THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Metis Leader (voyage complete)

03-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #177
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxley View Post
Supernaut, here's some eye candy for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Where on earth is that from? I've never seen a rendition of Dog with that much detail.

For InlineSix (or should we abbreviate you ISTS?): Dog is a character from the Half Life 2 video game. He's designed like a gorilla but behaves like a loyal dog.
Damn, I just realized that's YOUR work! I found some of your stuff online and it is AMAZING. I've always been envious of people with the combination of creativity and artistic talent, especially when they can cross subject boundaries the way you do.

Oh, and how about that Metis Leader moving right along.... 4 inches at a time.

Last edited by Supernaut; 03-07-2015 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: drifting off topic
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 10:11 AM   #178
ellincali
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSixTwinScroll View Post
Hey elincali, I've discovered two great ways to stay occupied during this painful time.

1 - Shop for accessories for your car. Ex - Cargo (trunk) organizer, waste basket, camera mount, dash cam, etc. This, in my experience, is quite effective !

2 - Plan road trips for once you get your car. My first trip will be to Death Valley, the weekend after I get my car. Not only do these trips help you break in your car, they're also a lot of fun ! On this trip, I'm also going to test my new camera mount in different spots on my car, so I can capture pics/video from different angles.

Scenic drives: https://www.myscenicdrives.com/regions/california
Love this scenic drive website! Thanks for posting. We're thinking about driving down to San Diego in June, but that's long after the car's broken in. I don't think I've ever been up the far North Coast, that would be nice.

This is probably a totally stupid question but we've already established I don't know that much about cars. Would Tahoe be a bad choice during the break-in period if the car's not specifically tuned for that altitude?

I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing ED after reading some of the posts here of people who did. We're going to Germany in the Fall anyway. Why was I so impatient? True, I would have had to find an alternate car for 6 or 7 months, but it probably would have been worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #179
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elincali View Post
Love this scenic drive website! Thanks for posting. We're thinking about driving down to San Diego in June, but that's long after the car's broken in. I don't think I've ever been up the far North Coast, that would be nice.

This is probably a totally stupid question but we've already established I don't know that much about cars. Would Tahoe be a bad choice during the break-in period if the car's not specifically tuned for that altitude?

I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing ED after reading some of the posts here of people who did. We're going to Germany in the Fall anyway. Why was I so impatient? True, I would have had to find an alternate car for 6 or 7 months, but it probably would have been worth it.
Turbos compensate nicely for the thinner air at high altitude, so Tahoe would be no problem. It will also give you the variations in speed you want for break in if you're following the factory recs. The only downside I see is getting too distracted by the scenery to stay on the road.

I also decided against ED and I know I'll kick myself forever for it since I keep my cars a long time. Just too much going on this year with family to be able to do it right.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #180
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I drove all the way up to Astoria, Oregon, during XMas 2014. It was a FABULOUS drive, even though it rained like the tropics and visibility was near zero. I highly recommend driving up the Oregon coast, esp. since you're much closer to it than I am.

Quote:
Not a stupid Q. Tahoe is not a bad choice at all. Your car's engine is turbocharged, which means that it compresses whatever air is available to it (at any altitude), so it performs better than a naturally aspirated car engine with the same displacement (size) would. In fact, one of the foremost benefits of having a turbocharger is the boost at higher altitudes, to compensate for lower air density ! So, you should be totally ok driving to Tahoe. In general, try not to rev the engine higher than around 4000 rpm or so, unless you absolutely need to (emergency situations, or climbing steep inclines). Doing so once or twice is not the end of the world, but try not to do it consistently, no matter where you are driving. The car does not need to be tuned for a particular altitude, it just needs to provide sufficient performance at a given altitude, and Tahoe is about a mile (5280 feet) above sea level (right ?), which is like parts of Colorado. You'll be totally fine.

Quote:
Don't kick yourself. While I agree that ED is a great experience, I personally don't think it's worth it having to wait for that long to get my car. Also, most people who do ED like to drive the car on the autobahn where there is no speed limit (on some stretches), so they can drive the car near its max speed. If you don't care about this, and all you care about is scenery, our beautiful country provides all kinds of great scenery you could ever wish for, and good road conditions.

NOTE - I've been to Europe, including Germany, and including Munich, so no, I'm not saying this out of spite for Europe or out of ignorance ... just thought to point that out

In the time that it takes to actually get the car stateside, I would probably lose all interest in that car and start thinking about a different car. You made the right choice, in my humble opinion.

If you really wanna do ED, plan ahead next time, and book it a year in advance.

Last edited by Inline_Six; 03-07-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #181
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update is 6 hours old
Attached Images

03-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #182
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

MarineTraffic has a more recent update (40 min)
Attached Images

03-07-2015, 11:42 AM   #183
baxley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSPORT

@#%@ SO CLOSE!

Thanks Supernaut!

Eli, did you get flats or heels?!

The closer it gets, the more difficult I realize it's going to be; 1200 'soft' miles?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #184
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just spoke to the dealer. As far as dealer pickup goes, he gave me a tentative date of 3/16 or 3/17 ... he said that's likely. So, I'm thinking I should sell my GLI next Sunday 3/15. No loaner cars offered !!!

He said they're able to do much better tracking and estimation once the car is actually off the boat (and supposedly at the VPC). He can talk to the trucking company and get a better estimate next week, so for now, I just have to wait till around Wed next week.

03-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #185
baxley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just spoke to the dealer. As far as dealer pickup goes, he gave me a tentative date of 3/16 or 3/17 ... he said that's likely. So, I'm thinking I should sell my GLI next Sunday 3/15. No loaner cars offered !!!

He said they're able to do much better tracking and estimation once the car is actually off the boat (and supposedly at the VPC). He can talk to the trucking company and get a better estimate next week, so for now, I just have to wait till around Wed next week.

