THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Video: Mid-Ohio

10-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Video: Mid-Ohio

Nothing earth-shaking here; I give myself a B+ on the line and a C for aggressiveness. That's pretty much my MO, as can be seen in videos that I'll post from other tracks that I ran in my race car.

The fastest lap is a few seconds off my best. Despite the suspension and tires, I never did get over the feeling that I was piloting an awfully heavy and not-very-responsive motor vehicle around this handling track.

I ran in Sport+ to keep rev-matching ON. I by far prefer DSC OFF but found the heel-and-toe to be impossible in this car. As a result, at the video's beginning, and again at 1:48 and 3:34, the car basically parks itself while the DSC "helps" me. Just pathetic, really.

-------------------------------------------

Hadn't seen/noticed this before, but youtube is now defaulting to showing videos in standard definition? If that's what you get, once the video's started click on Settings and choose 1080p for HD playback.

Last edited by dradernh; 10-25-2020 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
ggggbmw430.00
Rollo`124.00
      10-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

mid ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Nothing earth-shaking here; I give myself a B+ on the line and a C for aggressiveness. That's pretty much my MO, as can be seen in videos that I'll post from other tracks that I ran in my race car.

The fastest lap is a few seconds off my best. Despite the suspension and tires, I never did get over the feeling that I was piloting an awfully heavy and not-very-responsive motor vehicle around this handling track.

I ran in Sport+ to keep rev-matching ON. I by far prefer DSC OFF but found the heel-and-toe to be impossible in this car. As a result, at the video's beginning, and again at 1:48 and 3:34, the car basically parks itself while the DSC "helps" me. Just pathetic, really.

-------------------------------------------

Hadn't seen/noticed this before, but youtube is now defaulting to showing videos in standard definition? If that's what you get, once the video's started click on Settings and choose 1080p for HD playback.

nice video. I live in Shaker Heights and have done Mid Ohio a handful of times with my 230i. Who were you with to get track time? I've been doing Autointerests. Good organization.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
nice video. I live in Shaker Heights and have done Mid Ohio a handful of times with my 230i. Who were you with to get track time? I've been doing Autointerests. Good organization.
Thanks.

I've almost always run with marque or time trial clubs; at Mid-O, they've been:

BMWCCA's Buckeye Chapter, which has a mid-August event each year: http://buckeyebmwcca.org/; and,

PCA's Ohio Valley Region Chapter, with mid-June and mid-October events: http://ovrpca.org/.

I don't know about other clubs, but both those allow every driver a shot at one of the garages. That was a definite plus as far as I was concerned. They're both very friendly and low-key outfits, with quite a few drivers coming to all three of the events.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Great to see those back straight speeds. Nice video.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00