THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics technic add-a sub interfere with updates?

09-03-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

technic add-a sub interfere with updates?

took my 230i to get coded for M performance brakes and they said they had a problem because of the amp I added for the subwoofer. I had an audio shop install it, does this mean they did something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
took my 230i to get coded for M performance brakes and they said they had a problem because of the amp I added for the subwoofer. I had an audio shop install it, does this mean they did something wrong?
Hmmm, i had a similar issue getting an update earlier this year from the dealership. I installed Bavsound Revanant amp. I had to bring in the OEM amp (luckily i saved and didnt sell it!), dealer unhooked the Bavsound and plugged in the OEM so the update would go through. They re-hooked the Bavsound amp after the update.

I'm assuming all you (or they) would need to do is just unplug the subwoofer amp and hook up the OEM amp if you still have it. If you don't have it, apparently there is no workaround according to my dealer. You wont be able to get updates any longer. They didn't give you an explanation? Did you add a 2nd amp for the sub or just replaced the OEM amp?

Last edited by PurpleFunkMan; 09-04-2020 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

I only added an amp for the sub. The factory amp is still in place and I have never read about anyone having an update issue that was caused by the technic add-a-sub connection to a second amp. An audio shop I trust did the work but it was a new guy and I have noticed a few other issues. I guess I should email technic.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #4
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
I only added an amp for the sub. The factory amp is still in place and I have never read about anyone having an update issue that was caused by the technic add-a-sub connection to a second amp. An audio shop I trust did the work but it was a new guy and I have noticed a few other issues. I guess I should email technic.
Wow, weird! I think BMW owes you an explanation though. Pretty lame you can't add another amp and sub and no longer get software updates. I was thinking of getting a separate amp and sub as well. Keep us posted on what happens. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
A dealer will blame aftermarket equipment anytime they perform service that does not work, it does not matter if they are correct or not.

Next time get your car back to OEM before a dealer visit.
Appreciate 0