THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Upgrade priorities

05-12-2021, 11:32 PM   #1
Catbacker
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Upgrade priorities

First time BMW owner. Love my 2015 M235i! I made the mistake of letting my wife drive it. Now she wants a sedan. Which model is a question for a different day and probably a different forum. My question, is with two boys in college, I need to prioritize and maximize my upgrade dollars. My car is completely stock with 38K miles. What upgrades do you guys recommend to 1: Protect the car and 2: Best prepare it for tuning? From the reading I've done and what little knowledge I have, these seem to be a few things I should do.

1. Replace charge pipe.
2. Replace intercooler. You have to drop the intercooler to change the charge pipe so you might as do both at the same time.
3. Change down pipe. Not thinking catless. Thinking high-flow.
4. BM3 or similar tune. Starting out Stage 1 91 octane.
5. Air intake.
6. Suspension upgrades.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

1. Tell the boys to get a job

2. Go catless, it's less money and more power. The tune will take care of the code it causes.

3. Go straight to stage 2 with those mods. Otherwise you're just throwing money out the window when you have to pay for the additional tune later.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Welcome to the Forum!

Good list, for the Air Intake, get a drop in like K&N or AFE. If you're going with the FMIC, CP and DP, that will take you to Stage 2 bm3, which now will let you load multiple maps and you can switch between them!

I haven't done any suspension mods yet, so someone else can chime in on that.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
Catbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
1. Tell the boys to get a job

2. Go catless, it's less money and more power. The tune will take care of the code it causes.

3. Go straight to stage 2 with those mods. Otherwise you're just throwing money out the window when you have to pay for the additional tune later.

Since I am Catbacker, I can't in good conscience go catless...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #5
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I have a cat, he doesn't mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 03:14 AM   #6
Boostleak235
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Save $$ for now on intake, and simply get K&N filter + AFE scoop. Put difference into replacing all the plumbing down there while replacing intercooler. Turbo inlet / charge-pipe / turbo outlet. Just go with the catless, as BM3 takes care of that. Then tell the kids Holidays aren't happening, and order LSD. There's more gains with catless downpipe + stock mid-pipe + stock axle-back than with high flow catted downpipe + aftermarket mid-pipe + aftermarket axel-back. Mid-pipe + Axle-back is probably your worst power per $$$. Great for end of build when you're shining it up, and putting a bow on top.

Last edited by Boostleak235; 05-14-2021 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #7
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

While the intake isn't going to get you a ton of power gains the sound difference alone is well worth it. In fact, I'd say that it should be your first mod. That is if you love the pssssssshhh sound like I do. Letting off the throttle still makes me grin. I also went with an exhaust first. Obviously I'm more about sound than power. Now that my warranty is up (and covid is kinda sorta behind us) I'm getting to the rest of the bolt-ons. High flow cat, CP, IC, and piping.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
Boostleak235
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
While the intake isn't going to get you a ton of power gains the sound difference alone is well worth it. In fact, I'd say that it should be your first mod. That is if you love the pssssssshhh sound like I do. Letting off the throttle still makes me grin. I also went with an exhaust first. Obviously I'm more about sound than power. Now that my warranty is up (and covid is kinda sorta behind us) I'm getting to the rest of the bolt-ons. High flow cat, CP, IC, and piping.
Completely understand. BM3 cables on the way for me. Already had K&N filter + scoop. Ordering DP and CP in couple weeks. Probably testing my luck with BM3 stage 1 on stock chargepipe. Already broke one of those stock while still under warranty. Wait for CSF intercooler to go on sale again, and get rest of piping then. Once you get to FBO Stage II, time to invest in LSD unless you're xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
Tomskeed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Aftermarket Charge Pipe before anything else; most people crack the stock CP even at factory boost levels. I did what you're considering, and swapped out the intercooler while I did the CP. 2 years of a Stage 2 BM3 tune and they're still holding strong.

