THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Cars parked in the sun

05-28-2023, 08:51 PM   #23
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I couldn't agree more! 845 is a bit of a pain to apply and remove unless you go really, really thin. But Power Lock has been my go-to for years and years.
I prefer 915, personally.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      05-28-2023, 09:26 PM   #24
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
It really depends on how often you wash and wax your vehicle!

Carnauba waxes do offer UV protection but they only last for a few weeks, as others have stated. As long as you wax your vehicle once a month or so, then you'd be perfectly fine.

Whereas Sealants can offer protection up to 6 months or so. I often use Eagle One "Wax as You Dry" or a spray wax/sealant after washing. So, our vehicles always have a good protective layer. It also makes it easier to wash next time, because contaminants are less likely to stick to the paint.

I still apply Carnauba on occasion for the look, but I depend on the sealants for the protection. I managed a detail business for 14 years, btw. I've also done quite a bit of professional automotive painting. Mostly for myself and family/friends.

I don't typically recommend car covers because those can scratch the paint surface and cause water to sit on the surface. I would recommend using sunshades to help protect the interior though.

Take care,
Ralph
Neither waxes nor sealants provide any material UV protection.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      05-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #25
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
Get the paint corrected and ceramic coated. That will help exterior UV. Ceramic tint all the windows including windshield and sunroof if you have one. They have clear if preferred.
Covercraft makes on of the best sunshades on the market.
That will take care of the interior.
15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2023, 11:37 AM   #26
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
I’m not so sure carnauba (and other protectants) don’t aid in preventing photodegredation.

Cyanotype paper may not be the best predictor.

Google: Carnauba, Cinnimates, UV.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #27
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
if you could cite references, I'd be interested to see them.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 07:03 PM   #28
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Groit's Ceramic wax claims UV protection. https://www.griotsgarage.com/ceramic-3-in-1-wax/
      05-29-2023, 08:40 PM   #29
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
I meant to ask earlier, what color is the car?
Are you in a place where you can erect an actual cover or awning?
15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2023, 12:44 AM   #30
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Nearly every product claims UV protection these days. No one quantifies the amount of UV protection their products / coatings actually provide. Research has shown that even ceramic coating provide very little UV protection. Most coatings / waxes and sealants provide environmental protection to reduce the deterioration of the top layer of clearcoat.
I'm sorry but i do not have the links to some of the research papers that I got this information from, but this is not just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      05-30-2023, 05:03 AM   #31
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
I meant to ask earlier, what color is the car?
Are you in a place where you can erect an actual cover or awning?
White. So the car used to get a fair amount of shade but then our boat had to be parked there instead - we move the car for the kids to play basketball so an awning isn’t ideal for that space. Guess a car cover is the best route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 06:43 AM   #32
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
White. So the car used to get a fair amount of shade but then our boat had to be parked there instead - we move the car for the kids to play basketball so an awning isn’t ideal for that space. Guess a car cover is the best route.
When you order the car cover make sure it has the side mirror pockets which help to hold it in place. Also order the clips and bungee cords that will secure it on windy days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #33
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
FALSE! Please provide something definitive to back up that erroneous statement. Otherwise, you are attempting to refute the scientific community and an entire scientific industry, as well as real world experience.

1. Most or all automotive paint sealants use polymers, such as acrylic or polyurethane, which are scientifically shown to be UV inhibitors. That's why they use them in automotive sealants.

2. Carnauba wax is found within the leaves of Palm trees. These carnauba waxes protect the leaves from damaging UV sun rays, water, and heat, etc. They probably wouldn't survive without it. These natural protective qualities is why Carnauba wax became the industry standard for automotive finish protection and luster, and still is. In addition, synthetic ingredients are added to make the natural carnauba waxes useful and in many instances, giving it even greater UV protection.

The natural components of Carnauba waxes are also used in the cosmetic industry such as Sunscreen for people..."Carnauba wax is partially composed of cinnamates. The rational combination of cinnamates and titanium dioxide has shown a synergistic effect to improve the sun protection factor (SPF) of cosmetic preparations.....Strong UV absorption was observed in diluted suspensions of titanium dioxide after the addition of cinnamates." National Library of Medicine.

