THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Clonk turning wheel right low speed over a bump

10-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Clonk turning wheel right low speed over a bump

Recently I had Bilstein B14 installed in my car. After installing it I didnīt notice any strange noise.

I went to a track day and returning home I started to hear a clonk noise when I turned the wheel to the right (almost maximum turning). For reproducing the noise I had to turn left the steering like half of the travel and then turning right again. I could reproduce it even stopped.

Then, driving with the car in the city, I realized that when the clonck happened, I feel something in the brake pedal and if I brake while turning the wheel, it didnt sound. After pressing the brake hard several times, it seemed that the sound dissapeared.

But the thing is that now I am not able to reproduce it stopped or driving in the city EXCEPT when, at a low speed, I turn right wheel (almost maximum turning, like when I heard it first time) and I go over a bump or uneven surface.

Unfortunately for exiting my parking place I have to turn left and then turn right in an incline so I hear it every day and its a bit annoying.

Other than that the car is OK and normal driving I donīt hear anything, but first time in the morning or when I come back the clonck is there so I guess there is something wrong.

Any advice?

Just to give some more info, I had installed M4 LCA+TS less than a year ago and they didnt do any noise and are almost new.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbdeed View Post
Recently I had Bilstein B14 installed in my car. After installing it I didn´t notice any strange noise.

I went to a track day and returning home I started to hear a clonk noise when I turned the wheel to the right (almost maximum turning). For reproducing the noise I had to turn left the steering like half of the travel and then turning right again. I could reproduce it even stopped.

Then, driving with the car in the city, I realized that when the clonck happened, I feel something in the brake pedal and if I brake while turning the wheel, it didnt sound. After pressing the brake hard several times, it seemed that the sound dissapeared.

But the thing is that now I am not able to reproduce it stopped or driving in the city EXCEPT when, at a low speed, I turn right wheel (almost maximum turning, like when I heard it first time) and I go over a bump or uneven surface.

Unfortunately for exiting my parking place I have to turn left and then turn right in an incline so I hear it every day and its a bit annoying.

Other than that the car is OK and normal driving I don´t hear anything, but first time in the morning or when I come back the clonck is there so I guess there is something wrong.

Any advice?

Just to give some more info, I had installed M4 LCA+TS less than a year ago and they didnt do any noise and are almost new.
I'm not sure this is the same, but there are several threads on steering wheel clunk

Three Years Later: Steering Rack Clunk Fixed for $70 https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1762974
      10-10-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

I went to the garage which installed B14 and they checked joints, silenblocks, suspension mount, retorqued bolts, etc. They say they didnt find any loose part but I still hear the clonk.

Iīm a bit obsessed with this kind of things...so Iīve just went to drive the car and trying to identify steps to reproduce the noise.

Not always was able to reproduce it but I found a pattern when I could. I had to almost full turn left, then full turn right and then forward or reverse, slow with a bump, it appeared. I hear it from the front left side of the car.

But for example, if I hear the clonk going reverse, with same steering input, going forward over the same bump doesnt reproduce the noise. And trying to going reverse again neither.

I had to, for example, going reverse (clonk), same input, going forward (nothing). Stop, turn left, turn right, going reverse (clonk).

So it seems that something has to be "reset" to a position.

I think it is important to keep in mind that first time noise appeared it was after a track day and it did the clonk even stopped, just turning wheel (first left, then right). Now it only does it in the case I described before, slow over bump.

What is your opinion? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #4
joeduquette
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I had a clunking coming from the right strut area that sounded similar to what you describe. It would always clunk when at full turn and reversing. Could feel the clunk inside but wasn’t very audible outside the car. Replaced the strut mount on the right side and that fixed it. Apparently these tend to fail on our cars.
Appreciate 0