would be the most basic BMW rims fitted. So probably if I'd go for some high-quality 18", it would be in the 3k euro region at least, which is kinda too much for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Ok I get that you want to spend money on your car, but these changes are mostly not going to help. Maybe the roads in Spain have no potholes and the bigger wheels will not increase the risk of damage, never been there. Your car has very good brakes, are they causing problems? The sway bar might be helpful, my 230 does understeer. And keeping fresh tires on it will be money well spent.
The roads are ok here mostly, of course, you get potholes sometimes, but yeah, mostly it's just fine. However, I'd be cautious if I'd have some 20" rims.

The brakes ain't causing any problems, but you know we always want something a little bit better. The M brakes look very solid. I'm still trying to figure out if it can be fitted on 220i with 18" rims and if it's worth all the headache and money from the performance side.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
My (admittedly limited) understanding of the situation is that yes, Spain does in fact have a reputation for having very good roads with relatively few potholes.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/an...ecome-disgrace

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:08 PM   #10
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

My BMW
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-05-2021, 01:22 PM   #11
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

I really want to upgrade this small "business" navigation unit to a larger "professional" unit. Mine comes without Apple Carplay even...

BMW Evo NBT ID5 would be around 1200-1400 euro, but I'm definitely going for it.

IF anyone had the experience of upgrading the unit, please share your knowledge!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I actually really like those 17's and of course i'm biased, but I love the blacked out grille look on the 2-series. The whole color scheme works really well with the black roof.

I like the newer i-drive unit that came on my car but i wouldn't say its amazing or anything. Apple CarPlay lags a bit because its wireless. Its still totally usable and all, but that aspect is a little annoying. It also doesn't display Apple CarPlay as a full screen, though i'm pretty sure that's something that can be fixed in the aftermarket.

Anyway, good luck with your planned modifications!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 04:56 AM   #13
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
I actually really like those 17's and of course i'm biased, but I love the blacked out grille look on the 2-series. The whole color scheme works really well with the black roof.

I like the newer i-drive unit that came on my car but i wouldn't say its amazing or anything. Apple CarPlay lags a bit because its wireless. Its still totally usable and all, but that aspect is a little annoying. It also doesn't display Apple CarPlay as a full screen, though i'm pretty sure that's something that can be fixed in the aftermarket.

Anyway, good luck with your planned modifications!
That's why I want to repaint my 17" to glossy black to match the blacked-out grille. Ah yes, and I'm already ordered the "220i" badge in glossy black.

I like these small touches

Thank you Moflow, ill keep my thread running with my progress, maybe someone would find it helpful!
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's why I want to repaint my 17" to glossy black to match the blacked-out grille. Ah yes, and I'm already ordered the "220i" badge in glossy black.

I like these small touches

Thank you Moflow, ill keep my thread running with my progress, maybe someone would find it helpful!
I had 17 inch rims on my Mini Cooper S. I swapped the stock wheels for a set of light Enkei wheels and non run flat tires. I shaved 32 lbs of rolling unsprung weight (8 lbs per wheel and tire). I gained 9 WHP and 9 WTQ with this change and really livened up the handling on my car.

Go to the Tire Rack website and start comparing rims and tires (they list weights for every tire and wheel. I found the Enkei RPF1's to be the lightest and they come in black if you like. Search out the different tries to find the lightest with the best wear rating. I have Conti Extremes on mine (but they are the older version - newer ones weigh 1 lb more. Pirelli has some light weight options that should be a good match to the wheels. If you drop 8 lbs for each tire/wheel, you should get the same results in performance and handling I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
I really want to upgrade this small "business" navigation unit to a larger "professional" unit. Mine comes without Apple Carplay even...
BMW Evo NBT ID5 would be around 1200-1400 euro, but I'm definitely going for it.
IF anyone had the experience of upgrading the unit, please share your knowledge!
Many have gone to the larger screen - check out these sections of the forum for previous discussions. Good luck!

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1253651
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=520
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:36 PM   #16
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
I had 17 inch rims on my Mini Cooper S. I swapped the stock wheels for a set of light Enkei wheels and non run flat tires. I shaved 32 lbs of rolling unsprung weight (8 lbs per wheel and tire). I gained 9 WHP and 9 WTQ with this change and really livened up the handling on my car.