That's some @#%@##R! @#$%
I'm getting mine on the 13TH!!!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #186
billJ
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

Smile

Quote:
Here's what my dealer just sent me:

Below is the ETA for your order. We should get the car here few days later.
Again, thanks for your interest in Irvine BMW. I hope to hear from you soon.

Port of Arrival:
PO OX PORT HUENEME CA
Est. Arrival: 3/10/15
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #187
1ChrisRuck
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
Quote:
HAha, dude, you should totally start a new thread. It's a lot of fun.
Quote:
You should definitely start your own thread for your ship. Even if you're the only one we'll crash it because we have nothing better to do right now!
Guys I created a thread for the vessel ferrying my new M235i

Check it out: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1099528

Having the car finally in route puts me in a different mood. Something akin to being even more impatient
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #188
ellincali
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I wonder if they're giving you an outside date so you don't get your hopes up in case something slows it down. My money is still on 3/14 for you, but I get why you want to be cautiously optimistic.

In two months we'll be laughing at how impatient we were for what's really such a short period of time!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #189
ellincali
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
@#%@ SO CLOSE!

Eli, did you get flats or heels?!

The closer it gets, the more difficult I realize it's going to be; 1200 'soft' miles?
No actual purchase; I'm too distracted to buy anything!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #190
ellincali
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Turbos compensate nicely for the thinner air at high altitude, so Tahoe would be no problem. It will also give you the variations in speed you want for break in if you're following the factory recs. The only downside I see is getting too distracted by the scenery to stay on the road.
Quote:
Not a stupid Q. Tahoe is not a bad choice at all. Your car's engine is turbocharged, which means that it compresses whatever air is available to it (at any altitude), so it performs better than a naturally aspirated car engine with the same displacement (size) would. In fact, one of the foremost benefits of having a turbocharger is the boost at higher altitudes, to compensate for lower air density ! So, you should be totally ok driving to Tahoe. In general, try not to rev the engine higher than around 4000 rpm or so, unless you absolutely need to (emergency situations, or climbing steep inclines). Doing so once or twice is not the end of the world, but try not to do it consistently, no matter where you are driving. The car does not need to be tuned for a particular altitude, it just needs to provide sufficient performance at a given altitude, and Tahoe is about a mile (5280 feet) above sea level (right ?), which is like parts of Colorado. You'll be totally fine.

Don't kick yourself. While I agree that ED is a great experience, I personally don't think it's worth it having to wait for that long to get my car. Also, most people who do ED like to drive the car on the autobahn where there is no speed limit (on some stretches), so they can drive the car near its max speed. If you don't care about this, and all you care about is scenery, our beautiful country provides all kinds of great scenery you could ever wish for, and good road conditions.

NOTE - I've been to Europe, including Germany, and including Munich, so no, I'm not saying this out of spite for Europe or out of ignorance ... just thought to point that out

In the time that it takes to actually get the car stateside, I would probably lose all interest in that car and start thinking about a different car. You made the right choice, in my humble opinion.

If you really wanna do ED, plan ahead next time, and book it a year in advance.
Thank you both for the helpful responses. In that case and weather permitting, I think Tahoe might be the first trip since the husband hasn't been there yet.

Yes, yes, the Autobahn with no speed limit! Don't let my choice of a 228 fool you. In my heart I wanted the M235 but decided I didn't really need it. 15 years ago it would have been a different story, no doubt. The other reason is I had an old 911 for years--it wasn't modified but it stilled seemed very fast to me The top end was higher, but it wasn't as fast 0-60 as the 228 is, so I figured that would be fast enough.

...and then on the other end of the spectrum was the diesel rabbit I once had. 0-60 in a stupefying 22 seconds.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #191
PHX767
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

The Jaws theme music comes to mind as the Metis approaches San Diego. Waiting is getting expensive for me. Front Splitter and Carbon mirrors bought in last week or so to serve as pacifier. Just warming up too. Somebody stop me.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #192
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey, what I don't understand is ... how can your dealer be so sure of the pickup date ? There are many variables at play in calculating the pickup date. To name a few, :

- The arrival of the ship at port
- The union strike horseshit
- Driving the car from the boat to the VPC
- US customs inspecting and clearing the car
- Possibility that your car was damaged in transit, which would mean repairs
- Regular VPC procedures (instrument calibration, etc)
- Trucking (this is the most predictable step of all)
- Dealer prep

How can your dealer be so sure ?
      03-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #193
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if they're giving you an outside date so you don't get your hopes up in case something slows it down. My money is still on 3/14 for you, but I get why you want to be cautiously optimistic.

In two months we'll be laughing at how impatient we were for what's really such a short period of time!
Thanks, but 3/14 actually wouldn't work for me I will be in LA for a wedding. 3/15 would be grand

I would love to get it on 3/13 !!!!!

I agree ... in 2 weeks, we'll be laughing our butts off Perhaps it's best to just let the system do its thing and forget about it. Yeah, we should totally just do that.

BUT HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by Inline_Six; 03-07-2015 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #194
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No actual purchase; I'm too distracted to buy anything!
      03-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #195
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ChrisRuck View Post
Having the car finally in route puts me in a different mood. Something akin to being even more impatient
I believe it's called Pre M235i Syndrome.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 06:39 PM   #196
baxley
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Dealer hasn't told me crap, I just know that's when I'm getting it
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #197
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dealer hasn't told me crap, I just know that's when I'm getting it
Ahhhhhhhhh, I see ...
      03-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #198
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep

Is it just me or is the music in this video truly amazing ? I must have listened to it about 547 times so far in the 2 months that I've known about it. The video shows the production of one of their Diesel engines and the marriage of an engine to a chassis.