While it's not a mod, you should buy a new coolant line for when the expansion tank line cracks. These are notorious for breaking around 40,000+ miles. $30 for piece of mind and not being stranded seems more than worth it.
      05-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #10
Catbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomskeed View Post
Aftermarket Charge Pipe before anything else; most people crack the stock CP even at factory boost levels. I did what you're considering, and swapped out the intercooler while I did the CP. 2 years of a Stage 2 BM3 tune and they're still holding strong.

While it's not a mod, you should buy a new coolant line for when the expansion tank line cracks. These are notorious for breaking around 40,000+ miles. $30 for piece of mind and not being stranded seems more than worth it.
Thanks for the input! Particularly about the coolant line. I'm about at 39K now.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

If you're ever in Kansas City, look me up. I've done the following to my 2016 M235 6MT:

- MP LSD (this should be very high on your list)
- Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback
- HJS Euro 6 catted downpipe
- FTP charge pipe
- MPPK/M2 lower airbox
- MP exhaust
- Wagner EVO I Competition intercooler
- Dinan lowering springs and lift spacers (springs on the rear axle only)
- Bilstein B6 Damptronic shocks on the rear axle only
- 245/35R18 square tire setup with wheels
- MP interior and exterior goodies
- Speaker replacements

Maintenance done by myself over the years (car has 50K):

- Oil changes every 5K
- Coolant hose replacement
- Spark plugs
- Belt tensioner and belt replacement
- Cabin and engine filters
      05-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbacker View Post
F
1. Replace charge pipe. Yes
2. Replace intercooler. You have to drop the intercooler to change the charge pipe so you might as do both at the same time. The intercooler doesn't have to come out to get the CP out. I pulled my CP out the top. It's easy. I wouldn't bother with an intercooler until you're running Stage 2.
3. Change down pipe. Not thinking catless. Thinking high-flow. Active Autowerkes, Fabspeed, or the HJS Euro 6 are the ONLY ones I'd go with you want quality and no CELS.
4. BM3 or similar tune. Starting out Stage 1 91 octane. I'd lean more towards MHD. They're more conservative with their tunes. They're a German company too and I put more stock in German companies doing mods for German cars.
5. Air intake. I wouldn't bother as there's no power to be gained at all. If you want some sound, get the MPPK/M2 lower airbox.
6. Suspension upgrades. Skies the limit. I've found that the open differential, the narrow front tires, and the soft rear axle where the biggest handling compromises for my M235. An LSD and 245 width tires up front make a huge difference. Addressing the rear axle helps a lot too.

Thanks for the suggestions!
See my responses in red above.
      05-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #13
Catbacker
Rep

It is looking like I can get a package deal on a Mad charge pipe, Mad 5" intercooler, and the BM3 software for $1050 or the Mad 7" stepped intercooler for $1150. My mechanic said he would charge me $200 for the charge pipe intercooler installation. Don't think you can beat that for a significant upgrade. Does anyone know if the 7" requires any modification to the car or is it a direct replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #14
Catbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you're ever in Kansas City, look me up. I've done the following to my 2016 M235 6MT:

- MP LSD (this should be very high on your list)
- Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback
- HJS Euro 6 catted downpipe
- FTP charge pipe
- MPPK/M2 lower airbox
- MP exhaust
- Wagner EVO I Competition intercooler
- Dinan lowering springs and lift spacers (springs on the rear axle only)
- Bilstein B6 Damptronic shocks on the rear axle only
- 245/35R18 square tire setup with wheels
- MP interior and exterior goodies
- Speaker replacements

Maintenance done by myself over the years (car has 50K):

- Oil changes every 5K
- Coolant hose replacement
- Spark plugs
- Belt tensioner and belt replacement
- Cabin and engine filters
Thanks for the suggestions! I am in KC at least twice a month to visit my dad. Would enjoy tossing down a few barley pops and picking your brain on mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #15
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It is looking like I can get a package deal on a Mad charge pipe, Mad 5" intercooler, and the BM3 software for $1050 or the Mad 7" stepped intercooler for $1150. My mechanic said he would charge me $200 for the charge pipe intercooler installation. Don't think you can beat that for a significant upgrade. Does anyone know if the 7" requires any modification to the car or is it a direct replacement?
A 7" stepped IC is overkill IMO unless you plan on tracking the car a lot.

