THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) DDamaged the bumper of my new 2023 M3

04-30-2023, 05:07 PM   #1
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

DDamaged the bumper of my new 2023 M3

I litteraly have not caused damage to one of my cars in over 20yrs.. and just in the last two weeks of driving this M3, I’ve done one inch of curb rash on a rear wheel and now about an inch of damage on the front bumper.

I was pulling into my garage at a weird angle and scuffed the protruding crease area against the trim siding. After removing the paint transfer this is what I’m left with.

I’ve touched up chips myself in the past but this is bigger than a normal tiny chip and it’s right on the crease. There are a million body shops and dent repair places around… I’m trying to determine which ones to go to for opinions and if I should suggest a certain technique to fix it.

Have any of you faced this? What’s your advice on how to balance a least invasive and best quality repair?

I have an appointment for ceramic coat in a couple weeks and hope that that will help extend the longevity of repair.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 06:27 PM   #2
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
First.... Since we don't know you, blame your spouse. They won't know and neither will we.
With that said, my "wife" curbed my Cayman damaging the wheel and front bumper.
The PPF helped minimize the bumper damage, but I still need to get the PPF replaced and probably some scratches touched up.

As for the paint damage, there's a ton of videos online on co-op repair. I'd just do it myself.
15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 8
IanMan382.50
Patton2502936.50
JDMSteven463.00
HondaRC51242.00
Vivek.1363.50
      04-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #3
IanMan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
First.... Since we don't know you, blame your spouse. They won't know and neither will we.

'Rah
Appreciate 1
diirk1030.00
      04-30-2023, 09:01 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Similar story with our new X5: within the first 1,000 miles, someone had purposefully slammed their door into the driver's side. Then, my sweet daughter swung open the door of my wife's car and dented the other side.

My unpopular opinion? Leave it as-is and learn to live with it. I did and I'm glad I didn't spend a penny repairing it. Because the second I do, something else will happen.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2023, 09:13 PM   #5
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Similar story with our new X5: within the first 1,000 miles, someone had purposefully slammed their door into the driver's side. Then, my sweet daughter swung open the door of my wife's car and dented the other side.

My unpopular opinion? Leave it as-is and learn to live with it. I did and I'm glad I didn't spend a penny repairing it. Because the second I do, something else will happen.
I would consider that but I’m taking it in for a scheduled ceramic coat appointment soon and I’d hate to coat over that.. would rather try to fix it and then coat.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 09:34 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbmwe46 View Post
I would consider that but I’m taking it in for a scheduled ceramic coat appointment soon and I’d hate to coat over that.. would rather try to fix it and then coat.
Can I ask why? It's just a ceramic coating. It's not like you're having PPF applied over it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2023, 10:27 PM   #7
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Can I ask why? It's just a ceramic coating. It's not like you're having PPF applied over it.
Ceramic coatings, or newer graphene coatings (longer lasting protection) are well north of $1,000. Why coat something that is damaged? Fix, then coat, and be happy
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2023, 11:11 PM   #8
a5m
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Doesn't everyone love Dr. ColorChip around here? That's what I'd do. Otherwise you're looking at a respray of the whole bumper which would be a no-go for me.
Appreciate 1
DocL1922.50
      04-30-2023, 11:35 PM   #9
AWDtoRWD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23' R1S & 21' M2C

relax, touch it up. but then don't touch it

change whatever appt you had
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2023, 05:11 PM   #10
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Touched it up. Will have the detailer polish it as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
all8up91.50
P111541.50
Vivek.1363.50
      05-10-2023, 05:26 PM   #11
mencio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M (F95) LCI

Nice job! Can't really tell from any of the pictures, except the last one So I guess it passes the ~3feet test, you might be happy with it. A polish might make it even more seamless so I would just forget about it and just don't look close when washing the car
      05-10-2023, 05:27 PM   #12
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I would have used Dr. Colorchip on that. It would have smoothed and filled in the gouges. Did you use a BMW touch up pen?
      05-10-2023, 05:30 PM   #13
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I would have used Dr. Colorchip on that. It would have smoothed and filled in the gouges. Did you use a BMW touch up pen?
I did 3 coats of paint with a microsponge tip brush and 3 coats of clear. I’m skeptical of dr color chip because it doesn’t use clear. How long does it actually last and would it really do any better of a job? Can I try dr colorchip over top of this since I still have very slight low spots?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 05:34 PM   #14
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I did 3 coats of paint with a microsponge tip brush and 3 coats of clear. I’m skeptical of dr color chip because it doesn’t use clear. How long does it actually last and would it really do any better of a job? Can I try dr colorchip over top of this since I still have very slight low spots?
Dr. Colorchip is a marvel for those kinds of chips. Its like a gel paint that dries smooth and glossy. Its like nothing I have ever used before.

