THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Steering weight variables

10-08-2022, 07:00 PM   #1
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Steering weight variables

So I went and changed the EPS max-current value from 105A to 85A as mentioned by brakethru in this post;

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=115

I was hoping maybe it would cause the steering to remain in "sport chassis mode" all the time, but obviously there are some other settings involved. Steering in comfort mode is now stiffer, but still not as stiff as the previous sport mode. Sport mode is now noticeably stiffer than it was before as well. Basically I have made both modes heavier, which is fine. I like the change and plan to leave it, but makes me wonder about other options. I now assume that the sport setting just decreases the amperage by a fixed amount. Does anyone know if there is a variable for this? Reducing or removing that delta, along with a custom value for the above noted amperage setting may get me to what I would like the end result to be - heavier steering all the time regardless of chassis mode.

Any additional info is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
I didn't realize you could change that, it's fascinating to me actually. What app did you use to do so? What other functions does the app have?

Specifically, about the steering, did changing the steering weight have any affect on the feel, or is it just heavier? I would assume the latter, but I have to ask.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerC_6MT View Post
I didn't realize you could change that, it's fascinating to me actually. What app did you use to do so? What other functions does the app have?

Specifically, about the steering, did changing the steering weight have any affect on the feel, or is it just heavier? I would assume the latter, but I have to ask.
I find it fascinating as well. I used Protool on my Android phone and an ENET adapter. Protool supposedly can do almost everything E-sys can do, which is a LOT.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-page/coding-license

Unfortunately much of it does not seem to be well (or really at all) documented, which led me to start this thread here; https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1961198

And no, it does not really improve the steering feel, it just requires more effort. I find the comfort mode steering to be uncomfortably light and would simply like a way to have the sport mode steering all the time. I'm still not sure if this is possible, but I continue to research some of the other available coding parameters and will certainly post if I find the solution.
Appreciate 0