I haven't read much of anything regarding owner reviews of any of the MAD products. They are still relatively new to the BMW game.
      05-17-2021, 10:49 PM   #16
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Fin density on the MAD units is pretty poor, you’re better off with VRSF Competition or ER’s intercooler. Don’t bother going with anything smaller - they’ll perform worse and cost more.

I’ll also say skip the intake and just do a drop in filter, but I’ll sell my M2 lower intake box if you want the extra ‘whoosh’ noise. Besides, some of the intakes cause drivability issues, and I found stock just works better.

Turbo inlet and DV actually improved drivability a bit, and I would recommend if you’re a manual - otherwise, I would probably save it for last.

Finally, for suspension, what’s your goal?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #17
Catbacker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Fin density on the MAD units is pretty poor, you’re better off with VRSF Competition or ER’s intercooler. Don’t bother going with anything smaller - they’ll perform worse and cost more.

I’ll also say skip the intake and just do a drop in filter, but I’ll sell my M2 lower intake box if you want the extra ‘whoosh’ noise. Besides, some of the intakes cause drivability issues, and I found stock just works better.

Turbo inlet and DV actually improved drivability a bit, and I would recommend if you’re a manual - otherwise, I would probably save it for last.

Finally, for suspension, what’s your goal?
Thanks! Appreciate the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #18
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Appreciate the input.
Intercooler:
VRSF 6.5 Competition Intercooler

Charge pipe:
Chargepipe
Chargepipe(VRSF one works with their intercooler as well)

Intake:
Intake filter

For Downpipes - if you want it to be CEL free, there are only 4 options: CG Precision, Active Auto, FabSpeed and Akrapovic. Do the cheapest one, because it's still good.
If you don't need the CEL free guarantee, any other Catted downpipe will work

Downpipe (CEL free):
GC Precision downpipe
Active Autowerke downpipe

Downpipe Catted (no CEL guarantee):
VRSF Catted downpipe

Last edited by AmuroRay; 05-20-2021 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #19
Potty Mouth
Quicker than they think
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

This is why I love forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 09:06 AM   #20
Catbacker
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Particularly about the coolant line. I'm about at 39K now.

Forgot and should have listened. Just replaced it about a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:23 AM   #21
Catbacker
Rep

Upgrade priorities: update

Update:
1. Replace charge pipe. Done. VRSF
2. Replace intercooler. You have to drop the intercooler to change the charge pipe so you might as do both at the same time. Done.
VRSF

3. Change down pipe. Not thinking catless. Thinking high-flow. Not done. Leaning towards staying with VRSF. Catted version
4. BM3 or similar tune. Starting out Stage 1 91 octane. Not done. Purchased software but having connection problems. (see other thread)
5. Air intake. Not done. Leaning towards this Injen: https://x-ph.com/injen-bmw-f-chassis...35-injevo1107/
6. Suspension upgrades. Not done. Not really done any research.

Not an upgrade, just maintenance but new coils and one-step colder plugs to go with the stage 1 tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #22
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update:
1. Replace charge pipe. Done. VRSF
2. Replace intercooler. You have to drop the intercooler to change the charge pipe so you might as do both at the same time. Done.
VRSF

3. Change down pipe. Not thinking catless. Thinking high-flow. Not done. Leaning towards staying with VRSF. Catted version
4. BM3 or similar tune. Starting out Stage 1 91 octane. Not done. Purchased software but having connection problems. (see other thread)
5. Air intake. Not done. Leaning towards this Injen: https://x-ph.com/injen-bmw-f-chassis...35-injevo1107/
6. Suspension upgrades. Not done. Not really done any research.

Not an upgrade, just maintenance but new coils and one-step colder plugs to go with the stage 1 tune.
MAD offers a nice CATTED DP that will reduce smell, but it will trip the CEL light without a tune.

I’d recommend an open intake over a closed box one - Injen, CTS are very popular. Most importantly update your plugs and coils if you haven’t already!
Appreciate 1