THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW Ultimate Care +2

10-18-2020, 12:42 AM   #1
Jaxom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

BMW Ultimate Care +2

Hi all,

Recently purchased a CPO'd BMW M240i about 3-4 weeks. It had about 30k miles when I bought it and is now nearing 31k miles.

I paid $2700 for the UC+2 package however think it's a waste of money doing more research.. as I'm in AZ I understand I have 60 days from the purchase date to receive this pro-rata'd back.

I know I'll most likely come to a brake change by 40k miles... and wanted to know if anyone knew how much that brake change cost? the computer is telling me about 8k miles for the rear and 10k miles for the front.

I am thinking of switching this money to extend the normal warranty of the vehicle instead. Would love your thoughts.

Many thanks,
Jax
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #2
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxom View Post
Hi all,

Recently purchased a CPO'd BMW M240i about 3-4 weeks. It had about 30k miles when I bought it and is now nearing 31k miles.

I paid $2700 for the UC+2 package however think it's a waste of money doing more research.. as I'm in AZ I understand I have 60 days from the purchase date to receive this pro-rata'd back.

I know I'll most likely come to a brake change by 40k miles... and wanted to know if anyone knew how much that brake change cost? the computer is telling me about 8k miles for the rear and 10k miles for the front.

I am thinking of switching this money to extend the normal warranty of the vehicle instead. Would love your thoughts.

Many thanks,
Jax
It all depends on the rates of your local BMW shop. Around here the cost to replace the pads and rotors is about 2k or so and oil changes are ~200. Complete and total ripoff yes, but it all depends on if you want to have all your service dome at the dealer or if you prefer to do it yourself or go to an indy. You could absolutely do your own oil changes and a brake job for waaaaaaaaaay less, but again, it depends on your level of convenience.

As with extended warranties and maintenance plans, they wouldn't be offered unless the companies made money in the long run. Sometimes you are able to take "full advantage" and the repairs cost more than you paid for the plans, but most often not.

I decided to go with the +3 plan in addition to getting a CPO car because I was tired of doing my own work and also wanted to have all the work done at BMW so if there ever was an issue I could say "you're the only one who worked on the car, so you can't blame anyone else - fix it." Not 100% guaranteed, but nothing is besides death and taxes!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

2k for Rotors and Pads is a complete rip off IMO, but of course, that's considering not using OEM parts... First off, rotors won't be needed with each pad change, so figure a couple hundred for pads DIY! And keep in mind, with DIY you can and should be maintaining items at better intervals than the dealer, like oil as an example, they're only going to change it when completely necessary! But if you aren't a DIY kinda person, then yeah, go for it! Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
My indy shop will never change BMW pads without changing the rotors. That is what BMW recommends. Not doing so is penny wise and pound foolish.
And yes, OEM, unless you want something better, which translates into more money.
$2000 for changing all 4 brakes is not unreasonable. Even in an area where the hourly rates in indy shops are much lower than around here in the Northeast.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Rollo`
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

2000 dollars is ridiculous for a brake job if you have any tools and even the most basic mechanical experience. The pad only change is a 15 minute job per axle not counting getting the car lifted and wheels off. It is unlikely you will need new rotors on your first pad change. You can choose to replace them anyway but you can get the rotors and pads from Brembo directly for much less than BMW charges and even changing the rotors on this car is easy.

Of course, if you have plenty of money or minimal time or don't like to work on your car there is nothing wrong with letting BMW or an Indy shop do it for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Scheduled maintenance is expensive, but much more so at the dealership - I generally consider those service plans to be a waste, more of an incentive to try to keep you using the dealership for service longer. If you don't care who does it, then find the local quality shop and talk to them about what they would charge (my local indie will do pre-track brake pad swap and flush for about $400, but not all will accept you bringing your own parts). And really look into what the factory recommends: I think they recc a brake fluid flush every 2 years, and perhaps there is other stuff that would tilt things in favor of the service agreement; Most indies don't give you a loaner either, so there are secondary factors that may come into play.

And FWIW, my dealer was quite happy to replace pads and just resurface my rear rotors when they were paying for it under the service plan (pointing out to me that they left a meaty .001 above the factory limits for replacement when I questioned this). They did admit that they would not offer that service to a routine customer, and were only doing it because they knew they would replace the rotors any time they did eventually wear. They had already replaced a set of brakes that I'd obviously beaten to death on track, so overall I still consider them a very user-friendly place.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Jaxom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240I

Understood, Unfortunately, I live in an Apartment complex and am short on time.. so DIY is a bit hard considering the Garage :P.

Thanks all for the responses, I guess I might keep it then hopefully with break-even at least with the upcoming brake changes and oil changes that will have to occur.

Agreed with your point on the blame game.. I have 3 dealers in the area I live.. I've found both terrible/awesome people at all of them to deal with it's just about making sure you keep doing business with the right individuals!

Literally, have one which always quotes me x2 the labor charge as his teammate which I always find funny.

Jax
Appreciate 0