Go to the Tire Rack website and start comparing rims and tires (they list weights for every tire and wheel. I found the Enkei RPF1's to be the lightest and they come in black if you like. Search out the different tries to find the lightest with the best wear rating. I have Conti Extremes on mine (but they are the older version - newer ones weigh 1 lb more. Pirelli has some light weight options that should be a good match to the wheels. If you drop 8 lbs for each tire/wheel, you should get the same results in performance and handling I did.
oh well... there goes my monthly budget... hehe

thank you, USA-RET. I'm going to research on their website!

I'll run the numbers, maybe I'd get the 18" and sell my 17" or leave them as spare (no winter wheels needed since I'm in the south of Spain)

P.S oh... they don't have bmw 220i model in their website it's starts from 230i...

Last edited by TheMadVlad; 01-06-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #17
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Many have gone to the larger screen - check out these sections of the forum for previous discussions. Good luck!

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1253651
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=520
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426
Thank you John,

Tons of useful information...I'm watching youtube videos as well about NBT Evo.

Per my understanding, there is a main unit and the screen. Could it be my main unit is fine and modern (NBT EVO ID 5 or 6)... still trying to figure it out.... I might just buy the bigger screen and it's plug and play scheme basically.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #18
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
oh well... there goes my monthly budget... hehe

thank you, USA-RET. I'm going to research on their website!

I'll run the numbers, maybe I'd get the 18" and sell my 17" or leave them as spare (no winter wheels needed since I'm in the south of Spain)

P.S oh... they don't have bmw 220i model in their website it's starts from 230i...
You will never find a 18" wheel and tire combo that will be lighter than a 17" identical combo (matching same to same). When you up the size you will up the weight.

I have friends that spend hundred$ on a performance part (like a cold air intakes) that will render a modest bump in HP only to swap to heavier wheels and erase that gain. They value looks over performance which is fine if that's what you want.

F1 teams spend thousand$ to get the lightest wheels they can to get a leg up on the competition. McLaren ran Enkei wheels for a few season a while back.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=.+McLaren+...tok%3D9S0vVVOD

I ordered my tire and wheel combo from Tire Rack as a package. When I take delivery of my new Mini, I take the stock wheels/tire off and store them until I'm ready to trade the car in and replace them with my Enkei set.

I could have saved even more weight if I went down to 16" wheels. Personally, I would never spend the money to go bigger unless you go with a CF set (and even then a smaller CF wheel will weigh less that a larger one).

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...rmance.613551/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...really-better/

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...t-people-down/

Although I cannot find the link now, there was test of a Camaro with 3 different wheel/Tire set ups. They dyno'ed the car with the different sets and coincidentally, the tire/wheel set that reduced the unsprung weight by 32 lbs yielded the 9WHP and 9WTQ gains I mentioned earlier. The heavier wheels stole WHP and TQ.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 1
E46ZHP254.00
      01-08-2021, 04:44 AM   #19
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
You will never find a 18" wheel and tire combo that will be lighter than a 17" identical combo (matching same to same). When you up the size you will up the weight.

I have friends that spend hundred$ on a performance part (like a cold air intakes) that will render a modest bump in HP only to swap to heavier wheels and erase that gain. They value looks over performance which is fine if that's what you want.

F1 teams spend thousand$ to get the lightest wheels they can to get a leg up on the competition. McLaren ran Enkei wheels for a few season a while back.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=.+McLaren+...tok%3D9S0vVVOD

I ordered my tire and wheel combo from Tire Rack as a package. When I take delivery of my new Mini, I take the stock wheels/tire off and store them until I'm ready to trade the car in and replace them with my Enkei set.

I could have saved even more weight if I went down to 16" wheels. Personally, I would never spend the money to go bigger unless you go with a CF set (and even then a smaller CF wheel will weigh less that a larger one).