You kind of finger it in smooth and no joke, it dries exactly like it was stock. I dont know how. But I after using it once. I will never go back anything else. Airbrush fix would be my 2nd choice.

Get some and try it! That or have a PDR bumper guy air brush yours back to normal. Them air brush wheel and bumper guys can match anything these days.

I meant no offense to your work BTW. I just noticed the gouges and thought to myself, Dr. Colorchip fills and smooths those out unlike paint pens which just color the chip, but dont FILL it.
      05-10-2023, 05:50 PM   #15
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Dr. Colorchip is a marvel for those kinds of chips. Its like a gel paint that dries smooth and glossy. Its like nothing I have ever used before.

You kind of finger it in smooth and no joke, it dries exactly like it was stock. I dont know how. But I after using it once. I will never go back anything else buy that or an air brush fix.

Get some and try it! That or have a PDR bumper guy air brush yours back to normal. Them air brush wheel and bumper guys can match anything these days.
Thanks! How quick does it dry. I think I’ll have my detail guy level this current touch up out as best he can and I’ll just not have him ceramic coat that exact area then I’ll see how it looks. If it seems there are still low spots I’ll get the dr color chip and try that to build it up to level. If it looks like crap tho.. like when you touch or squeeze at a pimple too much, haha, then I’ll hopefully be able to wipe it off immediately. If it looks good I’ll let it dry and lock it in with ceramic coat over that spot.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #16
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Thanks! How quick does it dry. I think I’ll have my detail guy level this current touch up out as best he can and I’ll just not have him ceramic coat that exact area then I’ll see how it looks. If it seems there are still low spots I’ll get the dr color chip and try that to build it up to level. If it looks like crap tho.. like when you touch or squeeze at a pimple too much, haha, then I’ll hopefully be able to wipe it off immediately. If it looks good I’ll let it dry and lock it in with ceramic coat over that spot.
It dries pretty quick. I assume 15-20 mins and its set good enough.

Im not trying to scare you. But I ceramic coated my 1st alll black G80 M3. I went to a very well known shop. In fact they do certification training classes for GTEK products.

Anyhow, I had my mint G80 m3 done by them and it came back with a paint chip the size of a pea on my front bumper around the grill. TOTALLY noticeable. And my carbon roof had milky looking spots in the weave in certain lighting.

I did not have a pea sized chip at drop off and he coated over the chip. When I asked him why he didnt tell me about the chip before coating over it, he said he could just buff the coating off, fix the chip and put it back. More on that next...

In regards to my carbon roof looking milky in spots in certain light. The shop blamed my roof and said it was delaminating...lol. Brand new car. He could not stop telling me it was factory defect. He tried buffing them out and nothing he threw at it would remove the milky blotches OR the coating! That coating was going NOWHERE. And this guy certifies people to do this for all the west coast! And he does have a big cliental of nicer cars than mine coming in and out all day. I dont get why my experienced sucked ass.

I took it to a BMW authorized body shop that has done many carbon roof reinstalls said it was NOT defective and that it was clearly a chemical reaction that got inside the clear coat. They also told me that the carbon fiber roof on the G series M cars is NOT from the same people that did it for BMW on the F series. He told me its a completely different process. I dont know what that means. But he keep stressing that its a new roof from new company and its not made the same way it was before.

So I could not touch up my chip with ceramic coating. It would not buff off. And my roof turned milky white in some spots.

I also took it to every high end paint correction/ceramic shop near me and they where ALL perplexed. They all suspected it was a chemical reaction. It was not buffer burned persay and it was not "build up" either.

If I where to do this again, I would NOT let them coat my roof. I would not let them coat over any blemishes. Nor would I do everything but that area, and then add more later. You want that stuff put on all at once as far as Im concerned.

ALSO, there are MANY members here who have fully ceramic coated there car including the roof. I have not seen anyone mention an issue like mine. So I dont realy know what to think. Did the installer do it? Did the Gtek ceramic coating chemical do it? Was it like that and ceramic coating made it show up more? Beats me. I gave up and traded it in for an X drive.

I DO miss having it on my paint and wheels though. OMG. That stuff makes car washes SO much easier. But I would wait until your chip is repaired and I would make it a point to ask about what product you are using and will it affect my carbon roof. I was using GTEK.

