THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum recommended reliability mod - new

05-16-2023, 01:29 PM   #1
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I upgraded my charge pipe to a vrsf and I’m doing so I highly recommend some other mods to avoid the shit show I went through

The screw for my intercooler broke and to replace the support bracket it I had to remove: trans cooler, rad, oil cooler and move the condenser

Believe me, it was hell, I had to remove 12 quick disconnect hoses that were anything but quick disconnect.

There was only a N20 video showing you can move the trans cooler aside, for the N55 you can not. I ended up damaging the fins in my rad, I’m glad I did as I put a new rad in.

Okay so what I am getting at, if you puncture your ac condenser or oil cooler you are in for a lot of work. I recommend you add a mesh to the front grills. For the bottom I attached black plastic 1/4” mesh on the outside of the grills used for gutters, you can’t tell it’s there. I used the same mesh for the oil and water coolers

For the main kidney grills I removed the kidneys and attached a steel mesh to the bracing bars, because the mesh is behind the grill and wide the steel looks good.

Curious if anyone had to change a condenser or even radiator. The radiator alone is a pain to remove but not nearly as difficult as the condenser
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-16-2023, 02:39 PM   #2
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

That sounds awful and thanks for sharing the experience. When I swapped out my chargepipe to an aftermarket one I was real cautious. All because I punched a hole in a radiator on an old car when doing some work. It was the worst.
mecheng771006.00
      05-16-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
That sounds awful and thanks for sharing the experience. When I swapped out my chargepipe to an aftermarket one I was real cautious. All because I punched a hole in a radiator on an old car when doing some work. It was the worst.
Ya the screw was rusted, I put liquid wrench and waited but it was hard to penetrate the threads having no access to the top and the screw is weak. One pull of my small 1/4” ratchet and it snapped

Next time I might try my Rigid 1/4” impact driver, the vibrations might help
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan2022.50