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...rmance.613551/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...really-better/

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/...t-people-down/

Although I cannot find the link now, there was test of a Camaro with 3 different wheel/Tire set ups. They dyno'ed the car with the different sets and coincidentally, the tire/wheel set that reduced the unsprung weight by 32 lbs yielded the 9WHP and 9WTQ gains I mentioned earlier. The heavier wheels stole WHP and TQ.

Just my $.02
Yes, I see what you mean...

I researched, and Enkei's RPF1 would be hard to beat by price/weight ratio.

My current rims, M Double Spoke 460 - are about 22.5 lbs each.

The RPF1 17" - are about 15 lbs per rim, so only rims would save 30 lbs given they are the same size. However, I can't get the RPF1 with 5 x 120 PCD; they don't produce them.

Now, if I want to upgrade my brakes, I'd personally go with a BMW performance brake kit (they do fit f23 220i)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...o/34112450470/

But of course, I'd need 18" rims to fit them up.

So the question is, the performance brake kit is really worth it over my standard brakes?

That leaves me with a few options:

1) Getting Enkei's RPF1 18" 5x120 set and adding the M performance brake kit.

2)Getting lightweight 17" and leave my standard brakes.

3) Repainting my Double Spoke 460 to glossy black to match the car color pattern.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:47 AM   #20
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Meanwhile, my CF lip arrived today!

Going to put it up today or tomorrow!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      01-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #21
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I see what you mean...

I researched, and Enkei's RPF1 would be hard to beat by price/weight ratio.

My current rims, M Double Spoke 460 - are about 22.5 lbs each.

The RPF1 17" - are about 15 lbs per rim, so only rims would save 30 lbs given they are the same size. However, I can't get the RPF1 with 5 x 120 PCD; they don't produce them.

Now, if I want to upgrade my brakes, I'd personally go with a BMW performance brake kit (they do fit f23 220i)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...o/34112450470/

But of course, I'd need 18" rims to fit them up.

So the question is, the performance brake kit is really worth it over my standard brakes?

That leaves me with a few options:

1) Getting Enkei's RPF1 18" 5x120 set and adding the M performance brake kit.

2)Getting lightweight 17" and leave my standard brakes.

3) Repainting my Double Spoke 460 to glossy black to match the car color pattern.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...=Runflat+Tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...unflat%20Tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....=Runflat+Tires

Did a quick search and this is the lightest combo I found in 17" for your car.

Stock BMW wheels are quite heavy in comparison and I would assume the tires on your car are at least 21 lbs each, and probably a bit more. Finding actual weight online can take some time. Tire Rack shows original equipment tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

If your stock tires weigh 21 (they could be 22 or even 24lbs depending on the brand actually on your car) and your wheels 22.5, the tire ( 18lbs) and wheel (16.4lbs) combo above would save you 36 lbs overall (6.1 lbs lighter per wheel and 3lbs lighter per tire). TPMS is a wash and doesn't factor in.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:36 AM   #22
TheMadVlad
Private
Rep

Quote:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...=Runflat+Tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...unflat%20Tires

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....=Runflat+Tires

Did a quick search and this is the lightest combo I found in 17" for your car.

Stock BMW wheels are quite heavy in comparison and I would assume the tires on your car are at least 21 lbs each, and probably a bit more. Finding actual weight online can take some time. Tire Rack shows original equipment tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...inLoadRating=S

If your stock tires weigh 21 (they could be 22 or even 24lbs depending on the brand actually on your car) and your wheels 22.5, the tire ( 18lbs) and wheel (16.4lbs) combo above would save you 36 lbs overall (6.1 lbs lighter per wheel and 3lbs lighter per tire). TPMS is a wash and doesn't factor in.
Thank you USA-RET! After researching about Enkei's RPF1 since they don't produce in 5 x 120 PDC, the O.Z's alleggerita hlt was my second choice!

I'm running Bridgestone Potenza S001 RFT 225/45 R17 91W on the front and Potenza S001 RFT 245/40 R17 91W on the rear.

Potenza S001 RFT 225/45 R17 91W - 24.5 lbs - 10.88 kg
Potenza S001 RFT 245/40 R17 91W - 26 lbs - 11.79 kg

Last edited by TheMadVlad; 01-10-2021 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50