THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Still want an EV? (NO POLITICS)

04-15-2023, 04:51 PM   #1805
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I have never shopped at Costco.

What exactly are these people saving per gallon, to endure waiting in line?

Versus going to next corner and instantly filling up at Shell or Mobil?
Over here, regular is normally about 10c/L cheaper at Costco. Even more for premium
Only time I’d go is usually very first thing in the morning, way before the stores even open

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 05:10 PM   #1806
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBoost View Post
Never for gas

Even during extreme shortages the stations I go to never looked like that, but I don't get gas from QT, RT, Sam's, Costco, Walmart, Kroger, etc. I remember not being able to find 93 anywhere for 1 day over a weekend but got some the next day and was the only person there.
I'd rather chew tinfoil than sit in a line up at Costco for gas.
Appreciate 1
chris7197545.50
      04-15-2023, 05:31 PM   #1807
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Today was decent, since the fill up is on the right side of the 1LE, I can usually get gas in a reasonable amount of time, but for my other car I don’t even bother, no point to it. My time is too valuable.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 05:39 PM   #1808
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Source?
''Premium Unleaded 97.''
https://www.costco.co.uk/kirkland-signature-fuel
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2023, 05:44 PM   #1809
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
This was pretty cool.

Wanted to fill up the G80. I always use shell. V-power is all i use. However i go there and there's a filling truck there, no thanks. So i go 1/4 mile up the road to the exxon. I guess people couldn't wait for the shell as well so they decided to go here. Not many cars so i decided to wait.

But one pickup was hogging 2 pumps. Not on purpose, he just had a gigantic pickup. So i waited. No big deal. But then another person was already in front of me so he should be quick since gas is quick to get right?

Nah not really, 2 of the pumps were out of order. More cars were starting to pull in so i couldn't just drive around to the next aisle of pumps. Dude in front of me had a car full of kids. So the kids get out and went inside the exxon mini-mart. It's all good. Kids gotta get their snacks.

Finally they got done pumping but stayed at the pump for about 2 minutes. I totally get it. You gotta make sure the kids are buckled up because maybe they were going on a road trip today, since today was pretty nice out. I waited patiently. I'm a patient guy. They finally left.

I pull up, said what's up to the attendant since i do come here sometimes if shell is too busy or if the filling truck is there, like today.

I go fill up. Was about 59 bucks. Yikes. Totally different than the 8 bucks to charge my tesla.

So filling up the G80 today cost me 59 bucks. Including the trip time to shell, then leaving shell, then doing the whole fiasco at exxon.

About 23 minutes. A couple of minutes short of visiting a tesla supercharger.

I'll stick to home charging with the tesla vs the inconsistency of gas fill ups, especially during these times where the weather is nice and people parading gas stations.

2035 on the move!
      04-15-2023, 07:41 PM   #1810
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Ah, fair enough. Didn’t see you were not in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 08:01 PM   #1811
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: Whatever's in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
This was pretty cool.

Wanted to fill up the G80. I always use shell. V-power is all i use. However i go there and there's a filling truck there, no thanks. So i go 1/4 mile up the road to the exxon. I guess people couldn't wait for the shell as well so they decided to go here. Not many cars so i decided to wait.

But one pickup was hogging 2 pumps. Not on purpose, he just had a gigantic pickup. So i waited. No big deal. But then another person was already in front of me so he should be quick since gas is quick to get right?

Nah not really, 2 of the pumps were out of order. More cars were starting to pull in so i couldn't just drive around to the next aisle of pumps. Dude in front of me had a car full of kids. So the kids get out and went inside the exxon mini-mart. It's all good. Kids gotta get their snacks.

Finally they got done pumping but stayed at the pump for about 2 minutes. I totally get it. You gotta make sure the kids are buckled up because maybe they were going on a road trip today, since today was pretty nice out. I waited patiently. I'm a patient guy. They finally left.

I pull up, said what's up to the attendant since i do come here sometimes if shell is too busy or if the filling truck is there, like today.

I go fill up. Was about 59 bucks. Yikes. Totally different than the 8 bucks to charge my tesla.

So filling up the G80 today cost me 59 bucks. Including the trip time to shell, then leaving shell, then doing the whole fiasco at exxon.

About 23 minutes. A couple of minutes short of visiting a tesla supercharger.

