THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Covid Food

01-24-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Covid Food

In these times I find myself getting takeout food more often so it seems like a good time to ask. How do you manage the food in the car? There are three types of packaging.

Fast food (McDonalds etc) comes in thru the window. This is easy since it comes in bags that don't spill. It can be placed anywhere.

Pizza, in my car it goes on the passenger side on the floor. It never falls off the floor.

Restaurant food (Chinese etc) comes in a plastic bag and is messy if it turns over. It travels well on the floor in the back seat since there is not a lot of legroom. But it often comes in thru the window which means getting out to put it in the back. It can be put on the floor in front but is easily tipped over. Any good ideas for this?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Get what you want and just get out of
the car to reposition the packages securely.
Surely good restaurant food and your car’s interior are both worth that small effort.
Appreciate 1
harma24402.50
      01-24-2021, 08:58 AM   #3
Rick.Null
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
In these times I find myself getting takeout food more often so it seems like a good time to ask. How do you manage the food in the car? There are three types of packaging.

Fast food (McDonalds etc) comes in thru the window. This is easy since it comes in bags that don't spill. It can be placed anywhere.

Pizza, in my car it goes on the passenger side on the floor. It never falls off the floor.

Restaurant food (Chinese etc) comes in a plastic bag and is messy if it turns over. It travels well on the floor in the back seat since there is not a lot of legroom. But it often comes in thru the window which means getting out to put it in the back. It can be put on the floor in front but is easily tipped over. Any good ideas for this?
Get one of those folding crates for the boot, and stuff your food in it.

Pizza in the boot as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.Null View Post
Get one of those folding crates for the boot, and stuff your food in it.

Pizza in the boot as well.
We do the same, but go even further. I have one of those heavier duty paper bags saved from a high end restaurant...glossy exterior and all. I hold the bag open by the rope handles out of the car window at their drive-through window for them to put their bag and my credit card inside. Don't want to contact the bag or card before I then have to touch all the stuff inside my car to drive. Food arrives home and my hands have not "gone viral". For pizza, I tear off two paper towels before leaving home, accept the pizza box with one piece of towel in each hand, and place in trunk (although I use my 3GT hatchback for this). For take-out where you go inside to get it, have them drop it in your bag, put your bag in the folding crate, and you carry the folding crate to your kitchen. No cross contamination anywhere along the way!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #5
Finn Germai-Yaz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

is a thread really necessary for this topic? I keep a small book in the car so when i put something flat like a pizza box on the front seat it stays at a 180 degree angle.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawfoo View Post
is a thread really necessary for this topic?
That's the wonderful thing about these threads...no charge for reading or skipping past, and no electrons were harmed or destroyed in the process!

BTW, I wouldn't be handling those pizza boxes bare handed and then touch steering wheel, gearshift, etc. without an interior wipedown again at home.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #7
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Fast food: if I'm picking it up, it's because I'm on a long roadtrip and don't want to stop for any long duration to eat. That stays on my lap for 2 minutes while I eat in the parking lot, then in the trash before I drive off.

Pizza boxes: on the passengers seat (or lap, if there happens to be someone sitting in there). But the pizza place is 0.5mi/2 turns from my house; I/we usually pick up pizza on the way home from somewhere, so the just over 1 minute ride home has never been an issue.

Restaurant food: on the floor of the rear seats. The front seat is usually in a good position to hold the food secure and upright, and if it's too loose behind the drivers seat, I'll throw it behind the passengers seat and adjust it as necessary.

Damnit, now I want take-out for dinner tonight.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #8
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Oh geez. I just set it on the passenger seat and drive home. Nothing bad has ever happened.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

My COVID food? Ayinger Celebrator doppelboch bier!
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #10
TwoTonic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Bring a passenger and let them hold it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

We just eat at the restaurant and live on the wild side.
Appreciate 3
makrop150.00
      01-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #12
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
All I understood was double boch beer. And I'm all for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Please no, not right now. Take-out to support local businesses absolutely, but there's no need to be hanging out in restaurants with your mask off with a bunch of other people with their masks off. My wife works in an ED; I can't tell you how many people she sees who got COVID within a week of dining out at a restaurant. I design mechanical systems and I can tell you from experience that most restaurants / developers VE the crap out of what we design and go with the cheapest system with terrible ventilation and operators who have no clue how to operate the system as designed. I would not go anywhere near a restaurant without an N95, even if my life depended on it. And don't kid yourself; your life might depend on it if you decide to dine out right now.

Last edited by harma24; 01-24-2021 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 08:41 PM   #13
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

My wife and I have dined out many times without getting sick. Our local restaurants have been great at taking and implementing sensible precautions.

Last edited by leftoverture; 01-25-2021 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:19 AM   #14
Rick.Null
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
All I understood was double boch beer. And I'm all for it!

Quote:
Please no, not right now. Take-out to support local businesses absolutely, but there's no need to be hanging out in restaurants with your mask off with a bunch of other people with their masks off. My wife works in an ED; I can't tell you how many people she sees who got COVID within a week of dining out at a restaurant. I design mechanical systems and I can tell you from experience that most restaurants / developers VE the crap out of what we design and go with the cheapest system with terrible ventilation and operators who have no clue how to operate the system as designed. I would not go anywhere near a restaurant without an N95, even if my life depended on it. And don't kid yourself; your life might depend on it if you decide to dine out right now.
Well seems like State Governors don't agree with your paranoia. Things are opening up everywhere. Must be the fortuitous post election timing.

