THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Michelin AS4 or GY Exhilarate

12-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #23
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Got the AS4s on this week. Haven't taken any pictures yet (and I'm not sure that there is really anything to see), but I am VERY pleased. I'm quite surprised how well they corner. I can't say I won't get a set of summer wheels for warmer weather, but I'm glad for my decision to get the AS4s for the cooler weather. Wow.

I'm glad you liked the AS4. Perhaps I was too picky about the hard ride and steering feel. But the fact that my shop could not balance them was the deal killer. Michelin even offered for me to keep the tires and give me my money back. I turned them down as I'm not driving with unbalanced wheels.

I went with the Goodyear Exhilarate. Like the AS4 I find very little compromise leaving the Super Sports. My steering feel is better than the AS4 and grip is fantastic, just like the AS4. Balance on the GY is fine. They do flat spot a bit more. But I found running a pound or two high negates most of that.

My only complaint about the GY is that there is more road noise. Not so much tread block roar but noise due to road surface. If I take the car out on a newly paved back road near me, they are quiet. But more coarse surfaces (like most roads) there is some noise. The AS4 had none of this noise in my opinion. If the AS4 is a 10 for noise. The Super Sports are a 9, Goodyear 7.5. Subjective of course.

I have a plan for when the warmer weather comes to add some noise dampening material to the wheel wells where BMW decided not to treat the metal. I think that will knock it down a bit.

Overall though, I'm happy and sticking with the Goodyear.
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc511.50