I'll stick to home charging with the tesla vs the inconsistency of gas fill ups, especially during these times where the weather is nice and people parading gas stations.

2035 on the move!
So this is considered a typical gas station stop? 23 min? Must be like those folks that have to wait in line for 2 hours to charge their EV. Pretty typical...
Appreciate 3
Patton2502959.00
      04-15-2023, 08:18 PM   #1812
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Actually, if I could get that kind of savings for regular gas, I would wait 10 minutes also. We just don’t have that kind of savings at our local Costco. Like I said only one one or two cents a gallon savings.
Really? By me Costco is generally a good 20+ cents cheaper than the surrounding stations.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2023, 08:31 PM   #1813
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
So this is considered a typical gas station stop? 23 min? Must be like those folks that have to wait in line for 2 hours to charge their EV. Pretty typical...

Who has to wait?

The tesla app shows you ALL of their stations and in REAL TIME, shows how many available charging stalls are available. So if a location has 12, and 2 people are currently using it, your app will say 10/12.

It's not hard, we're all adults. We know how to plan.

But i could also charge at home as well. And i have level 1. Perfectly fine.

8 bucks to charge sure sounds lovely rather than 50,60, 70, 80 bucks or more depending on when they feel like raising gas, WHICH IS NOW, because summer is coming lmaooooooooo
      04-15-2023, 09:05 PM   #1814
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: Whatever's in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Who has to wait?

The tesla app shows you ALL of their stations and in REAL TIME, shows how many available charging stalls are available. So if a location has 12, and 2 people are currently using it, your app will say 10/12.

It's not hard, we're all adults. We know how to plan.

But i could also charge at home as well. And i have level 1. Perfectly fine.

8 bucks to charge sure sounds lovely rather than 50,60, 70, 80 bucks or more depending on when they feel like raising gas, WHICH IS NOW, because summer is coming lmaooooooooo
OK, so no one has ever had to wait for a charger for an EV....cool. I know better. And If I don't want to spend $60k on a car to "save money" on gas, that's my choice too. At least for now. But if you honestly think that electric rates are going to stay what they are now when everything is being forced to using electricity....
Appreciate 6
      04-16-2023, 03:10 AM   #1815
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Ah, fair enough. Didn’t see you were not in the US.
Do you have Texaco Supreme Performance + gas over there, it's the best one for M cars over here according to tests.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 05:40 AM   #1816
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
OK, so no one has ever had to wait for a charger for an EV....cool. I know better. And If I don't want to spend $60k on a car to "save money" on gas, that's my choice too. At least for now. But if you honestly think that electric rates are going to stay what they are now when everything is being forced to using electricity....
Never said no one has to wait. You guys are implying EV charging is like that costco picture where people are waiting hours. That is a costco gas station now

It's just amusing people who don't know shit about how to live with an EV are the ones who are telling others how EV living works lmaoooooo

"Electric rates" will probably go up but gas prices are already on the move. 93 for exxon for my G80 yesterday was 4.89 a gallon. We're not even at summer yet. I predict around 5.50 for 93 by summer time. In the future charging my EV will be what? Maybe 30 bucks? In what? 10-15 years from now? Still a lot cheaper than the 80 or so you're filling your M car, TODAY.

I'll enjoy my 8 bucks to charge my tesla!

2035 on the move!
      04-16-2023, 06:36 AM   #1817
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

There is an old British saying for his story, and “he’s full of it”

The only way it’s ever going to take 23 minutes to get gasoline in a gas station is if you have to go take a dump and you’re backed up. Now there are some times in Florida when you’re in an area where a hurricane is coming and gas stations can get back up and people have to wait but those are normally dumb ass newbies that just moved here from up north that don’t know any better and are panicked.

I know several Tesla owners. I absolutely know the story behind it. It costs much more than $8 to charge a Tesla from 0 to 100% and it takes a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes. If you’re not charging it at home, the platform is pointless beyond a conversation piece toy for the Joneses, like to brag about. At least for now until they figure out how to charge them faster and make about 10,000 times more charging stations AFTER the country massively upgrades its electrical grid as we’ve discussed in detail during this thread. The poor kid doesn’t realize he lost the argument when multiple articles were posted on this thread from ultra green advocacy groups, sadly stating the same challenges for electric vehicles that we have. He can lololol until he passes out, but that doesn’t change the facts and the challenges facing electric vehicles usage in the future.