3. I was a professional Detailer for 14 years and I've also professionally painted a dozen or more vehicles. I've been maintaining my own vehicles for 40 years. This includes neglecting a few work vehicles over those decades. So, I've seen and dealt with the results of automotive finishes which were cared for and automotive finishes which were neglected on both a personal as well as a profession level.

Sealants and Carnauba Waxes most assuredly help protect your vehicle from damaging UV rays! They are not the Do-All or End-All but they are extremely effective and helpful. First, they offer UV protection themselves. Secondly, they act as a sacrificial layer for the automotive clear coat. Lastly, in addition to car washes they help the clear coat to properly perform it's job as the greatest UV barrier; by effectively keeping the surface clear of contaminants that can degrade the clear coat.

4. Reputable manufacturers offer independent documentation if interested. This was provided to me by Optimum, "Optimum Spray Wax has patented UV protection, see patent 6,685,765 for UV protection that includes independent test results."

Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 06-08-2023 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 2
DanG10447.00
      06-08-2023, 10:16 AM   #34
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

It has been 2 years since I have been using these combo products and I absolutely like them.

The GYEON is great on black trims and The Last Coat for textured trims like mudflaps and unpainted plastic.

Ultra Lock has the best gloss I have tried. Place two coats on flat surfaces like the hood, roof, etc...

All are under $100, no need for ceramic coating services which is 10x the price.

Appreciate 2
      06-08-2023, 11:51 AM   #35
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FALSE! Please provide something definitive to back up that erroneous statement. Otherwise, you are attempting to refute the scientific community and an entire scientific industry, as well as real world experience.

1. Most or all automotive paint sealants use polymers, such as acrylic or polyurethane, which are scientifically shown to be UV inhibitors. That's why they use them in automotive sealants.

2. Carnauba wax is found within the leaves of Palm trees. These carnauba waxes protect the leaves from damaging UV sun rays, water, and heat, etc. They probably wouldn't survive without it. These natural protective qualities is why Carnauba wax became the industry standard for automotive finish protection and luster, and still is. In addition, synthetic ingredients are added to make the natural carnauba waxes useful and in many instances, giving it even greater UV protection.

The natural components of Carnauba waxes are also used in the cosmetic industry such as Sunscreen for people..."Carnauba wax is partially composed of cinnamates. The rational combination of cinnamates and titanium dioxide has shown a synergistic effect to improve the sun protection factor (SPF) of cosmetic preparations.....Strong UV absorption was observed in diluted suspensions of titanium dioxide after the addition of cinnamates." National Library of Medicine.

3. I was a professional Detailer for 14 years and I've also professionally painted a dozen or more vehicles. I've been maintaining my own vehicles for 40 years. This includes neglecting a few work vehicles over those decades. So, I've seen and dealt with the results of automotive finishes which were cared for and automotive finishes which were neglected on both a personal as well as a profession level.

Sealants and Carnauba Waxes most assuredly help protect your vehicle from damaging UV rays! They are not the Do-All or End-All but they are extremely effective and helpful. First, they offer UV protection themselves. Secondly, they act as a sacrificial layer for the automotive clear coat. Lastly, in addition to car washes they help the clear coat to properly perform it's job as the greatest UV barrier; by effectively keeping the surface clear of contaminants that can degrade the clear coat.

4. Reputable manufacturers offer independent documentation if interested. This was provided to me by Optimum, "Optimum Spray Wax has patented UV protection, see patent 6,685,765 for UV protection that includes independent test results."

Ralph
OK RALPH, carry on with your microscopic layer of UV protection!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #36
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I shall Forzan. I will also continue to offer accurate and good advice to folks who desire such.

Otherwise, the image below is of our 16 year old, 2007 BMW 530xi, with 255k miles on it. It is a daily driver and not garage kept. We also live on the AL/MS Gulf Coast with it's salt, heat, rain, and humidity. The paint is still in near pristine condition but only because of regular washes and use of waxes and sealants. Sealants and waxes that I used both professionally and personally. Such that you erroneously stated offer no UV protection.