Good luck man!

This is how mine ended up looking like. Notice the milky white lines long the top?

Around the edges too

Last edited by BIGW0RM; 05-10-2023 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 06:42 PM   #17
fanofbmwe46
Major
Rep

Quote:
It dries pretty quick. I assume 15-20 mins and its set good enough.

Im not trying to scare you. But I ceramic coated my 1st alll black G80 M3. I went to a very well known shop. In fact they do certification training classes for GTEK products.

Anyhow, I had my mint G80 m3 done by them and it came back with a paint chip the size of a pea on my front bumper around the grill. TOTALLY noticeable. And my carbon roof had milky looking spots in the weave in certain lighting.

I did not have a pea sized chip at drop off and he coated over the chip. When I asked him why he didnt tell me about the chip before coating over it, he said he could just buff the coating off, fix the chip and put it back. More on that next...

In regards to my carbon roof looking milky in spots in certain light. The shop blamed my roof and said it was delaminating...lol. Brand new car. He could not stop telling me it was factory defect. He tried buffing them out and nothing he threw at it would remove the milky blotches OR the coating! That coating was going NOWHERE. And this guy certifies people to do this for all the west coast! And he does have a big cliental of nicer cars than mine coming in and out all day. I dont get why my experienced sucked ass.

I took it to a BMW authorized body shop that has done many carbon roof reinstalls said it was NOT defective and that it was clearly a chemical reaction that got inside the clear coat. They also told me that the carbon fiber roof on the G series M cars is NOT from the same people that did it for BMW on the F series. He told me its a completely [...]
Wow, wild story. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I know the detailer I’m using personally. He’s done two other cars of mine and had great experience with both. He also owns an M3, a prior gen, with carbon roof. I will definitely tell him about your experience though and discuss potentially not coating the roof and yes, not coating the touch up spot.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 07:02 PM   #18
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Wow, wild story. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I know the detailer I’m using personally. He’s done two other cars of mine and had great experience with both. He also owns an M3, a prior gen, with carbon roof. I will definitely tell him about your experience though and discuss potentially not coating the roof and yes, not coating the touch up spot.
I knew mine too! Very well. We dont talk anymore now.

Best of luck dude. Get some of that dr. color chip!
      05-10-2023, 10:35 PM   #19
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Hello OP,
I've never used Dr. Color Chip, which is very popular, but it's still just touch up paint!

If it were me and I had a brand new 2023 M3 which I expected to apply a ceramic coat to; I'd paint and clear the entire bumper being able to myself. The images are of our 2007 which I painted a few years ago, in giving it to our daughter for college. Otherwise, I'd take it to the Dealership and have them paint and clear the entire bumper.

Does your insurance not cover this? I hate to be a party-pooper, but why would you spend $80,000.00 on a brand new vehicle and then skimp on making a proper repair? Especially if you are going to have it ceramic coated?

*The best method would be to re-paint the entire bumper and then re-clear.

*The second best method would be to paint the damaged area alone (blend) and then re-clear the entire bumper. The painter has to be highly qualified to blend paint in this method though, so you need to be clear on expectations. I doubt the cost would be much better than the first method though.

*Some may suggest blending both the paint and clear for additional cost savings. You can to that but it will be of lesser quality than the above.

*The cheapest would be to buy some touch up paint and touch it up. If you're fine with that and can live with it, then continue as you've started. It'll never be perfect but you can make it look good.

You asked for opinions, so I'm just offering mine. It really comes down to your expectations and desires.

Good luck,
Ralph
Attached Images

Last edited by Ralph III; 05-11-2023 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 09:27 AM   #20
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:

Paintless dent removal
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 12:10 PM   #21
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Hello,

What about those guys with vans that have onboard airbrushes and can mix to match nearly perfectly any color? I've seen these guys in the pre-owned lots of BMW and other high-end car lots. They can very precisely air-brush an area with just a few millimeters of coverage and even add a clear coat. They use special fast-drying paints and will use a special polish to blend them perfectly.

The guy I talked with at the dealer said they usually focus only on dealers since they can do high volume .vs one-off customers in the field. But still, they will do the work. It is not cheap, but the work I saw done looked near perfect, he said it's the best route especially if you are adding PPF.

But, he did say in 10 years when you remove the old film, it's likely the areas he repaired will 'pull off' - but hey, that's 10 years away before you need to change the PPF. Keep in mind the process is really specific to very small areas, just like what the OP had. The guy said it costs about $300-700 depending on how long it takes.

Cheers,
Merlin

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0