Not to mention, he lives in a state, where it’s mandatory that a gas station employee pump your gas for you and the price of gasoline is remarkably high, compared to other more free states in our union.

Really? By me Costco is generally a good 20+ cents cheaper than the surrounding stations.

You’re bringing up a sore point with me. You would think I could save more money at Costco for gas but it’s just not so. There is probably no less than 15 gas stations less than a mile from my Costco. Everybody’s within 2 to 3 cents of each other with Costco being the lowest. I still love the place though for other things I buy there.
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN14239.00
      04-16-2023, 06:59 AM   #1818
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Patton250;30039390]There is an old British saying for his story, and “he’s full of it”

The only way it’s ever going to take 23 minutes to get gasoline in a gas station is if you have to go take a dump and you’re backed up. Now there are some times in Florida when you’re in an area where a hurricane is coming and gas stations can get back up and people have to wait but those are normally dumb ass newbies that just moved here from up north that don’t know any better and are panicked.

I know several Tesla owners. I absolutely know the story behind it. It costs much more than $8 to charge a Tesla from 0 to 100% and it takes a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes. If you’re not charging it at home, the platform is pointless beyond a conversation piece toy the Joneses, like to brag about. At least for now until they figure out how to charge them faster and make about 10,000 times more charging stations AFTER the country massively upgrades its electrical grid as we’ve discussed in detail during this thread. The poor kid doesn’t realize he lost the argument when multiple articles were posted on this thread from ultra green advocacy groups, sadly stating the same challenges for electric vehicles that we have. He can lololol until he passes out, but that doesn’t change the facts and the challenges facing electric vehicles usage in the future.

This discussion has gone around and around on this thread numerous times. Facts, articles and common sense positions get put forth and met with "lol 2035 can't come soon enough" with nothing more than more LOL to back it up. I gave up that part of this discussion a while ago as it has just turned into trolling.
Appreciate 4
Patton2502959.00
lakefront598.50
M5Rick66604.00
kyriian938.50
      04-16-2023, 07:06 AM   #1819
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post

This discussion has gone around and around on this thread numerous times. Facts, articles and common sense positions get put forth and met with "lol 2035 can't come soon enough" with nothing more than more LOL to back it up. I gave up that part of this discussion a while ago as it has just turned into trolling.
Very true. However, I only responded to him because he was misleading everyone and there are a couple new guys on the thread. There’s a guy on another thread that claims he gets 900 miles for $17 charging at home. A quick Google search from the most pro EV sites you can find and their numbers don’t come anywhere close to that. But that’s what these guys have come down to. Exaggerating benefits, and usage costs. I can ignore his trolling, but I’m not going to stand for that. I’m also not going to argue with it. As I stated, I have multiple sources and people I know that have Teslas. I know the truth about usage costs and times and locations for charging.
Appreciate 5
      04-16-2023, 07:08 AM   #1820
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
And there's proof people don't know shit about EV's.

Who said it takes 20 minutes to go from 0-100?

Tesla doesn't recommend EVER charging to 100 unless you're road tripping. I personally set my charge limit to 80, 90 if i use a SC.

And it will always always always cost less than filling up gas. No argument in the world will ever combat that. Just how it is.

Have fun with your 5+ bucks a gallon of gas come summer time, 6+ if you're in cali.

2035 on the move!! lmaoooooooooooooooooooo
      04-16-2023, 07:12 AM   #1821
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
There is an old British saying for his story, and “he’s full of it”

I know several Tesla owners. I absolutely know the story behind it. It costs much more than $8 to charge a Tesla from 0 to 100% and it takes a hell of a lot longer than 20 minutes. If you’re not charging it at home, the platform is pointless beyond a conversation piece toy the Joneses, like to brag about. At least for now until they figure out how to charge them faster and make about 10,000 times more charging stations AFTER the country massively upgrades its electrical grid as we’ve discussed in detail during this thread. The poor kid doesn’t realize he lost the argument when multiple articles were posted on this thread from ultra green advocacy groups, sadly stating the same challenges for electric vehicles that we have. He can lololol until he passes out, but that doesn’t change the facts and the challenges facing electric vehicles usage in the future.

