THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F22 sounds system issues (speakers popping and cutting out)

05-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #1
Drebeemer007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Question F22 sounds system issues (speakers popping and cutting out)

Hello all,

This is my first post here as I have just joined the forum. I have a 2015 M235i that I purchased from Copart. I am currently experiencing sound issues. Whenever I turn on the radio, play music through an aux or Bluetooth the sound will play for around 4 seconds turn off, stay silent for 4 seconds, resume, play for 4 seconds, and turn off. This cycle will repeat and repeat. If I turn the radio off then my speakers will make a "pop" sound every 4-5 seconds. The pop will come from each individual speaker. It only pops one speaker at a time and will work its way through the car. Sort of like in a loop pattern. This is extremely infuriating.

I spoke with the previous owner (that crashed the car initially) and he let me know that the sound system started behaving this way after he changed out the clutch in the car.

I took the car over to BMW and they didn't seem to be very helpful. They let me know the amp is at fault. I bought a new amp and the issue proceeds.

Today I am thinking of tearing into the car from the inside and re-tracing the work that the previous owner may have done in order to take off the shifter. Perhaps there is a bad connection somewhere or a bad ground .

Please share your thoughts and any input.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Are you experiencing any other electronic or electrical issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
Drebeemer007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

The only other thing I noticed that the cigarette lighter up front by the shifter does not work as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Do you own a digital volt meter? If not, go to HD or Lowes and spend $25 for a quality meter. Then, check the voltage at the jumper post located under the red plastic cover under the hood. Use the engine as ground. Check the voltage:
- hood open and nothing turned on
- audio is running but engine not started
- engine idling
- engine revving at 2000rpm.

When make each measurement check it with the meter set to VDC and then voltage ac (vac). Why vac? You want to see if there's any alternating current being produced by the alternator. An alternator produces alternating current. That ac goes through a full wave rectifier to create DC. The presence of ac on the meter could indicate a faulty alternator.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4480.50