THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Help please: Boost Leak after alu CP install? BM3 Stage 1

05-30-2023, 01:42 PM   #1
dipaladle
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Help please: Boost Leak after alu CP install? BM3 Stage 1

Hi everyone,

I am running BM3 Stage 1 on my M235i 6MT and am suspicious of a boost leak.

I had a local shop install an FTP Charge Pipe a few weeks ago, and very soon after I experienced a massive boost leak (low power, loud noises of air escaping upon acceleration, stalling in neutral, jerking in first gear, etc.) I took it back to the shop, and they supposedly corrected the issue by sealing up the meth bungs, assuring me that the issue was solved. It pulled great following this, until today, when I noticed a drop in power, as well as another unusual sound of air escaping, although not nearly as loud as before.

Can someone please walk me through the process of diagnosing the problem via datalogging in the BM3 app? I tried to click "autolog", but I didn't do something right. There are no saved logs in the list, and I can't figure out how to manually start/save a log. I read a few tutorials that mention clicking a blue "log" button on the dashboard, but I do not see this option on the app.

Once I do figure out how to record a log, I understand I am supposed to start it at around 2,000 RPMs in 3rd gear, and end it at around 6,500 RPMs. After this, what should I be looking at to determine if there is an issue?

Forgive my ignorance, but I just don't understand what I should be looking at/for. I've tried to search the forums and find my answer, but I'm still confused. Can someone please explain this to me like I am a child?

Also, is there anything I can physically check to see if the charge pipe has any leaks? I am not showing a CEL, or any codes when I run the diagnostic feature in the BM3 app.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 10:41 AM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Just get a cheap smoke machine from Amazon, stuff it in the intake and look for a physical leak, its incredibly apparent if there is one.
Attached Images

Last edited by jb-slow; 06-01-2023 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 07:29 AM   #3
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

to manually log via the android app, you double tap the dashboard screen.

double tap to stop the log.

post the link to the log here.

what you are looking for is a large mismatch of target boost vs actual boost, with a high wgdc indicating that the car is attempting to reach target boost but failing.
      06-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

do a log from 2500 RPM to at least 6000 RPM, traction "fully off", third gear.

You want to check whats causing the drop in power, if its a boost leak, your WGDC is going to be very high trying to achieve the target boost but your actual boost will not match the target.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0