THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Oil Pan Gasket vs. Rear Main Seal

02-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
simm235i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Oil Pan Gasket vs. Rear Main Seal

Preface:
Thanks to my countless hours spent surfing through 2addicts posts over the years, I've been able to really surprise people with how much I know about my car (especially as a female). And I'd like to thank all of you experts for helping me avoid getting taken advantage of when it comes to repairs. While I can usually find answers searching through past threads, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for today.

Situation:
I took my car to get serviced after seeing smoke from the engine body area and the tech said there was a lot of oil in between the bell housing and oil pan. They cleaned it, sprayed it with powder spray, and test drove it but couldn't find the leak. They're saying it could either be an oil pan gasket or rear main seal leak and want me to drive it around for a little to try to recreate it.

Just ask your damn questions:

1. Are either oil pan gasket or rear main seal issues common/expected for a 2014 M235i?

2. I don't see any oil leaking on the ground or out of the exhaust, and the check engine light is not on. Is there anything else that could be causing oil leaks in between the bell housing and oil pan?

3. I read in a past thread that "All rear main seals 'leak' very very little. I would call it sweating more than leaking." Could this be true and the oil has just collected over the years and I shouldn't worry?

4. I read about a product called BlueDevil Rear Main sealer. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on this for a M235i? Note: This is not a cost issue, I really just don't want them to tear my baby apart if it is a rear main seal (Think of it as someone trying to find alternatives to open heart surgery).

Looking forward to your responses!

Last edited by simm235i; 02-20-2020 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Formatting Issue
Appreciate 1
Rollo`124.00
      02-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

#4 should should be dropped off the bat. Lot of those type of products are made to swell the gasket or sealant and I think it's a bad idea.

The techs should be able to dial into the cause. Sometimes the oil is so saturating the area it very difficult to find the origin. The next time you go in they may be able to know exactly.

I don't know enough about these drivetrains to add anything
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #3
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I dont see how either of those would be causing smoke, its likely the valve cover gasket and that's very common and I would expect a 2014 to have need a replacement by now or due for it soon. This drips onto the cat/exhaust, hence the smoke.

I know on some other vehicles the RMS is over the exhaust, but in ours I just dont see it, I think its way over to the passenger side.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
simm235i
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
I dont see how either of those would be causing smoke, its likely the valve cover gasket and that's very common and I would expect a 2014 to have need a replacement by now or due for it soon. This drips onto the cat/exhaust, hence the smoke.

I know on some other vehicles the RMS is over the exhaust, but in ours I just dont see it, I think its way over to the passenger side.
Thanks for your response!

I just had a service done 2 months ago where they "removed engine filter housing; replaced all gaskets, and cleaned sealing surfaces" and "replaced upper radiator hose and thermostat-to cyclinger head coolant hose." Do you think my current issue could be caused by the technicians doing any of those things wrong?
      02-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
simm235i
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
#4 should should be dropped off the bat. Lot of those type of products are made to swell the gasket or sealant and I think it's a bad idea.

The techs should be able to dial into the cause. Sometimes the oil is so saturating the area it very difficult to find the origin. The next time you go in they may be able to know exactly.

I don't know enough about these drivetrains to add anything
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the sealer!

I figured I would get a head start from the technicians so I could understand them when they do find the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simm235i View Post
Thanks for your response!

I just had a service done 2 months ago where they "removed engine filter housing; replaced all gaskets, and cleaned sealing surfaces" and "replaced upper radiator hose and thermostat-to cyclinger head coolant hose." Do you think my current issue could be caused by the technicians doing any of those things wrong?
That was probably the oil filter housing gasket, that is at the front and driver's side of the engine so if they did that wrong you would see oil there, but the complete opposite side of where it sounds like yours is.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #7
simm235i
Registered
United_States
Rep

I just got the results back, sounds like it is a rear main seal issue. I was quoted $3500 for the work, does that seem accurate/ballpark to have this done at a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
I just got the results back, sounds like it is a rear main seal issue. I was quoted $3500 for the work, does that seem accurate/ballpark to have this done at a dealership?
that sounds about right they will need to pull the trans clutch and flywheel to get to the seal. they are going to want to replace all the wear items while they are there doing the rear main seal. so the clutch pressure plate throw out bearing, pilot bearing and resurface/ replace the fly wheel
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      03-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Might be a good time to get a second opinion from a reputable indie shop. Like the heart surgery analogy, either you reassure yourself you actually need it done, or you find that it is something less severe (and probably for less $$, and willing to consider aftermarket upgrade options for the parts like clutch/flywheel). Your local BMW CCA should have some good recc's for shops to work with, and the 10% discount on work will pay for the membership.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #10
Sleepless_Engineer
BLUE M235i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Revisiting this thread: 2016 M235i, US spec.

Discovered my valve cover gasket has recently started leaking. Dealership repair would run 1600, but have some very knowledgeable contacts in the area including a certified BMW tech who can repair for much cheaper. But there does seem to be a lot of hype behind *specifically* the Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak. By reading MANY articles and reviews (easily over 100 at this point) and watching many videos including instructional ones from the manufacturer, it seems to work differently than most other stop leak oil additives. My understanding is it works by renewing the rubber seals chemically, rather than through plugging or swelling to fill cracks.

My question is: does anyone have direct knowledge of any risks associated with this particular product? Are there specific parts or areas of the N55 oil system that are prone to swelling even with this product? If so, is there risks of blockages due to swelling? Maybe seals losing proper contact area?

I ask because, although obviously repairing the VCG is the permanent (and more expensive) fix, the idea of refreshing and renewing other seals in the oil system that could fail soon sounds like a good idea for extending engine life. That is, if BD Oil Stop Leak is all it's cracked up to be.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 04:56 PM   #11
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Quote:
Just to add some more schools of thought....

If you're not losing significant oil where you need to refill and it's not pooling anywhere or destroying your underbody, some would call that a non-issue. Heck, if it's not getting worse right now you don't need to do it now.

$3500 is a lot for something that isn't needed might be best to wait until something else under there goes and do it all then.
Appreciate 0