Not to mention, he lives in a state, where it’s mandatory that a gas station employee pump your gas for you and the price of gasoline is remarkably high, compared to other more free states in our union.

You’re bringing up a sore point with me. You would think I could save more money at Costco for gas but it’s just not so. There is probably no less than 15 gas stations less than a mile from my Costco. Everybody’s within 2 to 3 cents of each other with Costco being the lowest. I still love the place though for other things I buy there.
I have a friend with a Model Y. He roadtrips from Northern Virginia down south to Southern Virginia and North Carolina to visit his kids. He really enjoys roadtripping the Y because of the Tesla navigation software which includes built-in charge planning. The advantage of Tesla, which BGM points out, is the company's charging network. With a trip setup in the navigation system and the driver's preferred recharge plan, the Tesla network system plans when and where to recharge based on the trip route, state of charge on the battery, and charge point availability. It's all matrix'd together with the other Tesla owners roadtripping.

My friend is a GA pilot so he is used to that level of trip planning detail around fuel level state. He found the best charging scheme to minimize charge time is to charge the battery when it is around 50% depleted. It takes one addition stop, but each charge event is shorter in length. The really neat thing with Tesla's network is the car will begin to condition the battery for the fast possible charge rate.

And that is the problem with other EV brands, they do not have the integrated charging network coupled with the advanced trip planning the Tesla network has. BGM is correct on that point, but that point only.
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
M5Rick66604.00
      04-16-2023, 07:31 AM   #1822
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have a friend with a Model Y. He roadtrips from Northern Virginia down south to Southern Virginia and North Carolina to visit his kids. He really enjoys roadtripping the Y because of the Tesla navigation software which includes built-in charge planning. The advantage of Tesla, which BGM points out, is the company's charging network. With a trip setup in the navigation system and the driver's preferred recharge plan, the Tesla network system plans when and where to recharge based on the trip route, state of charge on the battery, and charge point availability. It's all matrix'd together with the other Tesla owners roadtripping.

My friend is a GA pilot so he is used to that level of trip planning detail around fuel level state. He found the best charging scheme to minimize charge time is to charge the battery when it is around 50% depleted. It takes one addition stop, but each charge event is shorter in length. The really neat thing with Tesla's network is the car will begin to condition the battery for the fast possible charge rate.

And that is the problem with other EV brands, they do not have the integrated charging network coupled with the advanced trip planning the Tesla network has. BGM is correct on that point, but that point only.
I’ve never argued that Tesla isn’t the best of them all. In my opinion from everything I’ve seen they absolutely are. They had better be since they have been going at it for more than 10 years with massive government subsidies. The rest of the guys will have to catch up no doubt. However, that does not change all the facts we have laid out in this thread. Your friend and his model Y puts up with the detailed mapping because he likes it. Nothing wrong with that of course. I do 40,000 miles a year and I just don’t have time for that nonsense. Have your friend in this model Y start with a full charge from my house in Tampa and let him and I leave at the same time and head to Atlanta. Who’s going to get there first? Me by at least two hours.

Today, as it stands all electric vehicles, especially Tesla are no more than bragging right toys for the middle class and D.I.N.K’s. Of course, the upper middle class buy high-end electric vehicles well beyond the quality of Tesla. All of those people in both groups have gas powered cars also. Electric vehicles are entirely too expensive today for the lower middle class and forget about the poor. We shall find out if the future affords longer lasting, higher mileage, used electric vehicles that can filter their way in an affordable fashion to the lower middle class and the poor I just mentioned. As of today it’s not happening.
Appreciate 5
Cos270608.50
M5Rick66604.00
Efthreeoh18707.50
KRS_SN14239.00
      04-16-2023, 08:43 AM   #1823
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I’ve never argued that Tesla isn’t the best of them all. In my opinion from everything I’ve seen they absolutely are. They had better be since they have been going at it for more than 10 years with massive government subsidies. The rest of the guys will have to catch up no doubt. However, that does not change all the facts we have laid out in this thread. Your friend and his model Y puts up with the detailed mapping because he likes it. Nothing wrong with that of course. I do 40,000 miles a year and I just don’t have time for that nonsense. Have your friend in this model Y start with a full charge from my house in Tampa and let him and I leave at the same time and head to Atlanta. Who’s going to get there first? Me by at least two hours.