So, it's simply a disservice to everyone for you to make erroneous and inaccurate statements and following up with a snarky post is a little petty. Just man-up and move on. It's pretty easy.....

Take care,
Ralph
Attached Images

Last edited by Ralph III; 06-08-2023 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-08-2023, 01:27 PM   #37
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I shall Forzan. I will also continue to offer accurate and good advice to folks who desire such.

Otherwise, the image below is of our 16 year old, 2007 BMW 530xi, with 255k miles on it. It is a daily driver and not garage kept. We also live on the AL/MS Gulf Coast with it's salt, heat, rain, and humidity. The paint is still in near pristine condition but only because of regular washes and use of waxes and sealants. Sealants and waxes that I used both professionally and personally. Such that you erroneously stated offer no UV protection.

So, it's simply a disservice to everyone for you to make erroneous and inaccurate statements and following up with a snarky post is a little petty. Just man-up and move on. It's pretty easy.....

Take care,
Ralph

Thanks for the anecdote Ralph, good thing you put that microscopic layer of sealant on your car, that 2mils of UV inhibitors in BMW clear coat never stood a chance!
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      06-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #38
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
My wife’s xc90 sits in the sun probably half the day before shade from our oak tree helps block the rays. What do you reccomend for keeping the car protected from the rather constant sun exposure?
Xpel if the cars a keeper over 5-8 yrs
Appreciate 2
chris7197273.00
      06-08-2023, 07:18 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Thanks for the anecdote Ralph, good thing you put that microscopic layer of sealant on your car, that 2mils of UV inhibitors in BMW clear coat never stood a chance!
Yep. PPF helps, but waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings provide relatively little UV protection. They provide more than zero, but not a ton. The average ceramic coating is around 2 microns thick or so. There's simply no way they can do much, especially against the longer wavelengths. If they were any good, the companies would be showing you data or coming up with a metric.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2023, 08:26 PM   #40
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Yep. PPF helps, but waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings provide relatively little UV protection. They provide more than zero, but not a ton. The average ceramic coating is around 2 microns thick or so. There's simply no way they can do much, especially against the longer wavelengths. If they were any good, the companies would be showing you data or coming up with a metric.
PPG states that it's clear coat even needs to be at least 2 mils thick (50 microns or about as thick as a grocery bag) to be able to absorb the UV with the chemistry it uses in its modern clear coat (which is incredible at UV protection). Thinking that a ceramic, sealant or wax that's 2 microns thick is going to block UV is hilarious.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      06-08-2023, 09:05 PM   #41
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
PPG states that it's clear coat even needs to be at least 2 mils thick (50 microns or about as thick as a grocery bag) to be able to absorb the UV with the chemistry it uses in its modern clear coat (which is incredible at UV protection). Thinking that a ceramic, sealant or wax that's 2 microns thick is going to block UV is hilarious.

It’s probably not that the wax has to be a complete barrier. It’s that the wax has something sacrificial to offer for the atoms (which cause oxidation) to react with that isn’t the clear coat or paint or resin.
Also above and beyond washing, waxing is another form of cleaning acid fall-out that the UV can’t react with and cause damage.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 09:38 PM   #42
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
It’s probably not that the wax has to be a complete barrier. It’s that the wax has something sacrificial to offer for the atoms (which cause oxidation) to react with that isn’t the clear coat or paint or resin.
Also above and beyond washing, waxing is another form of cleaning acid fall-out that the UV can’t react with and cause damage.
Clear coat was originally put on cars to be that layer of protection for the cars actual paint. Modern clear coat doesn't fail like it used to anyway and it doesn't need a "sacrificial layer". Wax and sealants do not offer material UV protection period.

Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      06-09-2023, 01:20 AM   #43
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
      06-09-2023, 08:04 AM   #44
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:

Take care,
Ralph
Wow impressive - so wax & sealants - how often quarterly or every 6 mos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0