Anyway, good for you.

Sportstick I love your protocols around dealing with take out food. I would say that getting latex gloves and keeping a box handy will make things easier by the way, when did you get a GT3? What year?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #15
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
My wife and I have dined out many times without getting sick. Our local restaurants have been great at taking and implementing sensible precautions.
Man, no wonder the US has had 419,000 people dying of Covid. Almost as bad as our Chancellor's ingenious 'Eat Out to Help Out' subsidy and subsequent highest death rate per capita in the World.
harma24402.50
      01-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.Null View Post

Sportstick I love your protocols around dealing with take out food. I would say that getting latex gloves and keeping a box handy will make things easier by the way, when did you get a GT3? What year?
I hope it's not disappointing to clarify that I have a 3GT and not a GT3...not a Porsche, but a 3 Series Gran Touring, thus the abbreviation with the number first, which is the exceedingly more practical of my two BMWs and serves as our "family car".

I keep a couple of boxes of nitrile gloves "handy", but given how hard they were to find to a while, I save some of them for the gas station and developed the pizza box alternative of using two tear-offs of paper towels (easier to find than gloves, even in the shortage days!), one in each hand as the pizza box is handed to me. I leave the paper essentially wrapping a bit on each side when placed in the hatch/cargo area, and remove the box at home using them as well. I can elbow the door lever from the garage, so that gets me into the kitchen with "non viral" hands where my wife serves the pizza from the box interior without contacting the exterior. I can then dispose of the box out to the recycling bin and wash my hands without having to retrace my steps to wipe down everything I might have otherwise touched in the car and house. I don't think the steering wheel leather likes the hand sanitizer.

How's that for a protocol!?!?!? You should see our process for wiping down the grocery delivery....not the deliverer (although not sure she'd object!), but just the items!!

We've got the first vaccine shot in and looking forward to the second. This matters to us as I told my wife that if I ever was put on a ventilator, I doubt I'd ever come off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

You guys are wasting your time and money wiping everything down. It's well known now that getting COVID from surfaces is extremely rare and unlikely. Data suggests that all these sanitizers are also being ingested and leading to reactions.

You should wash your hands regularly, especially after going in public and before eating or touching your face. This is common sense stuff and things people should have been doing prior to COVID.
      01-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #18
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
Man, no wonder the US has had 419,000 people dying of Covid. Almost as bad as our Chancellor's ingenious 'Eat Out to Help Out' subsidy and subsequent highest death rate per capita in the World.
I see that you're from the UK. The UK has a far higher death rate per 100K than the US. Italy and Belgium as well. Remember, the US is a country of 325M+ people. We're also a country of 50 states; those states largely operating independently as they've always done per our Constitution and essentially operates like European Union. Many counties in the EU are now learning that the lock downs were not effective and only prolonged the inevitable. You can close the door on COVID, but when you need to open it back up, it's there, waiting for you.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-25-2021 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
I'm an extremely healthy 46 y/o. Same goes for my wife and 12 y/o daughter and 16 y/o son. We don't get sick. My kids have never had the flu or fever that's lasted longer than a couple days. We eat right and have very healthy BMIs.

As long as we are permitted to visit restaurants, we will continue to do so. I'm an environmental consultant and work largely in the health and safety side. In US, well over 40% of the deaths are in nursing homes which is a terrible tragedy and will require revamping of a very broken system. The vast majority of other deaths (95%+) in the US are of those 70 and older and those in generally poor health. If you fit into this category, you really should hunker down and sit this out until the vaccine is available to you. You should not be venturing into public and hanging out with people unless absolutely necessary.
      01-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You guys are wasting your time and money wiping everything down. It's well known now that getting COVID from surfaces is extremely rare and unlikely. Data suggests that all these sanitizers are also being ingested and leading to reactions.
Time and money is of little concern if reducing ANY further risk. Every point of risk shaved off is worthwhile, considering the alternatives. No untoward reactions to sanitizers noted here so far.

As to risk calculation, ever had a house burn down? Still have homeowners insurance for fire? Of course, because the low frequency/high damage potential is worth the risk management expense.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm an extremely healthy 46 y/o. Same goes for my wife and 12 y/o daughter and 16 y/o son. We don't get sick. My kids have never had the flu or fever that's lasted longer than a couple days. We eat right and have very healthy BMIs.
The very previously-healthy 22 year old in our extended family would have fit that same description had he survived COVID and the apparent "cytokinen storm" that resulted in his early loss. Those characteristics you list are not relevant to the chance of this outcome.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7527296/
Appreciate 1
harma24402.50
      01-25-2021, 11:43 AM   #22
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
The vast majority of other deaths (95%+) in the US are of those 70 and older and those in generally poor health. If you fit into this category, you really should hunker down and sit this out until the vaccine is available to you. You should not be venturing into public and hanging out with people unless absolutely necessary.
My wife and I are over 70, so we've been following the advice in your last sentence since late last March. Fortunately, doing so has made little difference to us.

We're in good health and reasonably fit, so we can imagine that we might survive a case of Covid-19. What concerns us just as much, however, are the accounts of the 'long-haulers' like this physician: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/w...ng-hauler.html, and these young people: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/22/w...ng-hauler.html.

Despite not knowing the number or percentage of 'long-haulers' that are out there (data that may take years to assemble), our takeaway is that this disease is to be avoided at all costs, no matter who you are.

Last edited by dradernh; 01-25-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0