Today, as it stands all electric vehicles, especially Tesla are no more than bragging right toys for the middle class and D.I.N.K’s. Of course, the upper middle class buy high-end electric vehicles well beyond the quality of Tesla. All of those people in both groups have gas powered cars also. Electric vehicles are entirely too expensive today for the lower middle class and forget about the poor. We shall find out if the future affords longer lasting, higher mileage, used electric vehicles that can filter their way in an affordable fashion to the lower middle class and the poor I just mentioned. As of today it’s not happening.
I agree with you 100% and you hit it exactly right, being a GA pilot, Pete's affinity to detailed route planning the Tesla provides is advantageous for Tesla to sell a car to Pete. And the Tesla network supports a minimal level of road tripping because of the ability for the network to change route planning on the fly and preconditioning the battery for the fastest recharge when on the road. That is a huge advantage for Tesla that the non-Tesla charging infrastructure will never match. I, like you and the other 200 million ICE owners have no patience to plan a road trip around tank size and distance.

The Tesla network however, takes the randomness out of road tripping, which is why a lot of people road trip in the first place, to have fun and have adventure. The tesla network ties the driver to a predetermined path based on SOC of the battery and charging station availability tied to the final destination.

And what BGM gets a hard-on over about 2035 doesn't view the world outside of New Jersey, because he nor anyone else has said anything about the millions of people who ride and road trip motorcycles all over the USA. A gasoline engine ban in 2035 will end the motorcycle industry. I'm sure the MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) is chatting up its Congressional contacts as we speak about the current emissions wet dream recently announced in an attempt to kill off the internal combustion engine.

And BGM and his like dumbass politicians have no clue of how drastically reducing gasoline consumption will impact the commercial airline industry, home heating oil industry, and other petrochemical products. This whole EV impetus is just asinine.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-16-2023 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 4
Patton2502959.00
Cos270608.50
M5Rick66604.00
      04-16-2023, 08:53 AM   #1824
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I agree with you 100% and you hit it exactly right, being a GA pilot, Pete's affinity to detailed route planning the Tesla provides is advantageous for Tesla to sell a car to Pete. And the Tesla network supports a minimal level of road tripping because of the ability for the network to change route planning on the fly and preconditioning the battery for the fastest recharge when on the road. That is a huge advantage for Tesla that the non-Tesla charging infrastructure will never match. I, like you and the other 200 million ICE owners have no patience to plan a road trip.

The Tesla network however, takes the randomness out of road tripping, which is why a lot of people road trip in the first place, to have fun and have adventure. The tesla network ties the driver to a predetermined path based on SOC of the battery and charging station availability tied to the final destination.

And what BGM gets a hard-on over about 2035 doesn't view the world outside of New Jersey, because he nor anyone else has said anything about the millions of people who ride and road trip motorcycles all over the USA. A gasoline engine ban in 2035 will end the motorcycle industry. I'm sure the MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) is chatting up its Congressional contacts as we speak about the current emissions wet dream recently announced in an attempt to kill off the internal combustion engine.

And BGM and his like dumbass politicians have no clue of how drastically reducing gasoline consumption will impact the commercial airline industry, home heating oil industry, and other petrochemical products. This whole EV impetus is just asinine.
In January we replaced our 12 year old propane furnace with a new high efficiency one and a heat pump. We saw our propane usage over the winter fall by half. That's good, our electric usage went up. We live in what is considered southern Canada, the heat pump keeps the house warm easily to when the outside temp goes down to -15C, but it often gets colder than that here and it is usually colder than that the farther north you go. There is no viable other way to keep warm in the winter months without using some sort of fossil fuel for heating. Until all the smart people come up with a viable solution to replace fossil fuel with reliable energy sources and infrastructure to support it we are a long way from turning off the taps.
Appreciate 3
Patton2502959.00
Efthreeoh18707.50
      04-16-2023, 11:44 AM   #1825
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Rut roh, i read something on the interwebz just now.

Something is brewing for around 2028-2030. I guess 2030 on the move? lmaoooo
      04-16-2023, 01:23 PM   #1826
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
youve never been to a Costco?

Sunday morning ritual after I detail the cars. Premium is about $.40/gallon less here than the Shell station I go to. The $4 to $6 per week I save doesn't make that much of a difference, but it adds up over the year. Our GL with a 26 gallon tank ONLY gets filled up at Costco!

Appreciate 0